Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

everyone is normal except voles, who are hobbit size, and moles, who are d&d dwarf size. hares and otters and foxes are tall normal. badgers are large, like ogres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
that's probably right but also way lamer

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I'm the thinly veiled allegory of how you can't trust [insert race here] being ascribed specifically to weasels, stoats and minks, as whenever a good and virtuous public school accented pip pip chocks away chaps badger mouse or hare type decides to trust one of them, say "they're not all bad" and treat them kindly once per book, they then betray them no matter the situation thus proving you can never trust [insert race here]

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

redleader posted:

that's probably right but also way lamer

it is. the original redwall book that had, like, a full-size horse in it and mice living in a human-size abbey was way better than "everyone is between 4' and 10' except snakes"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
that dude really loves writing about food

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
a mouse with a tiny sword climbing a draft horse like it's shadow of the fuckin colossus (note that i have never played that game)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
even as a 12 year old kid I recognized the power creep in these books, the early ones have relatable heroes who aren't good at things but the later ones have godlike warrior heroes who fight their way through a billion rats unscathed

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

A CRAB IRL posted:

I'm the thinly veiled allegory of how you can't trust [insert race here] being ascribed specifically to weasels, stoats and minks, as whenever a good and virtuous public school accented pip pip chocks away chaps badger mouse or hare type decides to trust one of them, say "they're not all bad" and treat them kindly once per book, they then betray them no matter the situation thus proving you can never trust [insert race here]

i am pretty sure one of the later books' protagonists is actually a weasel or stoat or whatever the gently caress

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it is. the original redwall book that had, like, a full-size horse in it and mice living in a human-size abbey was way better than "everyone is between 4' and 10' except snakes"

I read them out of order so I was very confused when I got to Redwall and suddenly climbing the abbey stairs was a huge deal and Matthias ascending the bell tower was like climbing a mountain

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I lost interest real quick when every single book ended up being the same thing, and every villain was a coward next to every perfect hero.

Also:

A CRAB IRL posted:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cumpantry posted:

i am pretty sure one of the later books' protagonists is actually a weasel or stoat or whatever the gently caress

Yes, and then he betrayed the good animals for no reason and went back to join the evil horde, as everyone had predicted because it's in his nature

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Taught me to enjoy candied chestnuts OP

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the holy poopacy posted:

Yes, and then he betrayed the good animals for no reason and went back to join the evil horde, as everyone had predicted because it's in his nature

oh. yeah but i bet that book had some cool fights and food

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
The first book opens with a torture scene, i went back and reread it recently and was pretty shocked by how brutal it was.
I went to school with a kid that shouted eulalia in gym.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Wow, this dude really likes writing about food" is my main take away from the few Redwall books my friend who was obsessed with the series convinced me to read.

You sometimes hear discourse around other genre books, especially A Song of Ice and Fire, as "wow this author writes about food a lot." After reading so much Redwall as a kid though anything under 2 full pages of uninterrupted feast description doesn't even register as out of the ordinary for me.

the holy poopacy posted:

The Redwall series consists of exactly two books, Redwall and Redwall But Slightly Different, but for some reason they wound up publishing the second book under a lot of different names.

Perfect (and also why I can't remember which book in the series I liked best)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

PartyCrown posted:

Lmao

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
At some point I started rooting for the villains since they were always so obviously doomed and many of the heroes were such smug pricks who delighted in slaughtering vermin. Pearls of Lutra was my favorite because the protagonist didn't come off like a kid who enjoys pulling the wings off flies, and I enjoyed any of the storylines about long voyages more than the mostly abbey-bound ones. I made it to Marlfox before I just got tired of the same poo poo happening every time, didn't finish it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

PartyCrown posted:

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PartyCrown posted:

The first book opens with a torture scene, i went back and reread it recently and was pretty shocked by how brutal it was.

lol

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

At some point I started rooting for the villains since they were always so obviously doomed and many of the heroes were such smug pricks who delighted in slaughtering vermin. Pearls of Lutra was my favorite because the protagonist didn't come off like a kid who enjoys pulling the wings off flies, and I enjoyed any of the storylines about long voyages more than the mostly abbey-bound ones. I made it to Marlfox before I just got tired of the same poo poo happening every time, didn't finish it.

yeah the ones about journeys that explored more of the world were way more compelling compared to a dozen variations on "a horde of vermin is coming to besiege Redwall Abbey, let's have a feast, let's send a hero off to gather allies to break the siege, oh there's Log-a-log, oh there's a badger, okay big battle, the horde of vermin is wiped out, oh no two of the named characters died, the end."

