Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Tarkus posted:

It is the source for my favorite phrase. "If it's yellow let it mellow. If it's brown.... let it mellow"

I can't find the actual strip.

Here you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Does anybody have access to the CAD parody comics from which my avatar comes from?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jesus Christ, the first episode is bad, but they somehow get even worse:

The later episodes had a trilogy that ripped off Star Wars (because nerds), with Jack Thompson as Darth Vader and Hillary Clinton as the emperor, whose evil scheme was to take down video games by putting a billboard saying "VIDEO GAMES ARE BAD" in some town in the middle of nowhere. They tried to cram every key plot point into a total of 15 minutes, so it makes no sense on top of looking like a slightly more polished version of something a 14 year old would make in flash.

Tim Buckley seemed to be weirdly obsessed with Jack Thompson to a creepy degree, even though he was (or was about to be) disbarred by the time this cartoon came out.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 8, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
He wasn't even wrong, videogames are bad

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The animation studio that produced CAD The Series also makes Least I Could Do, which also had an animated pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3eZY2_Di1c

Somehow, nobody picked this for a full series.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

laserghost posted:

The animation studio that produced CAD The Series also makes Least I Could Do, which also had an animated pilot.

i love the. wood textures

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
gamers rise up

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

laserghost posted:

I remember being aware of LICD from the original buckley mock threads, but never actually saw it until now. this main character is pretty much indistinguishable from CAD's main character except he runs a company

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Checked a few sites that were mentioned for old times sake and looks like VGCats is down. Another one bites the dust I guess.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Speaking of terrible old game videos, how long as it been since your daily dose of gaming goodness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lURWtVhLKN8

In spite of the beyond-abysmal production values, it did bring these guys some notoriety (there wasn't much else in 2005), and they may have been able to ride this to a life on easy street as they started covering events and struck a deal with MTV to produce content. Then, infamously, the main presenter stalked some girl and threatened to shoot up her university after she blew him off (right after the Virginia Tech massacre), which caused everyone to run away screaming from anything he was remotely associated with.

There's a whole Down the Rabbit Hole episode about this bizarre show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0uWTKomkaY

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 8, 2023

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Instead, Guru Larry got his show on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8--wO3TaGMc

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

God this is the definition of speaking truth to power. Someone should put it on a t shirt

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UwToHbkNNM

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

The_Franz posted:

Tim Buckley seemed to be weirdly obsessed with Jack Thompson to a creepy degree, even though he was (or was about to be) disbarred by the time this cartoon came out.

Penny Arcade was too. For a while, Gabe was one of the shittiest dudes on the internet, one of the pioneers of using your audience to brigade people you don't like, with Jack Thompson being one of the early targets so it spread to the wider video-gane-comicsosphere. Jack Thompson didn't have much actual sway IRL, but his anti-video game/'video games cause violence' stance infuriated Gabe and he kinda hyper-fixated on 'how DARE Jack Thompson not appreciate video games as ART!!!' with all his fans joining gleefully in the bandwagon.

Jack Thompson wasn't the only one, it eventually just became him going after anyone who disagreed with him in anything, from his dickwolves comic to 30 Rock. He's since stopped and sorta kinda apologized for it, mostly because they were getting complaints from fans about how intense Gabe was getting (so basically Robert/Kiko made him do it because it was affecting their money), saying it was some maladjusted behavior from being bullied as a kid and responding harder in turn.

They run a children's charity so it's hard to go after the guy too much for it. So no one really brings it up, but... he was a real sunnuvabitch bitch for a while there.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 8, 2023

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The_Franz posted:

Speaking of terrible old game videos, how long as it been since your daily dose of gaming goodness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lURWtVhLKN8

In spite of the beyond-abysmal production values, it did bring these guys some notoriety (there wasn't much else in 2005), and they may have been able to ride this to a life on easy street as they started covering events and struck a deal with MTV to produce content.

This is loving crazy… I was just thinking about crap the other day and couldn’t find it (I think it was originally on Google Video) so thanks for that.

IIRC they ended up doing some kind of show on MTV2 that I also can’t find.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

hell yeah Gamers rise up

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

StrangersInTheNight posted:

They run a children's charity so it's hard to go after the guy too much for it. So no one really brings it up, but... he was a real sunnuvabitch bitch for a while there.
I think it's really having kids and getting properly medicated (therapy too maybe) that calmed him down.

