Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

cluny the scourge is a cool name for a villainous rat leading a marauding horde of slaves whose tail is a whip with a poison barb attached to the tip. i cant believe he's defeated by a loser mouse who's a monk in an abbey despite not being a christian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

cluny the scourge is a cool name for a villainous rat leading a marauding horde of slaves whose tail is a whip with a poison barb attached to the tip. i cant believe he's defeated by a loser mouse who's a monk in an abbey despite not being a christian

It blows my mind that brian jacques got through an entire career of writing about animals living in a redstone abbey without going all jesus-y

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

rotinaj posted:

It blows my mind that brian jacques got through an entire career of writing about animals living in a redstone abbey without going all jesus-y

he was definitely in it for the medievalism, not the theology. If Jesus had a flail they'd have turned out very different books.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Most of the heroes in Redwall were basically Joan of Arc without the Jesus poo poo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

jokes posted:

Most of the heroes in Redwall were basically Joan of Arc without the Jesus poo poo

huh this is kinda true

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if Jesus had a flail

hell yeah

DarksydePhilFish
Dec 31, 2004

tabarnak ack ack
I appreciated the book where somebody finally notices that the bad guys use that one church as a staging area every drat time, and they burn it to the ground. Not because of any religious undertones; I was just happy someone finally showed some common sense.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Fans of medieval monk fiction could also check out the Cadfael mystery series, which was also huge in the 90s.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

jokes posted:

Fun fact, Cluny was also the name of one of the largest, richest, and most powerful medieval Christian abbeys in Europe

Tiny cute version for mice to live in:

Leftover bit irl:

It amassed an enormous amount of land and had subordinate branch monasteries all across Europe, but declined in the early modern period, got sacked by Calvinists during the French wars of religion, and then almost completely destroyed during the Revolution. Nonetheless it’s well studied to this day because we still have the paper trail of its very extensive property dealings.

Wonder if Jacques meant anything by it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think abbeys and churches are extremely medieval and help to establish the setting

A little strange that there's an implication that someone somewhere is making places of worship without anything to worship I guess

So, are these like normal-rear end rodents or are they human-sized rodents. Redwall had them driving a horse cart, so someone has horses and/or carts. Some of the animals, like an otter or a fox, would easily be able to kill loving any other rodent other than badgers but it seems they're all roughly the same "tier" (except badgers).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hosed up they never mentioned the dog city after the first book

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When I was like eight I met Brian Jacques at a book signing in my town. I remember him being really sweet and when I asked him if he would put a shark in the next book he let me off the hook gently.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

When I was like eight I met Brian Jacques at a book signing in my town. I remember him being really sweet and when I asked him if he would put a shark in the next book he let me off the hook gently.
Wait when did this happen because I'm pretty sure they see a shark in passing when they're sailing south in The Bellringer; it's possible you may have directly altered the course of history.

edit: i'm unable to confirm the Bellringer shark but googling is giving me mentions of a shark in Triss, we may be dealing with a multi-elasmobranch situation here.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 5, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"Listen kid, we don't do that kind of poo poo around here"

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i read a bunch of redwall in middle school because they were breezy reads and a fuckton of ar points so they were an easy ticket to the top 10 to get invited to a pizza party and get a free book

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
2/19/1996: I got this weird feeling in my tummy when I looked over at Tammy today, her t-shirt had these two little bumps in it and between them were all these little stretches and folds in the cloth. I don't know what that feeling was but I got it again later today when I was reading about those voles and Grath Longfletch

3/2/1996: I keep getting that same feeling in my tummy and sometimes it feels like I peed my pants, but now it only happens when I read about or look at pictures of woodland creatures. I hope I'm not sick or something.

4/26/1996: my friend Tom showed me a picture of this pony he drew in Algebra class and I want to gently caress it so bad

no further entries. Transcribed & logged as evidence, Roak Co. PD; 8/28/2004

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

treat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 6, 2023

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Drakyn posted:

Wait when did this happen because I'm pretty sure they see a shark in passing when they're sailing south in The Bellringer; it's possible you may have directly altered the course of history.

edit: i'm unable to confirm the Bellringer shark but googling is giving me mentions of a shark in Triss, we may be dealing with a multi-elasmobranch situation here.

1994 or 1995 I think, I don't remember which one he was promoting.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

1994 or 1995 I think, I don't remember which one he was promoting.
The Bellmaker (no idea how I got 'bellringer' from that) was published in 1994. If I'm not imagining sharks, you may have altered the course of history and or created a time paradox. Congratulations!

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
crying because a mouse's girlfriend died

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"why the hell are all these lovingly-described pies full of vegetables"

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I wish the evil species weren't predestined to be evil :(

outcast of redwall was literally my favourite one. explored this heavily.

however in one of the books, cant remember which one, i think mariel or someone runs into the only 2 good rats ever who just wanna chill, probably because bj thought he could fill some space up with that concept and then never refer to it again

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

this thread made me realize that Brian Jacques was not from france despite my childhood belief he was very french because of his last name.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Theres a good rat in Bellmaker. He’s like a moron gofer who eventually snaps and strangles his evil boss to death

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Redwall prepared me for WHFB's Skaven.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

work home from...basement?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

baka fwocka fwame posted:

outcast of redwall was literally my favourite one. explored this heavily.

however in one of the books, cant remember which one, i think mariel or someone runs into the only 2 good rats ever who just wanna chill, probably because bj thought he could fill some space up with that concept and then never refer to it again

oh my god I remember those two, but not what book they were from. I just remember I was so happy for them.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

hexwren posted:

work home from...basement?