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I just reread the first one and it's insanely good writing. I understand why I was obsessed.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
i am going to try to remember what happens in the books without looking anything up

REDWALL- as stated the world isn’t quite fully realised and there’s stuff like apparently human sized places, towns, dogs, horses, cats etc. there is a cat who is nice

MOSSFLOWER- first one i read. jumps right back to the founding of the abbey. first appearance of bloodwrath badgers. they row a ship up a river and it has an insane female villain who he seems to get off on describing her drowning in some detail. she has a good brother who is an ancestor of the nice cat. this is about the last we see of some members of a species being nice and some not

MATTIMEO- back in the present again, the one with the hosed up child slavery and the indiana jones underground kingdom poo poo. the guy falls out of a basket and he’s weak and frail and gets stoned to death by all his child slaves. pretty hosed up

MARIEL OF REDWALL- jumps to another timeline in between the first two i think. the first appearance of “dibbun”. hot female warrior protagonist who washes up on a beach with amnesia, forages for food on a beach and hits a seagull with a rope so calls herself storm gullwhacker

SALAMANDASTRON- cant remember anything except i think sunflash from redwall is in it. or maybe it’s urthstripe and urthwhyte (albino badger) i dunno

MARTIN THE WARRIOR- what martin did before he showed up in mossflower. son of luke the warrior. its in the northlands. can’t remember wtf happens

- at this point i can’t remember what order the books were in so i’ll just type whatever i remember first

THE PEARLS OF LUTRA- probably the best one, he had perfected the formula and started to swagger a little. otter girl wants revenge for her massacred tribe and the redwallers solve a shitload of riddles in the sunken ruins of the castle from mossflower to find the tribe’s pearls

OUTCAST OF REDWALL- scumtripe. this one had sunflash in (i think there was some fuckup where he forgot his name and thought he was called sunstripe because the nickname doesn’t work otherwise). he tried to make a redeemed vermin guy and the result is the most out and out racist one though it seems vaugely self aware about it

THE BELLMAKER- i think this was the one in southsward, if so he was really phoning it the gently caress in at this point. boring as poo poo. i think it’s the origin story of why the bell in redwall is called the joseph bell

i think that’s about all i can remember. i stopped reading when i hit puberty

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

was anybody else in the redwall readers club? i was. i put all the posters up in my room. i wore my "ive been to redwall" shirt every other day. i built the paper craft build your own redwall abbey. i wrote to brian jacques and got an autographed poster! i know all timelines and how every character is related to every other character. i want to name my cat ungatt trunn but my mom wont let me. i love those books. still do, too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'd venture that Lord Brocktree or perhaps The Legend of Luke is the best Redwall book

Long Patrol is my favorite though

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was super into these books as a kid and read basically all of them

When someone else came into school reading one once, i got super excited and spoiled the ending for him, and still am not sure why i did so. His face fell and he just put the book down and i felt like an enormous dickhead

Marlfox and Long Patrol kicked rear end

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I learned that there were two books in the series published posthumously that I had never heard of and I'm curious to read them. I'll get there eventually.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Outcast of Redwall (the one where he tries to confront the race problem) is super loving depressing. the abbey gets stuck with a verminous child who was abandoned during one of the raids, and they basically all hate him prejudicially from minute one except this poor dumb bleeding heart kid who mothers him. The wise old badger in residence even names him with this cryptic couplet that basically says he’s probably gonna turn out evil. It’s effectively jarring to see all the nice proper abbey guys being so openly racist and mean to a kid, and no surprise when he turns out hating them all and doing crimes. So eventually they have enough of him and throw him the gently caress out to become a hobo. He goes looking for his real dad who is a mercenary bastard who never cared about him, and eventually kills him for being in the way, right in front of his bleeding heart wannabe-mother who abandoned her home to try and help him. In the end they put her (the bleeding heart, who is a teenager btw) in charge of the whole abbey, probably because they all feel so guilty about the poo poo they put her through.

