Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the next welterweight title shot?
This poll is closed.
Colby Covington 2 3.51%
Belal Muhammad 17 29.82%
Shavkat Rakhmonov 3 5.26%
Matt Serra 26 45.61%
Marius Zaromskis 4 7.02%
Ben Quadrinaros 5 8.77%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Wait what? Doesn't Endeavor own a ton of random poo poo, why would them buying WWE specifically somehow directly merge it with UFC? Like even UFC is technically a double subsidiary because there's Zuffa in between (not that this detail is meaningful in any practical sense). That part sounds like a misunderstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

:lol: when was the last time you saw the Zuffa logo during a PPV?

Or not even PPV, when was the last time you saw that Zuffa logo?

I did say it wasn't meaningful, just dumb corporate structure stuff.

I guess if this is purely for the purpose of letting people buy stock in a thing that is part UFC part WWE for money reasons, then whatever, but the tweet makes it sound like they will combine it in to one corporation that will be operationally run by McMahon, that's the part that makes no sense to me. We'll see how it turns out.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

drat, you know more about their business than a multi-billion dollar corporation. What are you doing here as a mod, you should be working for Endeavor!

This pays better.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
:stare: Oh gently caress that doesn't look good at all, he's not getting any younger either, drat.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
You're in the wrong thread buddy.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, are we really sure that's the case anymore?

Yes.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
On the other hand despite the miles, 35 years old is pretty young by heavyweight standards and Jones could remain the champ for like the next 6 years or something, powered by cocaine.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I feel like most judges are just doing their own thing, a couple even straight up admit it and still regularly get brought back to judge, most of the people I've heard actually discuss judging criteria are, well, everyone but the judges themselves. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places though :shrug:.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Yeck... but then again, what challengers are there at 135 or 145?

I think the answer still ends up being Raquel Pennington, or maybe Blanchfield on short notice, heh. Otherwise I have no idea (could easily be missing someone)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

Blanchfield is a flyweight.

Yeah that's why I added the "on short notice" bit, but also that's how bad the 135 landscape looks, :shrug:.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yeah I dunno wtf that ref was doing, he might as well have just kept counting past 10.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Eh I dunno if that division is so clear, that's a Mauy Thai fight in the above clip where the ref has to convince the fighter to step to him (which he doesn't) and put his hands up (which he mostly doesn't) before letting him be immediately finished, and on the MMA side, I specifically have a really good impression of Mohamad Sulaiman, though I don't have any examples offhand as to why.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Trillhouse posted:

i hate masvidal so i chose to believe he was cheating

Yeah, even if Burns realized after the fact "wait, poo poo, I still live in Miami after this", I believe the first thing he said about the matter.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Bluedeanie posted:

There are people walking on this earth right this very moment who believe Brock Lesnar is the current UFC champion

This, but also there are many people who would watch Nate Niaz fight literally anyone, so that could help Paul's chances in getting people to watch. Wonder if he tries pointing at Jake mid fight only tor realize he can't because of the gloves.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Boxing right? No Way Jake is fighting Nate under MMA rules?

Yeah, 100%.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Bluedeanie posted:

UFC is so oversaturated and so committed to undermarketing its events and fighters that I literally had no clue Holloway and Edson Barboza would be fighting two hours away from me this weekend and now I am kinda pissed about that

It's not sold out or anything, you should go!

I wanted to drive up to Newark for UFC 288 but tickets are like over 300 dollars for the further seats possible, it's way too much.

Brut fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 12, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Bluedeanie posted:

I have a date that day, which I would have made for a different day otherwise :negative:

Okay buy two tickets then, I don't see the problem.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://twitter.com/TonyFergusonXT/status/1646715949519626241

What does high score mean?? :lmao:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
For those of you browsing via bookmarks, just wanted to let you know the BYOB spaceship has landed on Fight Island! Have fun!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Unperson_47 posted:

I don't remember seeing this posted in the thread yet

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/1569417145678708739

hahahaha incredible

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Gramps posted:

Hey guys I used to post in the mma threads in like 2007. Had a Barnett Av, then Nog, then Roy Nelson's fat tummy (I need that one back actually. This one was a gift from the 'yob)

Hi, welcome back!

Here they are:

(Last one is uploaded twice to different places, don't know why, too lazy to figure out if there's a difference between them so I just included both)

sleep with the vicious posted:

Not being a dick but isn't that all on fight pass

I'm not sure that they are, fight pass is a bit weird about exactly which events are there for stuff that old, it's possible there's some stuff that is missing from fight pass that is on those DVDs, I'm gonna actually check real quick, now that I've noticed that it actually specifies which events are in the 5-event sets.

