Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I devoured “On her majesty’s occult service”, and would
Whole heartedly recommend it. Anyone else that’s read it able to suggest something that scratches the same itch?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Tnuctip posted:

Whole heartedly recommend it. Anyone else that’s read it able to suggest something that scratches the same itch?

No but now I'm interested.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Let it be noted that three movies for this series were made and includes actors like Ron Perlman, Jeffrey Combs, Mark Hamill, one of the kids from Stranger Things (while the show was on air), and Christopher Plummer. But also the director and his family. I have no idea how it exists.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tnuctip posted:

Looks like it's a series

https://www.goodreads.com/series/50764-laundry-files

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Laundry rules but fair warning, after a few books it devolves from cosmic horror alphabet agency shenanigans to cosmic horror riffs on various things from nerd pop culture (the one where the elves invade, the one with vampire stockbrokers, the one with :sigh: superheroes)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

DickParasite posted:

A Colder War by Charles Stross is great.

Missile Gap is also great though less explicitly Lovecraftian.

These are excellent Lovecraftian things :haibrow:

I got this book as a kid and its :discourse: for Lovecraft-adjacent stuff.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tnuctip posted:

A study in emerald maybe

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Strategic Tea posted:

Laundry rules but fair warning, after a few books it devolves from cosmic horror alphabet agency shenanigans to cosmic horror riffs on various things from nerd pop culture (the one where the elves invade, the one with vampire stockbrokers, the one with :sigh: superheroes)

Yeah I enjoyed Stross' novellas a lot but the Laundry Files was a little too British for me. Like if Hitchhiker's Guide met Lovecraft. Lots of people love them though!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

the latest escape from yokai land one is just insulting. eight quid for eighty six pages of A Cartoon Chased Me Until I Decided It Shouldn't Anymore

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

oldpainless posted:

It’s been a while but I remember being entertained enough

Yeah, those were pretty good.

In a similar vein I'd also recommend James Lovegrove's Cthulhu Casebooks series. Lovegrove is IMO the best current day Sherlock Holmes author and one of the very few who manages to really nail Doyle's tone and style. The Cthulhu Casebooks is a trilogy which explores the REAL case history of Sherlock Holmes, ie. him and Doctor Watson facing eldritch horrors. They're a bit pulpy, but also extremely lovecraftian in their tone and structure.

As a special recommendation all the audiobook versions are also really well done. They're all available on Audible, and the narrator (Denis Kleinman) does a really good Jeremy Brett impersonation for his Holmes. I would also recommend all of the Lovegrove non-lovecraftian Holmes books.

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah after the first three or so the Laundry Files take a real quick nosedive. Apparently the last couple of books by him kind of scrap the old cast of characters and start over with a new band of misfits, but I haven't read them yet. I must applaud the decision in general though because god drat the Laundry Files drifted away from their premise.

General Laundry Files spoilers:
OK so we start with a great premise: what if lovecraftian horrors from beyond the stars, evil nazi scientists and all that good stuff ran head first into British bureaucracy? The odds are massively stacked against our heroes, but if they do all they can, use all the half-understood and incredibly dangerous tools at their disposal AND get lucky, MAYBE they can fight to a stalemate and live to see another day.

Fast forward a couple of books and our main character is literally the world's most powerful wizard who could kill all of London with his thoughts but he is so strong and rational and logical that he is able to control the urge, and also his girlfriend/wife is a magical sex contortionist who has a magic violin that can kill anyone or anything and together they blast everything they meet into bits. The only thing they can't solve is their marriage because they are both just too magical and uniquely cursed by their superhero level power to be together and so their poo poo is ~hell of tormented~ just like $ANIME_YOU_LIKE and $VIDEO_GAME_REFERENCE. Their best friends are supernaturally gifted geeks who can whip up supernatural Nazi Kettenkrads in their garage and have a bigger arsenal than James Bond ~but they are ever so quirky~ and literally everyone sounds like the main character with some different perks on their character sheet, which is probably because the main character is an author self-insert doing Joss Whedon quips and that's the only character he can write.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 7, 2023

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

When I was a kid my older cousin was into D&D and taught me the basics of the game. He had all the cool rear end 1st edition books including Fiend Folio and Deities and Demigods. I was fascinated by them. There were a few pages of illustrations in Deities and Demigods that were just insane and stuck in my mind. Monsters that were like a cave with an amorphous blob with multiple mouths and eyes and poo poo. I had no idea who H.P. Lovecraft was.

A few years later I got my own copies of some of the books and I was looking forward to seeing those particular monsters again. They weren’t there. Did I imagine it? There was no internet or any way to know what happened to the weird nameless horrors.

I found out years later TSR had gotten a C&D or something from the Lovecraft estate to remove the Cthulhu Mythos chapter from Deities and Demigods and all the drawings by the great Erol Otus. So this is my favorite fun Lovecraftian thing that was lost to the ages.

https://2warpstoneptune.com/2014/10/22/the-cthulhu-mythos-in-tsrs-deities-demigods-1980/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ralph Hurley posted:

I found out years later TSR had gotten a C&D or something from the Lovecraft estate to remove the Cthulhu Mythos chapter from Deities and Demigods and all the drawings by the great Erol Otus. So this is my favorite fun Lovecraftian thing that was lost to the ages.