Warhammer Fantasy Battle

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

hexwren posted:

"why the hell are all these lovingly-described pies full of vegetables"

lol would have been pretty grim if he hadn't thought that through properly

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I was daydreaming today about an "Art of Redwall" coffee table book, with cutaway diagrams of the Abbey in pen and ink etc and making myself mad that it never existed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

rollick posted:

I was daydreaming today about an "Art of Redwall" coffee table book, with cutaway diagrams of the Abbey in pen and ink etc and making myself mad that it never existed.

:mad:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I learned so many food words that I had never heard in my life prior to reading those books, many of which I still have not encountered outside of them.

The guy really fuckin loved food.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jokes posted:

So, are these like normal-rear end rodents or are they human-sized rodents. Redwall had them driving a horse cart, so someone has horses and/or carts. Some of the animals, like an otter or a fox, would easily be able to kill loving any other rodent other than badgers but it seems they're all roughly the same "tier" (except badgers).

the series isn't self-consistent on sizes. the earliest books, particularly mossflower, operate on the idea that the mice are literal mice and other things are sized realistically compared to them - the cat who is the villain is a housecat but appears impossibly huge to the mice, for example. as both the good and bad guys get more diverse the world quickly starts to operate on furry logic instead where the scale isn't precisely defined but everybody is operating as though they're all roughly human-sized. perhaps they are all roughly mouse-sized, including mouse-scale horses. who can say.

definitely loved these books as a kid. the middle books (pearls of lutra, long patrol, legend of luke, lord brocktree) were much stronger stories than the early ones, which were sometimes a bit too concerned with christian symbolism and were just plain written by a less experienced author, or the later ones, which started to kind of go up their own rear end with repetitive plots. hard to beat the early books for food descriptions though.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 8, 2023

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The idea that they're mouse-sized mice living in a human-sized abby seems to be toyed with a little in the first book also, with the idea that reaching the sparrows at the top of the abbey is an impossible climb

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The idea that the mice built the abbey was there from the start. IIRC the first couple paragraphs. So it was never like, a human size abbey that mice happen to live in. But in the early books the grand scale of it is stressed in a way that isn’t the case later. The abbey seems old and full of secrets, the roof is literally a foreign country (of birds). The evil castle in the second book that eventually gets paved over to build Redwall has the same vibe, it’s labyrinthine and gothic and might have a giant blind rat boss lurking in the dungeon. It kind of rules. Similarly the third book with its gigantic underground temple driven by pharaonic slave labor.

This definitely changes later. The abbey building itself inevitably becomes much cozier and less mysterious, with a couple of exceptions like when a tree falls on the wall (in Long Patrol I think?) and breaks open by a gnarly pit of slime dungeon which turns out to be the collapsed waterlogged ruins of the evil fortress they paved over to build Redwall.

Jazerus posted:

the world quickly starts to operate on furry logic

Hurts, but is true.

Jazerus posted:

definitely loved these books as a kid. the middle books (pearls of lutra, long patrol, legend of luke, lord brocktree) were much stronger stories than the early ones, which were sometimes a bit too concerned with christian symbolism and were just plain written by a less experienced author, or the later ones, which started to kind of go up their own rear end with repetitive plots. hard to beat the early books for food descriptions though.

Imo the first few books are the strongest. He’s less polished and weirder but they’re just more novel and varied. They’re all pretty readable (except Salamandastron which is tedious and slow) up till a bit after the point you mention, where they just start phoning it in. Triss and Loamhedge are both basically about taking a trip to a previous book in the series. After that it’s just kinda no effort (High Rhulain is basically just the plot of Mossflower but with otters) and some are probably ghostwritten because they sound and feel nothing like older books or for that matter one another.

Also gotta respect the books for starting off with nut brown ale. You know what nice woodland mice and hedgehogs drink kids? Beer.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nut brown ale

you know how the aztecs would spit in honey to ferment it? similar process here, only different. burr aye

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
open world Redwall game with Dark Souls combat

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just remembered one of the nerdiest conversations I had in high school was talking about weird books during a lull in calculus class and I mentioned the time a friend made me read one of the Redwall books and this one dude who I'd basically never talked to before was like "Holy poo poo, you were friends with Ian? He made me read some too!"

It was a big district and there'd been a ton of shuffling kids to different schools as new ones got built (I went to three different schools in three years without even moving), so apparently there was just one dude in that town evangelizing Redwall as a 12 year old.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

Cicadalek posted:

open world Redwall game with Dark Souls combat

this would be the best game ever made

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Souls series attention to combat + the Yakuza series attention to food.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

nut brown ale

you know how the aztecs would spit in honey to ferment it? similar process here, only different. burr aye

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

American McGay posted:

The Souls series attention to combat + the Yakuza series attention to food.

:yeah: