Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the next welterweight title shot?
This poll is closed.
Colby Covington 2 3.51%
Belal Muhammad 17 29.82%
Shavkat Rakhmonov 3 5.26%
Matt Serra 26 45.61%
Marius Zaromskis 4 7.02%
Ben Quadrinaros 5 8.77%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

What comes next, however, is tricky. Carla was blown out, so a rematch is out of the question. Rose Namajunas, the only person in the UFC to beat Weili, is a likely candidate--but after her disastrous performance against Carla, it remains to be seen how much faith the UFC has in her. Jéssica Andrade has a claim, but she's splitting time between 115 and 125, and probably needs to pick a weight class if she wants a shot. Amanda Lemos is on deck, but she could really use a marquee win first. The UFC is spoiled for almost-but-not-quite contenders: They just need to crown someone.
I'm ok with giving just anyone to Zhang. Could be a good fight, could be a stomping, could be an upset. Hard for me to gauge her fanbase, but it seems like the UFC isn't helping her out much. Given how they always play the Rose backstory during the filler parts of broadcasts, I assume they still would like to crown Rose back. So one more entertaining win could help the division wash itself of Carla x Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

the funniest outcome to this is vince mcmahon getting a say in how ufc operates

Have he and Dana ever had any known beef?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Noice
https://twitter.com/muhammadmokaev/status/1642950271142600718

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Great flying knee, but the ref gave Bigdeli (which afaict is just a normal Iranian name and not a Thai gym sponsor) way too much rope on the 10-count. Was way too out of it to be sent back in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/rakeshkarki_/status/1644966821135777792

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What percentage of Izzy's training camp was devoted to miming pulling the bow off his shoulder and drawing arrows out of a quiver?
Easily 5% imo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nice narration through Izzy’s finish:
https://youtu.be/UbY_zjiJ4R8
I’d missed that Izzy’s eyes are tracking where Pereira’s head is even as he gets partly caught by the left hook. Truly a game of millimeters.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is a goof, but some guy played the UFC game and kept playing Figuereido against Ngannou until he KOed Ngannou. Supercut of all the times he got slept and then finally getting it:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CncroduBNae/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Bellator is even worse than it was when you left

What’s impressive is that it’s been hanging in there this whole time, staying afloat off of truly B-league talent.

CarlCX posted:

Also on the topic of this week's card being a little meh, we can now downgrade it from "meh" to "dire" because it just lost its co-main event:

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1648152888647069696

I want someone to plot frequency of injury in scheduled fights, as well as proximity to fight date.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 18, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Unrelentingly Powerful Leglock Redact

Oh is that what r-word stood for?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Looks to me like the guys head is above Nate's shoulder not under his arm

If you scrub right after Nate throws the knee, you can see daylight between his shoulder and the guy’s neck.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Some part of this is also the context of the illegal blow

at best done as misguided weapons and at worst done without regard for the rules period.
In Green's case he was trying to do something legal but he did it by turning himself into a skull torpedo

Yeah, imo, when you come in behind your straight punch / elbow with a lowered head, you're at the very least being ok with head contact, and at the most hunting for a piece of that action.
I never regarded myself as a dirty fighter, but the one lapse would be when I was dead in the water in later rounds in sparring, I would sometimes resort to throwing a poorly targeted and not too tight straight punch with the head right behind it. Even if it doesn't land, the head filling up the opponent's vision is a significant distraction to their overall defense. The way Green maximized the reach of his dome behind that forearm is exactly how I would set it up so it would be there for a 2nd shot. The 1st shot is all the pretext and cover you need to defend the 2nd.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think power slap feeds into pervasive toxic masculinity, in that it very visibly is something any schmoe can have success with. Unlike mma where you can always get finished in your first z league fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It always cool to kick villains while they're down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo&t=10s

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They’re not even in the Dana white affiliated league where they could at least get handed a bigger check to go home.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Apparently it's at 175? Big cut for Rockhold.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

We just had a watch session in the thread for an uncontracted fighter choking a guy out and dropping him on a kerb without a great rending of garments. Just people agreeing it was stupid thuggery and moving on.
Yeah, people rightfully concluded it was a crime and undeserved.

quote:

If that's ok then I can't see why an actual organised and promoted event is off the table

Because something organized warrants passing a higher moral bar than a one-sided street fight. Ostensibly when the stakes are clearly, unavoidably higher.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Skulker posted:

one of the rules was no closed-fist hitting.

To the head. You could closed fist punch to the body and boy did Bas ever.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I always found Cung Le fun AF to watch. I also never would have guessed his last fight was 9 loving years ago. JFC how old am I?

I’m more surprised he fought as recently as 9y ago.

Man, if he’d beaten Wanderlei…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

As shot as Wandy was by that point from being denied his dump trucks of speed and steroids, there’s no way in hell.

His chin was the most vulnerable thing in that fight, and Cung definitely tested it midway in the first. But he pissed away the striking advantage putting way too much effort into those spin kicks even as Wanderlei winged horribly off-aim hooks.

Hollandia posted:

Didn't Cung Le narrowly dodge being booted from the UFC for roids? I feel like there was an accusation, a procedural issue in providing evidence, and he went 'I'm exonerated and also for unrelated reasons I'm now retiring'.

He got busted positively per the UFC's then-homegrown drug testing procedure.
https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/7/7936195/cung-le-admits-it-wasnt-the-kind-of-ending-he-wanted
It reads like a both sides are wrong situation. Cung was probably on HGH despite the testing issues.
The UFC didn't have a great protocol before or after the positive result, and they didn't release Cung from the contract when he asked. So he had to decide between retiring and sitting a year, fighting in the UFC again where he didn't want to be, and then trying to switch orgs.