Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

skasion posted:

The idea that the mice built the abbey was there from the start. IIRC the first couple paragraphs. So it was never like, a human size abbey that mice happen to live in. But in the early books the grand scale of it is stressed in a way that isn’t the case later. The abbey seems old and full of secrets, the roof is literally a foreign country (of birds). The evil castle in the second book that eventually gets paved over to build Redwall has the same vibe, it’s labyrinthine and gothic and might have a giant blind rat boss lurking in the dungeon. It kind of rules. Similarly the third book with its gigantic underground temple driven by pharaonic slave labor.

Yeah the mice built a human-size catholic abbey, just like the badgers made an impregnable volcano puzzle fortress that has always had room for exactly one badger. What of it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cicadalek posted:

open world Redwall game with Dark Souls combat

That game is called “tunic”, came out last year and is very good

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

distortion park posted:

lol would have been pretty grim if he hadn't thought that through properly

I'm from the US, if I think pie, I'm thinking apple pie, cherry pie, etc

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

rotinaj posted:

That game is called “tunic”, came out last year and is very good

Oh yeah, that's the one where you have to learn it's language https://store.steampowered.com/app/553420/TUNIC/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have played neither but these always looked Redwally to me:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/417290/Ghost_of_a_Tale/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/286000/Tooth_and_Tail/

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cthulu Carl posted:

Just remembered one of the nerdiest conversations I had in high school was talking about weird books during a lull in calculus class and I mentioned the time a friend made me read one of the Redwall books and this one dude who I'd basically never talked to before was like "Holy poo poo, you were friends with Ian? He made me read some too!"

It was a big district and there'd been a ton of shuffling kids to different schools as new ones got built (I went to three different schools in three years without even moving), so apparently there was just one dude in that town evangelizing Redwall as a 12 year old.

God bless kids/adolescents who force all their friends to consume their obsessive interests, the most vital pollinators in the nerd ecosystem

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Thinkin' about Redwall dredges up some very fond memories :unsmith:

Also dredges up memories of the last time I saw a Redwall thread on SA, which gave us one of my all time favorite posts:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

oim a mole, and me and moi friends will run a train on you in t'woods, burr aye

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Mr. Baps posted:

Thinkin' about Redwall dredges up some very fond memories :unsmith:

Also dredges up memories of the last time I saw a Redwall thread on SA, which gave us one of my all time favorite posts:

ho burr aye

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tooth and Tail owns

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Not too happy with Russia in general atm but they had some extremely good redwall covers

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The red wall covers have nothing to do with the current conflict (afaik) so you don't need to excuse liking them. Now, if you were saying something like 'i don't like Russia right now, but Putin would look majestic as a badger' or something, the disclaimer would be logical lol

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 12, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

:kimchi:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

For a fox, this dude has some BIG time Don Karnage energy

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Hand Knit posted:

when i was in high school there was this kid who was i guess you'd say troubled and he was obsessed with the redwall books. he'd insist he was a squirrel, take off his shoes and jump across the desks, or run outside and start trying to climb the trees.

That dude grew up to be a phenomenal human being if he didn’t end up dead or in prison.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Outcast of Redwall was the first one I got and I remember picking it up because there was a picture of a badger warrior with a falcon on his arm on the cover and that seemed badass

Then the whole veil/vile situation upset me on such a level that it stuck with me for my entire life. They treated that kid like poo poo his entire life then all patted themselves on the back and called themselves heroes when he eventually lashed out at them

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

CountryMatters posted:

Outcast of Redwall was the first one I got and I remember picking it up because there was a picture of a badger warrior with a falcon on his arm on the cover and that seemed badass

Then the whole veil/vile situation upset me on such a level that it stuck with me for my entire life. They treated that kid like poo poo his entire life then all patted themselves on the back and called themselves heroes when he eventually lashed out at them

in the end he sacrifices his life for his like gf and shes like, no you all were right, idk why he sacrificed himself for me but he wasnt a good guy which was like :psyduck:

that book was my fave cuz of the badger tho. sunflash the mace iirc

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

free hubcaps posted:

Not too happy with Russia in general atm but they had some extremely good redwall covers

goddamn werent kidding, these are all great

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

baka fwocka fwame posted:

in the end he sacrifices his life for his like gf and shes like, no you all were right, idk why he sacrificed himself for me but he wasnt a good guy which was like :psyduck:

that book was my fave cuz of the badger tho. sunflash the mace iirc

Outcast of Redwall posted:

The calm kind eyes of Redwall's Abbess met those of the mousemaid. "So, Bella and I were wrong, there was some good in Veil, even though it cost him his life to show it. Can you accept my apologies, Byrony?"

The mousemaid kissed her Mother Abbess's paw respectfully.

"There is no need for your apology. Veil was bad, I know that now. Bella was right. Some creatures cannot help being the way they are. In all the time we knew him, Veil did not perform one act of kindness to any living creature. I have thought a great deal since he died and wondered if he would have saved me if he knew his father was really going to throw that javelin? I couldn't help loving him, because that's the way I am, but I know that the world is a better place without Veil or Swartt bringing death and misery to it."

Meriam cast a knowing glance at Barlom before she replies. "You have grown, Bryony. Your courage and compassion were never in doubt, but you have returned to us wiser and more sensible, far more mature than I ever was at your age. What do you think, Barlom?"

In all the time we knew him he never did a single act of kindness, apart from the part where he loved me as his mother and sacrificed his life to save me but like, that was probably a mistake or something who loving knows

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"i'm really nice and kind, but my surrogate son was a real shithead who i hated", fawned the mouse

the abbess paused. "wicked sick, my child. you are wiser now that you have learned to - correctly - hate the stoat you raised"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked, the most:

Salamandastron
Redwall
Mossflower

I also liked Marlfox, but mostly I just really liked this series when I was younger. I'll probably re-read them sometime as an adult and I sure hope I don't get caught up on the whole "all X are Y" part.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

jokes posted:

I liked, the most:

Salamandastron
Redwall
Mossflower

I also liked Marlfox, but mostly I just really liked this series when I was younger. I'll probably re-read them sometime as an adult and I sure hope I don't get caught up on the whole "all X are Y" part.

My little brother was absolutely nuts for this series. I was just about too old by the time he discovered the books, but I read several and enjoyed them, and I think I remember liking those ones you listed. I guess I'm curious if they'd stand up to a re-read or if they're way more kid-lit than I remember.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Man, I loved these books growing up, even if they got really same-y after a bit. Still, I tried to start "The Long Patrol" over Quarantine as I find a good copy at a local book store. I did not make it far when the characters captured two Rats (I think) and were openly discussing just killing their captives.

Some Rabbit, "We really should just slit their throats."

And doing it within ear shot of their captives so Jacques could describe their depressed cries at hearing this argument taking place.

I knew they could get a bit violent, but I did not remember how bloody-minded they could get.

It sucks to hear about the Outcast storyline though. What a strange theme to present in a essentially a young-adult series.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

Crazy Ferret posted:

Man, I loved these books growing up, even if they got really same-y after a bit. Still, I tried to start "The Long Patrol" over Quarantine as I find a good copy at a local book store. I did not make it far when the characters captured two Rats (I think) and were openly discussing just killing their captives.

And doing it within ear shot of their captives so Jacques could describe their depressed cries at hearing this argument taking place.

I knew they could get a bit violent, but I did not remember how bloody-minded they could get.

It sucks to hear about the Outcast storyline though. What a strange theme to present in a essentially a young-adult series.

lol the long patrol. wasnt that all a joke for the benefit of the prisoners. they were all psychopaths tho

that book had a gnarly front excerpt and i remember the mc was called tammo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If I recall correctly they were going to let the prisoners go and were just loving with them.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

jokes posted:

If I recall correctly they were going to let the prisoners go and were just loving with them.

lol the long patrol. wasnt that all a joke for the benefit of the prisoners. they were all psychopaths tho

that book had a gnarly front excerpt and i remember the mc was called tammo

Ha, I'm willing to give it another chance then in due time. This thread has got me thinking about re-reading the original once I finish my current stack of books. And yeah, the cover for The Long Patrol is dope. Most of the book covers were fantastic, especially those Russian(?) ones posted earlier.