Later in the series (Taggerung) they do the reverse (vermin raise a good guy baby) and surprise surprise it turns out they are unable to verminize him and he stays good and turns on the vermin. There is however a weirdly heavy scene in the middle where it turns out that the comic relief sidekick (also from a good guy species) used to get abused by his dad and ran away from home, and then they plan to go back there and teach him a lesson only to find that the home is a ruin and the abusive dad got butchered.

FPzero posted:

I learned that there were two books in the series published posthumously that I had never heard of and I'm curious to read them. I'll get there eventually.

The later books in the series are pretty bad. Yeah yeah it’s a kids series and was always formulaic and it’s to be expected they ran out of steam, but the early stuff is still readable. I did a complete readthrough as an adult after giving up around Taggerung or Triss as a kid, mostly just to see if they came up with anything new, and it just kind of peters out in mediocrity. I’m not sure at what point the dementia and/or ghostwriting sets in but there’s no way all the books are the product of the same mind either.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

MARTIN THE WARRIOR- what martin did before he showed up in mossflower. son of luke the warrior. its in the northlands. can’t remember wtf happens

This one is good. A pirate captain goes legit and tries to build a fortress on shore with slave labor to become a king, but his rear end in a top hat fellow pirates keep crashing in on him to mess with him. Meanwhile the angriest mouse in history escapes from slavery and wanders the land collecting allies to help him get revenge and free the slaves. There’s a memorably racist bit where he wins over a tribe of infantile cannibals, a weird scene where they get roofied by a cranky old hermit, and a surprisingly bitter ending (his girlfriend gets killed and he wanders off southward, never to score again). It ends with the last surviving pirate yakking crazily to himself about the good times while trucking around the ruined fortress full of corpses.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I remember reading that one I think the protagonist's name was "Veil" or something and I remember thinking "you motherfuckers turned him into a monster with your prejudice" and it was the last of the books I read because it was so depressing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Another fun thing about the early books is that the shrews start out as a (celebratory) satire of left-wing workers movements. The goof-rear end acronym names, all the ridiculous procedural rules combined with avowed anarchism, the tendency to tear each other new assholes about personal grudges while everyone’s openly affirmed enemies are running roughshod over civil society etc. They literally call one another “comrade”. This subtext gets completely lost by a couple of books in and rapidly the shrews become just another tribe of good guys but with boats, but while it’s there it’s absolutely hilarious.

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 3, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I remember reading that one I think the protagonist's name was "Veil" or something and I remember thinking "you motherfuckers turned him into a monster with your prejudice" and it was the last of the books I read because it was so depressing.

yea thats outcast of redwall

also he had a deformed paw which was also a sign that he would be evil

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I didn't like the poems and it sucked because sometimes it was just some crack going off for two pages of rhymes about why they're the best fighter in the forest and sometimes it was an important riddle.

No more poems, Brian!!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Skip the poems/songs, go whole hog on the mole accent

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked the otter who had such beautiful eyelashes he always looked like he was sleepy

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Jonah Galtberg posted:

real redwall fankids rocked this bad boy, I bet you could play some kind of sweet tabletop game with it: https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Redwall-Abbey/dp/0399233792

would have killed for this if I knew about it. Instead I made my own models out of milk cartons, following whatever pen and ink illustration was in the chapter headings.

I remember there were three different artists? and one of them was was fine, one was dull, and one was like rocket fuel for my imagination.

e: ok according to the wiki there were five different chapter icon artists:

Gary Chalk

Chris Baker aka FANGORN

Allan Curless

David Elliot

Sean Rubin

rollick fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 3, 2023

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

getting a very clear message from reading these books... that people should be judged not on their actions, but on their appearance. ok. i can work with this.
At the time this slid right past my frictionless idiot brain but I'd like to think it helped me realize more stuff like that was bullshit later on in life.

everyone is normal except voles, who are hobbit size, and moles, who are d&d dwarf size. hares and otters and foxes are tall normal. badgers are large, like ogres
Don't forget the canon-breaking moment re:scale in the original book where a wildcat almost vores the mouse protagonist whole.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Yeah a certain number of books in the actual underdogs are clearly and obviously the villains - and the Pearls of Lutra might be the most direct example of that despite not having the protagonist cause it, because by the time their boat shows up at Evil Island the big villain is now locked in his besieged and slowly-foundering keep with like twenty bodyguards and everyone else is trying to kill him while he freaks out in the basement talking to himself.

the holy poopacy posted:

Now now, he may have been thinking of the book where a 'good animal' is raised by the 'bad animals' with love and affection and turns on them and abandons them anyways because he Knows What Right And Wrong Are. Later in the book while he's being fixed up after almost dying his tattoos get removed to prove he's got nothing in common with the culture he was born into. This is all very wholesome and has no implic-

skasion posted:

Later in the series (Taggerung) they do the reverse (vermin raise a good guy baby) and surprise surprise it turns out they are unable to verminize him and he stays good and turns on the vermin. There is however a weirdly heavy scene in the middle where it turns out that the comic relief sidekick (also from a good guy species) used to get abused by his dad and ran away from home, and then they plan to go back there and teach him a lesson only to find that the home is a ruin and the abusive dad got butchered.
so yeah right like skasion said.

skasion posted:

Outcast of Redwall (the one where he tries to confront the race problem) is super loving depressing. the abbey gets stuck with a verminous child who was abandoned during one of the raids, and they basically all hate him prejudicially from minute one except this poor dumb bleeding heart kid who mothers him. The wise old badger in residence even names him with this cryptic couplet that basically says he’s probably gonna turn out evil. It’s effectively jarring to see all the nice proper abbey guys being so openly racist and mean to a kid, and no surprise when he turns out hating them all and doing crimes. So eventually they have enough of him and throw him the gently caress out to become a hobo. He goes looking for his real dad who is a mercenary bastard who never cared about him, and eventually kills him for being in the way, right in front of his bleeding heart wannabe-mother who abandoned her home to try and help him. In the end they put her (the bleeding heart, who is a teenager btw) in charge of the whole abbey, probably because they all feel so guilty about the poo poo they put her through.
(Don't forget the part where the bleeding heart mom basically goes 'well he told the truth at the end when he said he was born bad news and i never could've helped him, i guess i shouldn't have cared, better to learn it late than never' WHOLESOME MORALS FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY)

Anyways I stopped reading Redwall after Taggerung, which turned out to be the perfect time because like two books after I did he finally introduced an evil wolverine and apparently the entirety of defeating him - in a setting where a BADGER is an unstoppable murdering machine that takes armies in one end and churns red mist out the other - was 'protagonist uses Martin Sword on his neck and chops his head off.' Of all the missed opportunities that was the most missed opportunity.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

rotinaj posted:

When someone else came into school reading one once, i got super excited and spoiled the ending for him, and still am not sure why i did so. His face fell and he just put the book down and i felt like an enormous dickhead

did... did he think the evil animals were going to win?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

years before the cookbook as a kid came out my stepmom and I invented our own version of the hotroot soup with chicken and dumplings. was my first memory of being taught to cook and we had so much fun picking out the ingredients at the store based on how we imagined it :kimchi:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

rollick posted:

would have killed for this if I knew about it. Instead I made my own models out of milk cartons, following whatever pen and ink illustration was in the chapter headings.

I remember there were three different artists? and one of them was was fine, one was dull, and one was like rocket fuel for my imagination.

e: ok according to the wiki there were five different chapter icon artists:

Gary Chalk

Chris Baker aka FANGORN

Allan Curless

the second artist was my fav i always wanted to draw like them

these three artists are the only ones im familiar with though

the third pic would make for a sick av

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

did... did he think the evil animals were going to win?

He said something about how good the writing was and sperglord 13 year old me went “yeah, it’s rad when cluny the scourge gets crushed by a bell!”

That’s literally how the villain of the book is defeated and i pretty well ruined the climax of the book for him. Sorry, Jason. I was a spergy dork.

I don’t even like spoiling things for people normally, and have gone on to try to make up insane spoilers that are worlds apart from how the actual piece of media ends.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I wish the evil species weren't predestined to be evil :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Bur