Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i hate this loving egg. absolute dogshit egg

Someone's not a fan of Leonor Fini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

that dinosaur's saying don't look at me dude, i'm outta here

haha yea, whole lotta paternity testing gonna be needed before he accepts responsibility for that lovely-rear end egg

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

astral posted:

What if the paperback cover was fine, but they made the ebook cover insane?

mass market paperback (1993):

kindle edition (2015):

Santa Maria

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

astral posted:

What if the paperback cover was fine, but they made the ebook cover insane?

mass market paperback (1993):

kindle edition (2015):

the two dr. dimension books probably made me laugh harder as a 13-year-old than basically anything else I'd seen

what even the gently caress is happening with that ebook tho

here's a couple I bought on the same shopping trip some time back

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

thats the one where chewbacca got squished, because a moon fell on him.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

time seemed to slow down as I read that title

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Lmao hell yeah

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Unfortunately this book does not live up to expectations. Well, I mean it's all right there on the cover, but hoo boy it's a boring read otherwise.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I dunno why I'm supposed to care about their rear end goblins, but hoo boy is Auschwitz Cameron Pierce an unfortunate name.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Youremother posted:

Unfortunately this book does not live up to expectations. Well, I mean it's all right there on the cover, but hoo boy it's a boring read otherwise.

I've read worse, which is the most damning of faint praise.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
how are any of those even real

i don't know how publishing works; do authors get to choose the book's cover or is it done by some guy who gets the title and no other info?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
this may be cheating, but here's the cover to beloved wererollercoaster classic Twisted:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

this may be cheating, but here's the cover to beloved wererollercoaster classic Twisted:

That was a fun readalong thread

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

how are any of those even real

i don't know how publishing works; do authors get to choose the book's cover or is it done by some guy who gets the title and no other info?

my understanding is that in trad publishing a sufficiently popular or successful author will get a veto (or even more say) but it’s generally the publisher in charge of the cover

I think if you’re self-publishing on Amazon or whatever, you can pick it, but you have to have the rights to the images on it—which is how you get clip art Einstein and the royalty-free aliens

but I’m not actually in publishing I just like a handful of authors at various levels. someone who is could and should correct me if I’m talking out of my rear end

Anyway check this mf out

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the 80s William Johnstone covers are so good

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Anyway check this mf out

Wanna read The Adventures of Young Ghost Rider where Ghost Rider has run-ins with all the most famous people at the turn of the century and joins up to fight in WW1 with his fat friend.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC Charles Stross has said that his publisher gave him one veto for book covers, which is how he ended up with this

after he already used it on another book

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
big 90s graphics card box energy

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC Charles Stross has said that his publisher gave him one veto for book covers, which is how he ended up with this

after he already used it on another book

When the cover designer doesn't use descriptive filenames and accidentally submits their Tripping the Rift fanart.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The author has some problems with higher education

Edit:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 8, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hexwren posted:

the two dr. dimension books probably made me laugh harder as a 13-year-old than basically anything else I'd seen

what even the gently caress is happening with that ebook tho

here's a couple I bought on the same shopping trip some time back

Photon was the first laser tag arena brand in the US, their home version came out directly opposite Lazer Tag.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Midjack posted:

Photon was the first laser tag arena brand in the US, their home version came out directly opposite Lazer Tag.

yeah, i have dim memories of watching the attendant tv show as a small child - it's crazy stuff, possibly made moreso by the fact that all the copies of episodes uploaded to youtube that I've seen are in absolutely dogshit condition.

i was mostly posting that since i had the photo handy and mike moorcock's official hawkwind fanfiction is important and in line with the thread's energy

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

hahahah YES!!!! I love the blurb from the author of The Female Man (???)

TIMG'd for tasteful Female Man nudity.

I really wanted crazier.

...that's more like it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I kind of envy the ability of people like this to take a premise that is like barely even a joke and flesh it out into an entire story, not stopping once to ask "is this idea worth this amount of effort?"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I kind of envy the ability of people like this to take a premise that is like barely even a joke and flesh it out into an entire story, not stopping once to ask "is this idea worth this amount of effort?"

Rape Stove: the Stove that Rapes People

Lmao I'd completely forgotten about this one. Is it the book where they search for treasure literally hidden between a roc and a hard place?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 11, 2023

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

deeply disappointed in somebody if this book isn't just lorem ipsum inside

rear end Goblins of Auschwitz, now, I don't know how you fumble that ball

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 11, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

for some of these people the stupid gimmick books are where they dump ideas they can't fully flesh out from less gimmicky works

give the dragon a girl tattoo, bam unfinished book is good enough to sell.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TIMG tasteful time-rear end

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Needle in a Timestack got a movie adaptation where they actually kept the name.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I remember finding this in the library back in high school.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Grizzwold posted:

Never knew this was art for a book.
It’s great 80s fantasy art but I’ve never seen it paired with a book cover until now.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Grizzwold posted:

Me coming home from the bar after striking out

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Artist page here, he sells prints: https://davidmattingly.com

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

barnold posted:

this was a hardcover but easily the best cover

those books had some of the most insane illustrations ever and i love it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006