Child's Play itself has more to do with Khoo watering that seed. Iirc the PA guys wanted to donate GameCubes or something in the children's ward and leave it at that. Dude probably saw it as a great opportunity to build brand trust, industry partners, mainstream buy-in, and a nice tax write-off.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

FilthyImp posted:

Child's Play itself has more to do with Khoo watering that seed. Iirc the PA guys wanted to donate GameCubes or something in the children's ward and leave it at that. Dude probably saw it as a great opportunity to build brand trust, industry partners, mainstream buy-in, and a nice tax write-off.

Makes you wonder why he left. He seems the brains behind their whole success.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

School Nickname posted:

There's no 'seems' here, he is. They were working selling computers at some now-defunct retailer and the site was a money-losing hobby for them before Khoo came along and monetized their audience.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
GWIW I get the feeling that Tycho sucks poo poo too. Just is more muted and less impulsive. He had a post a while back about his kid being assessed at school because he would do poo poo like talk to the soap dispenser and you could tell he was very much in a concerned space that intersected "how the gently caress can i even help here", "oh God is this my fault/are my genes that hosed", and "please be ok please be ok". Not too long ago he posted some vitriol about his kid being labelled "Twice Exceptional" . It sounds by his account that the SPS completely dropped the ball on the implementation of the kids education plan, outright not providing services (with a dash of him not realizing that the label doesn't impart special classes and demeaning the kids peers, but whatevs). I think anyone else with his resources would consider, at the minimum, a lawsuit or similar escalation given how badly the school hosed up, but Tych apparently prefers to be angry at the dumb schools and (ironically) the use of language to complicate things or something.

School Nickname posted:

I assume you get bored just managing the pot of gold. Certainly someone that talented would need something to keep busy with that didn't involve worrying if a dweeb was going to say something that would scuttle a deal or sponsorship or whatever that had taken months to line up.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

FilthyImp posted:

GWIW I get the feeling that Tycho sucks poo poo too. Just is more muted and less impulsive. He had a post a while back about his kid being assessed at school because he would do poo poo like talk to the soap dispenser and you could tell he was very much in a concerned space that intersected "how the gently caress can i even help here", "oh God is this my fault/are my genes that hosed", and "please be ok please be ok". Not too long ago he posted some vitriol about his kid being labelled "Twice Exceptional" . It sounds by his account that the SPS completely dropped the ball on the implementation of the kids education plan, outright not providing services (with a dash of him not realizing that the label doesn't impart special classes and demeaning the kids peers, but whatevs). I think anyone else with his resources would consider, at the minimum, a lawsuit or similar escalation given how badly the school hosed up, but Tych apparently prefers to be angry at the dumb schools and (ironically) the use of language to complicate things or something..
what

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Imagine expecting a web comic artist to have any sort of sense

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

British Mario sees a turtle and becomes enraged

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

B^U

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Or what? You won't violence me?
Checkmate, atheists.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Lol I never thought about how stupid that is. "You better not say we're violent OR ELSE" :argh:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Always wondered how you could prove if someone is a real Christian. Slap one across the face. If they complain about it "Hey, what did Jesus say about turning the other cheek! Now, brace yourself for the backhand!"

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I have five minutes left on this day, the day of our lord and savior, to say that every gamer’s struggle is exactly like that of Jesus Christ

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Valko posted:

Always wondered how you could prove if someone is a real Christian.

Same way you'd test most who claim to belong in a group or ideology: see how they act and speak when they think no one's watching.

...what if Tim Buckley didn't actually play all that many games, and just collected them to look at the pretty box art?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

The_Franz posted:

There's no 'seems' here, he is. They were working selling computers at some now-defunct retailer and the site was a money-losing hobby for them before Khoo came along and monetized their audience.

Oh poo poo I didn't know he left PA! Where did he go? More power to him, yeh man go live your life

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MrQwerty posted:

lmao his art style was never great but it has evolved to utter poo poo

Updated

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I wish somebody sued Bim Tuckley for his crimes against laughter

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
PA had a big rant about counterstrike when CS:Source came out. Gabe was playing badly against everyone that had never stopped playing counterstrike. He took it badly and the rant was mostly "sorry I'm not poor enough to be stuck playing the same game on the same pc for X years"

Can't find it on their website though. Weird!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

loving anime has more varied face designs then this! Jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'll admit, that one got a chuckle out of me