Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Shub gamerword

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Colonel Cancer posted:

Shub gamerword

Lmao

Azathot

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Nooner posted:

No one gives a gently caress about the dagon after St. Geoge slayed it

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

I blame toxoplasmosis for at least 5% of his writing

Lovecraft's "Cats and Dogs" is some of his most disturbing writing.

Now there's some non-euclidean poo poo man was not meant to understand.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Smugworth posted:

Wait was Lovecraft racist

This is the new “John Lennon beat his wife :smug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I too really venerate a sad racist alcoholic that wrote a lot of purple prose 100 years ago and would probably be posting on 4chan were he alive today.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Look I'm not defending the guy all I'm saying is maybe the cat yknow... named himself

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It must mean something else in cat

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

Everyone owes it to themselves to watch Annihilation and report back. :colbert:

Done. Can't believe they killed off johnny cage so early

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql3WA2712H8

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm reading through the complete lovecraft collection rn, read most of it before but not all in one go. to be charitable, some of the stories are negatively affected by needing to be published in magazine-friendly chunks; to be less charitable, sometimes he's not a good writer and you wish someone else could have a go at the basics of the story because his ideas and visions are what are compelling. and they can be really good and worth the occasional slog and 'ok howard, sure...'

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Y’all need to watch the 1986 film From Beyond if you haven’t. Great goopy practical special effects from the same people who did Re-Animator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOWnHiMn0wU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was always of the opinion old Howard was a terrific worldcrafter but only so-so at writing a good story.
His insistence on things being indescribable and obvious even for the time racism don't help.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
step 1 in creating an extremely tense story: tell the entire thing in a letter from the protagonist after he has escaped the harrowing danger

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

i'm reading through the complete lovecraft collection rn, read most of it before but not all in one go. to be charitable, some of the stories are negatively affected by needing to be published in magazine-friendly chunks; to be less charitable, sometimes he's not a good writer and you wish someone else could have a go at the basics of the story because his ideas and visions are what are compelling. and they can be really good and worth the occasional slog and 'ok howard, sure...'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Mozi posted:

step 1 in creating an extremely tense story: tell the entire thing in a letter from the protagonist after he has escaped the harrowing danger

Yeah, Dracula isn't that great a novel either.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

he hates sailors too

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcaWMa23C4M

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Pretty cool book I read about a year ago, very lovecraftian and does that thing I love where it explores the history of a place as it gains some spooky happenings. Would recommend for those who've already read all the good Lovecraft stories

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

there are also more than a few of "AND HE WAS DEAD ALL ALOOOOOONNNNNG!!! *GASP*!"
or empty caskets, graves, etc.
Like kinda cheesy campfire stories.

that, was just like... really? Compared to Mountains of Madness, and some of his others. i can't remember the titles of any others off-hand, but you know what i'm sayin

naem
May 29, 2011

my favorite thing about lovecraft are that with his stories, some guy investigates spooky happenings in a small town of insular folk and discovers a weird mystery and follows the clues and goes “this all means something but what” and the big reveal, the payoff of the story is:

they’re all fish people a giant squid appears madness reigns everyone dies the end

it’s not scooby doo happy ending, it’s not final girl survives danger with moral implications, it’s not an action adventure group of friends survival story, there are no good or bad guys,

it’s “inbred british people discover fishmonsters and go insane everyone’s dies for no reason giant squid explosion the end”

it’s “inbred british people inherit an old house hey what’s this triangle symbol all over why is this house so oppressive feeling are people stalking us from the woods we should never have come here and can never escape hey what’s that triangle glowing light oh my god what are those tentacles everything is a tentacle tentacles tentacle death explosion”

the fact it’s not even written that well adds to the unintentional charm

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Sex Farm posted:

Done. Can't believe they killed off johnny cage so early

:lol:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The comic Fall of Cthulhu was entertaining.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

shoggoths are the coolest

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know if this is what you are looking for OP but I have a whole lot of ai generated lovecraftian type stuff but it's too much to even separate out the good ones. None of it is explicitly "lovecraftian" but it's very cosmic horror and lovecraft-inspired. If you feel like trawling through it I will organize them and post them as a bunch of imgur galleries, like this.
Astromarines

This is ancient by AI image standards (about ~7-9 months old from an old version of SD, and Midjourney v3) but it's a series of 300+ images centered around the concept of militarized astronauts finding horrible eldritch things on the dark side of the moon. Sort of like Warhammer 40k but 35,000 years earlier , meets Lovecraft.