Ok I've gone through and checked, and yes, all the numbered PRIDE events on those DVDs as well as the grand prix stuff is on fight pass, it's a little hard to tell with the Bushido stuff (because the volume numbers in the screenshot don't reference which events they contain) but it looks like that's on fight pass as well, I'm not sure what exactly I had remembered as being missing from fight pass in the first place, I thought it was Pride but maybe it was actually early-mid UFC stuff that originally aired on FX/Fox or something? :shrug:

Brut fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 17, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Gramps posted:

I figured someone would like a physical copy if UFC starts to gently caress people on prices or you need to cancel a sub or something. gently caress me for trying to be thoughtful I guess. I'll gently caress off again now.

Nah don't worry about that, you figured absolutely correct and I'd probably give it a few more days to see if someone interested shows up, you can always then post an SA-Mart thread just to confirm the transaction, I've seen a ton of threads there that are just "posting this as a record of already agreed upon deal from blablabla".

In short,

CommonShore posted:

no don't do that keep hanging out

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Boco_T posted:

if you are getting back into combat sports in 2023 you should watch one friday fights and nothing else

To clarify on this, they broadcast these for free on youtube and the VODs stay up, youtube now puts these in a separate tab from just "videos" (loving finally), so check them out here to know what we're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/@ONEChampionship/streams

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
What the gently caress are ya'll doing. I don't like any of those people either but please do not discuss actually loving killing anyone ITT or for that matter anywhere on this forum. gently caress.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
lmao there's gotta be a version of that ONE poster with the names in English, right? I'll go look for it. e: Ok I didn't find that exactly but I found this instead which seems good enough:
(Note that the time in the image is almost certainly Thailand local time, whatever that timezone is called.)

Brut fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 19, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
lol at first glance I thought that was some kind of AI generated image, is that just a screenshot from Haze? I never played it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Marching Powder posted:

don't watch any fight he's had since you dropped off. it's really depressing. ESPECIALLY that title fight.

It's weird how the Volk fight and the Yair fight (well, the end of it) are so memorable that we (myself included!!) completely forget that he beat the crap out of Moicano and Edgar in between those

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Anyone wanna bet on tonight's card? I got Bobby Green (-270), Matthew Semelsberger (-105 coinflip) and Christos Giagos (+130) to win, pick one or best 2 out of 3, loser gets this as their avatar until next PPV:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

ilmucche posted:

Lmao what a headshot

Yeah I saw this in the video Lid linked up the page and just immediately had to grab it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yeah the slap stuff sucks, it's one thing if it gets brought up here because the UFC is directly advertising it and poo poo like that, but I don't think just some random slap thing needs to get posted here without comment as if you're saying "hey look at this cool poo poo".

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Keep in mind that Tim Sylvia hasn't fought in the UFC in 15 years, and hasn't fought in any actual MMA organization in 10 years, I don't know exactly what the number should be but I think there's probably some expiration of relevancy here.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

blue footed boobie posted:

Wasn’t rockhold’s whole thing that he completely lost his chin at the end of his career? Seems like he would be especially poorly suited to boxing.

Eh...maybe? I mean he got knocked out by (2013)Vitor, Bisping, Romero and Blachowicz, those guys could really knock out anyone. He survived 3 rounds with Costa more recently and while he seemed exhausted, chin seemed fine. Mike Perry is a tiny man compared to the list of folks who knocked Rockhold out so I don't really think he's gonna have much trouble on that front, cardio might still be poo poo though, but maybe not since, you know, no USADA.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Bluedeanie posted:

please dont troll
Hahaha I was just thinking basically every "striker" at 185+ has knockout power but like, yeah, you're right, my bad.
As far as I'm concerned 3 and 4 are the same option and if there are people who want to make a slapfighting thread I'm not gonna stop them but that's their own reputation on the line :shrug:, I don't think it belongs ITT other than the very specific stuff like "look at how much the UFC's official channels are promoting this dumb poo poo".

I also want to say though that "I hate slapfighting therefore I'm gonna post even more slapfighting in protest" is approaching being as weird as earnestly liking it, especially if you're doing that poo poo in completely unrelated threads where people don't even understand what the gently caress you're doing, so please don't do that.(be nice to our guests :colbert:)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

ilmucche posted:

Wait is there an actual poll? I'm on mobile

Attaching image of the current poll of this thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I'm pretty sure that since Fight Circus has their events in Pattaya they get to hire pretty experienced refs that know what they're doing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
That's seriously from an actual fight and not just a wrestling gif? wtf

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yeah there's no technical separation between avatars and gangtags in the title field, it's all just stacked img tags.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CommonShore posted:

MMA May(be) Watch Muay Thai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't watched the UFC card yet, but the bare knuckle card was really good.

watching advice: save yourself half an hour, skip the heavyweight fights