Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm reading through the complete lovecraft collection rn, read most of it before but not all in one go. to be charitable, some of the stories are negatively affected by needing to be published in magazine-friendly chunks; to be less charitable, sometimes he's not a good writer and you wish someone else could have a go at the basics of the story because his ideas and visions are what are compelling. and they can be really good and worth the occasional slog and 'ok howard, sure...'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
step 1 in creating an extremely tense story: tell the entire thing in a letter from the protagonist after he has escaped the harrowing danger

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

he hates sailors too

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

blight rhino posted:

there are also more than a few of "AND HE WAS DEAD ALL ALOOOOOONNNNNG!!! *GASP*!"
or empty caskets, graves, etc.
Like kinda cheesy campfire stories.

that, was just like... really? Compared to Mountains of Madness, and some of his others. i can't remember the titles of any others off-hand, but you know what i'm sayin

hm i haven't run into many of those yet, mostly it's just things where it's very obvious what's happening the entire time. like Charles Dexter Ward, pretty long and you can call exactly what's happening well in advance. but, it's still a cool/disturbing enough story with enough effective moments i liked it overall. but still, you just know there's a much better story hidden in there

on the other hand, most people who try to write like lovecraft are just missing some critical element so it's harder than it looks i guess

of course this story also features an unfortunately named cat, so