The newer stuff is a lot cooler but I have to gather it all up first

e:
These are all recent:
A suburban neighborhood during an eldritch apocalypse (32 pictures, recent)
Some big demons and stuff (12 pictures, ~January 2023)
Ancient incomprehensible alien gods found buried on mars (12 pictures, January 2023)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 5, 2023

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Colonel Cancer posted:

I too really venerate a sad racist alcoholic that wrote a lot of purple prose 100 years ago and would probably be posting on 4chan were he alive today.

That's a really unfair characterization.

Lovecraft was very much a teetotaler, even writing screeds on the corrupting effects of alcohol on young men that rival Victorian anti-masturbation pamphlets.

Anyway, there's always plenty of bad Lovecraft shlock out there:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2689354/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2

A little something for the kids:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4768656/?ref_=fn_al_tt_5

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

blight rhino posted:

there are also more than a few of "AND HE WAS DEAD ALL ALOOOOOONNNNNG!!! *GASP*!"

yeah but Cool Air is a sweet story

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

For a long time, I knew there was something missing in my life, and now I know what that was.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

cult_hero posted:

Lovecraft was very much a teetotaler, even writing screeds on the corrupting effects of alcohol on young men that rival Victorian anti-masturbation pamphlets.

Huh could have sworn that he died of like liver cirrhosis in his 30s. Must have been thinking of a different writer, woops!

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Serious post, but if your daughter is into Lovecraft she might also like Robert W. Chambers's The King in Yellow, which is an even earlier cosmic horror short story collection. Actually, Chambers's stories are kind of a continuation of some stories by Ambrose Bierce. I'd also recommend some of Lord Dunsany's stuff, of which Lovecraft himself was a huge fan. Dunsany is mostly more fantasy than horror, but The Gods of Pegana, as well as a lot of his short stories, are pretty obvious influences on Lovecraft, if a lot less horrifying.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s been a while but I remember being entertained enough

naem
May 29, 2011

*the scooby gang capture and tie up what they think is a person in a ghost costume*

Fred, in a happy voice:

“Ok gang! Let’s see who this REALLY is under the mask!”

Fred pulls the cloth off to reveal an eldritch horror and everyone’s eyes bleed, Daphne throws herself into the ocean, scooby and velma merge into a tentacled horror, the sky turns red, explosions, everyone dies,

all of it is badly written also the author seems naively unaware of how incredibly racist he is

:several generations of teenaged readers:

“Wait, what???”

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It was old man Hazred all along!
-and I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you pragmatic, reason minded and racially tolerant people!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

blight rhino posted:

or empty caskets, graves, etc.
Like kinda cheesy campfire stories.

that, was just like... really? Compared to Mountains of Madness, and some of his others. i can't remember the titles of any others off-hand, but you know what i'm sayin

hm i haven't run into many of those yet, mostly it's just things where it's very obvious what's happening the entire time. like Charles Dexter Ward, pretty long and you can call exactly what's happening well in advance. but, it's still a cool/disturbing enough story with enough effective moments i liked it overall. but still, you just know there's a much better story hidden in there

on the other hand, most people who try to write like lovecraft are just missing some critical element so it's harder than it looks i guess

of course this story also features an unfortunately named cat, so

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

cult_hero posted:

I dunno, this is pretty fuckin amazing: :nws:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I dunno, this is pretty fuckin amazing: :nws:

Oh hello :liara:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Just finished re-reading Providence, that is really great stuff and a great take on the whole Lovecraftian et al mythos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Alan Moore really hit some deeply disturbing things there and I mean that in the best way.