That is apparently a myth.

https://dmdavid.com/tag/the-true-story-of-the-cthulhu-and-elric-sections-removed-from-deities-demigods/

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Thanks, that is interesting. I had just made my own assumption that TSR was threatened with lawsuit by whoever owned the rights to Lovecraft’s work. I never really looked into it, just guessed that’s probably what had happened.

naem
May 29, 2011

was thinking about lovcraft again and,

the fact he’s actually not that great a writer lends an air of believability to his stories

it feels like someone experienced a genuine horror and didn’t quite have the words to describe it and was damaged by the experience

it’s like there is the surface story itself told by some little poo poo of a guy and then there is the hinted at bigger something out there that is TERRIFYING behind that story

it leaves you to fill in the blanks on a genuinely vast horrific highly original monster universe that doesn’t give a poo poo about you or humanity and isn’t trying to please anyone

many of his characters are also kind of unlikeable too like, which is very unique- he’s not trying to ingratiate you to the protagonist as much as it’s like, yeah this pinchy faced mean little guy got wrapped up in a spooky mystery and then EVERYONE DIED, HORRIBLY and you’re left like ok what, what did I just read what was the point of all this

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

naem posted:

was thinking about lovcraft again and,

the fact he’s actually not that great a writer lends an air of believability to his stories

it feels like someone experienced a genuine horror and didn’t quite have the words to describe it and was damaged by the experience

it’s like there is the surface story itself told by some little poo poo of a guy and then there is the hinted at bigger something out there that is TERRIFYING behind that story

it leaves you to fill in the blanks on a genuinely vast horrific highly original monster universe that doesn’t give a poo poo about you or humanity and isn’t trying to please anyone

many of his characters are also kind of unlikeable too like, which is very unique- he’s not trying to ingratiate you to the protagonist as much as it’s like, yeah this pinchy faced mean little guy got wrapped up in a spooky mystery and then EVERYONE DIED, HORRIBLY and you’re left like ok what, what did I just read what was the point of all this

That’s exactly why The Rats in the Walls is my favorite.

Lovecraft may have missed the subtext he was creating, but his haughty little southern plantation wanna-be royalist is very obviously the monster he becomes, from the beginning. His bloodline really is poisoned, and he doesn’t quite see it. The cat’s extremely unfortunate name is, in that sense, kind of appropriate. The text doesn’t really explore this contradiction - which implies the main character is totally oblivious to it.

I go back and forth on how international that was, by Lovecraft. I think it was probably a really personal story for him - he clearly thought the “VetuVN to your gilded roots ancestral castle” plot was cool as hell and wanted it for himself, but the story is ultimately about how that poo poo is usually an unspeakably monstrous heritage. That the protagonist’s family fled England to run (very likely) a US slave plantation is… very thematic.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Here's some of my good old HP junk:

I don't know where all my Providence trade paperbacks are right now but I got a bunch of the variant covers. I liked it a lot but uh... C'mon, Alan, can't you think of anything for female characters to do besides get raped? It's every book, dude, stop it.

And Ligotti is a guy you just kinda want to say to, "Hey man, touch grass."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
idk i think he needs to stay away from psychoactives

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
The Johannes Cabal series, by Jonathon L Howard, has a lot of Lovecraft fanfiction in it. Especially “The Fear Institute”. And, his Lovecraft meets cop procedural, “Carter & Lovecraft”. I didn’t really dig that one. I did love all of the Cabal books, though.

I think “the Room” series’ backstory is cosmic horror, judging by the tentacle invasion, but I like puzzle games. Also, the game wouldn’t be nearly as enjoyable without a touch screen. It’s not a horror, survival game, either. Just a creepy game that took excellent advantage of touchscreen tablet technology (it was a bigger deal at the time) that was designed by the studio instead of buying a bunch of puzzles we’ve all played over and over again in a variety of games…I’m pretty sure. I think there is an android port of all of the games.

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 4, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rings in space

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL-sX36SJvc

In 1988, a British anarcho-punk band decides to release a concept album loosely based around Lovecraft and his work (the cover art depicts the title character from "The Music of Erich Zann"). 30 tracks, with the longest one being a hair over 3 minutes, and interspersed with various bits of odd noises, a spoken passage or two from Lovecraft's work, and things that sound like snippets of sketches off a Monty Python record.

(E: a review I read said it's more like 54 tracks, but that's counting the weird little snippets and such as their own individual tracks; I believe a lot of modern digital music sites just count the tracks that are actual songs and lump the short bits in as part of a song, either at the beginning or end)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 4, 2023

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I'm having a hard time paying attention, I'm just thinking about Azathoth and where I fit into the plan. I hope I can stake out at least a semi mushy but also rocky asteroid nearby.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

Sydney Bottocks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL-sX36SJvc

In 1988, a British anarcho-punk band decides to release a concept album loosely based around Lovecraft and his work (the cover art depicts the title character from "The Music of Erich Zann"). 30 tracks, with the longest one being a hair over 3 minutes, and interspersed with various bits of odd noises, a spoken passage or two from Lovecraft's work, and things that sound like snippets of sketches off a Monty Python record.

do not quote me a 1988 anarco-punk, what the gently caress does that even mean?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Plan? Are you serious? Imagine 4D layer laid upon 4D layer and so on....

And then ask me about a muthafuckin plan!

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Yeah, because I only have like two dimensions, and so I only fit into one slice of them. So it should be pretty easy figuring out some coords on a plane that looks aight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

smash howard eat the negro eggs