Like hell ya, I want to be wandering rabbit mercenary in some bizarro fantasy. That sounds neat.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the long patrol was loving cool. SAS bunnies kicking rear end all over the forest

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

technically theyre hares :actually:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

technically theyre hares :actually:

I said what I said

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Famethrowa posted:

the long patrol was loving cool. SAS bunnies kicking rear end all over the forest

This reminds me to recommend "Watership Down" to people have not read it. Incredible book with a lot of neat ideas and subtext going on. I bring it up since the writer based the character, Bigwig, and a few of the other warrior rabbits on British Commandos he knew in WW2.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Crazy Ferret posted:

Username checks out!

All these books are about tribal warfare and pretty grim. But whenever the military shows up it gets positively kill ‘em all, I say, what what. That said, Jacques good guys never actually kill prisoners or those who can’t fight back and I’m sure this scene is just psychological torture charming ruse to get the prisoners to do something or other.

Imo Salamandastron takes the racism cake from Outcast. At least the Outcast has some pathos and dies doing something unequivocally selfless (even if Bryony’s ungrateful rear end just wants to bury him and move on). Salamandastron starts up with this super uncomfortable scene where the badger kid brings home a couple of vermin buddies and her dad stands up and just publicly reviles them and their entire race over dinner. And he turns out to be unironically right too, these guys truly have no redeeming qualities

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Crazy Ferret posted:

This reminds me to recommend "Watership Down" to people have not read it. Incredible book with a lot of neat ideas and subtext going on. I bring it up since the writer based the character, Bigwig, and a few of the other warrior rabbits on British Commandos he knew in WW2.

Seconding this. It's a different kettle of fish to Redwall but it's terrific.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

skasion posted:

Imo Salamandastron takes the racism cake from Outcast. At least the Outcast has some pathos and dies doing something unequivocally selfless (even if Bryony’s ungrateful rear end just wants to bury him and move on). Salamandastron starts up with this super uncomfortable scene where the badger kid brings home a couple of vermin buddies and her dad stands up and just publicly reviles them and their entire race over dinner. And he turns out to be unironically right too, these guys truly have no redeeming qualities
Guess Who's Not Leaving Dinner Alive Because He's A Stoat by Brian Jacques.

aniviron posted:

Seconding this. It's a different kettle of fish to Redwall but it's terrific.
It also has basically the polar opposite message of Redwall in that 'someone who isn't trying to eat you is a potential friend even if they're different from you' is presented as not just kind but very wise.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

Crazy Ferret posted:

watership down kicks rear end. that book is one huge trip

efb

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The badgers are always completely, truly correct because they can go out on their own and solo an entire vermin horde. The long patrol is just there for, idk, policing.

That is noblesse oblige writ large.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Drakyn posted:

lol

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Oh boy a battle, i wonder if there will be a... Pincer movement?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Drakyn posted:

It also has basically the polar opposite message of Redwall in that 'someone who isn't trying to eat you is a potential friend even if they're different from you' is presented as not just kind but very wise.

Not only that, but the main, evil antagonists in the book are fellow rabbits as opposed to any of the predators (or even humans) who appear.

Richard Adam's is a significantly better writer than Jacques too, as much as I loved these books growing up

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I wish the evil species weren't predestined to be evil :(

Even like ten year old me was rubbed the wrong way by this. There was a fox? I think that I was rooting for but they eventually, for no logical reason reverted to their fox nature and went evil. Like even the fox parents didn't give a poo poo about their children which makes no sense from a basic evolutionary standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*Ron Desantishly* “No, no, let’s keep the series of books for children written by a notorious pervert about how some races are born inherently evil and inferior. I’m only trying to remove the books thst could be bad for kids”