Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Midjack posted:

Artist page here, he sells prints: https://davidmattingly.com

Omg this is a goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Russian book covers from the 90s and very early 00s were absolutely insane. It's like the nation was expressing its mental distress through extremely tacky and lovely book cover art. I'm gonna dig out a couple of the worst ones next time I'm at my parents.

In the mean time, here is a Soviet one from a time when things were still going ok

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

madmatt112 posted:

Omg this is a goldmine

the cat! yes!!!!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Midjack posted:

legit going to pick up this series (Honor Harrington) because of the implication this hardnosed space ship captain refuses to part with her terrifying cat no matter how impractical of a choice that might be

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

David rules

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Midjack posted:

Oh cool, the Animorphs cover art.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

secret volcano lair posted:

favorite one i own. this is what scifi was all about in 1964

You can't fool me, that's Gannondorf.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The German cover is really something too:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

fritz posted:

The German cover is really something too:

Here's the Kindle version currently on Amazon

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

WarpDogs posted:

legit going to pick up this series (Honor Harrington) because of the implication this hardnosed space ship captain refuses to part with her terrifying cat no matter how impractical of a choice that might be

I read like the first two and this is very much the case. Like, she even has padding on her jacket because of the space cats claws and the space cat has its own custom kennel with life support for when space navies clash.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

drat this accurately represents how cats feel to me on mushrooms

brb fetching treats for this cat because it made me feel confused and slightly subservient

does it know~?! HOW?!?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm loving most of what I'm seeing but David's really phoning it in on some of these

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

some great avs itt

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Scholastic Book Fair Av/Sig Thread would be fun

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I'm loving most of what I'm seeing but David's really phoning it in on some of these

He went a little downhill when he started working in digital.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Found another good one:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

fake books are cheating !!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Feddafuqup is :discourse:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I know i have this book somewhere and I'm sure it's an earlier printing than this one because while i can not remember the cover at all, it absolutely cannot be that. I won't allow it.

This, on the other hand, is beautiful.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Nearly a decade ago I stayed in an Airbnb owned by Tony sansevero who was renting our spare rooms and he made his living creating sci-fi covers and had a whole room dedicated to the art and covers. It ruled

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
lol that Fox Family logo activated a part of my brain that hasn't been booted up in decades

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

buffalo all day posted:

fake books are cheating !!

I wanted to believe that it was real so much that I forgot to do my due diligence, especially with that obviously fake author name. I am ashamed before you, RSF. :smith:

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Jossar posted:

I wanted to believe that it was real so much that I forgot to do my due diligence, especially with that obviously fake author name. I am ashamed before you, RSF. :smith:

The cover sure looks real though, text aside.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Grizzwold posted:

I remember finding this in the library back in high school.

I saw this on the paperbacks shelf at my local comic book store recently, but I passed it over. Anybody know if it's worth picking up? I would accept good-good or good-bad as long as it's not boring.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

48 Hour Boner posted:

The cover sure looks real though, text aside.

yeah I’m pretty sure Paperback Paradise only rewrites the text and all the cover paintings etc are accurate

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From my book collection:

From my mother's Narnia books:

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Dildohands

Only registered members can see post attachments!

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I'm not sure Dildohands is an actual book, but it should be.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

central dogma posted:

:hai:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

central dogma posted:

it's actual cover art and seemingly representative of the plot, Dildohands just makes it clear.

Goodreads

Summary

Enter the world of Chrome, where nothing is as it seems. In the 22nd century, a forbidden love between a man and a machine spins the Earth toward one final war.

Genres

Science Fiction
Gay
LGBT
Romance
Fiction
M M Romance
Queer

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Owl at Home posted:

I saw this on the paperbacks shelf at my local comic book store recently, but I passed it over. Anybody know if it's worth picking up? I would accept good-good or good-bad as long as it's not boring.

I remember it as being pretty good, but it's also been thirty years since I read it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

it's actual cover art and seemingly representative of the plot, Dildohands just makes it clear.

Goodreads

Summary

Enter the world of Chrome, where nothing is as it seems. In the 22nd century, a forbidden love between a man and a machine spins the Earth toward one final war.

Genres

Science Fiction
Gay
LGBT
Romance
Fiction
M M Romance
Queer

Domo Arigato, Fister Roboto

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

and the WWWE:

this is a stretch to call a 'paperback' but i remember finding it a bit dubious looking even when i was like 10:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jossar posted:

Found another good one:

Fake or not that tagline owns

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I was always partial to this cover

The book ain't great but the cover is really eerie

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Owl at Home posted:

It is very good. It is also book 1 of a trilogy, so the plot doesn't wrap up very well, but the other two books should be fairly easy to find. (There are at least two more books after the trilogy, but their plots are single-book.) Barbara Hambly is a good author, no weird sex scenes. Some is meant to be as much horror as fantasy.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Alhazred posted:

From my mother's Narnia books:

Oh gently caress yes, Norwegian publishing houses in circa the 1970s-1980s were on some good drugs. I grew up on a ton of this stuff.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Owl at Home posted:

Barbara Hambly is an actual good author and this is actual good 1980s fantasy, from before everything had to be a trilogy with seven books of 1000+ pages each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I kind of envy the ability of people like this to take a premise that is like barely even a joke and flesh it out into an entire story, not stopping once to ask "is this idea worth this amount of effort?"

Haven't read that one but Adam Roberts is in fact a very good and clever author. Dude has a bunch of pretty serious SF novels to his name, and a good handful of other silly-rear end parody novels like this one.