Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i had a legendary poop five minutes ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fun hater posted:

just wanted to mention that sheer heart attack has no weakness

i genuinely can't tell if this is continuing the queen conversation or if it's about jojo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stux posted:

lol @ entire thread getting furious at someone not liking old rear end rock music

i'm pretty sure pog boyfriend has a hit out on me now after i said buddy holly was weezer's only good song in a SAD thread

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

the original naming

Wow it’s literally five years older than I thought it was, I honestly thought it got named during the skateboarding ideas guy thread

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Rutibex thought machine learning image generators have levels of sentience comparable to human toddlers and then used them to generate upskirt shots of Princess Peach so I guess what I'm saying is the cognitive dissonance of believing in both magic and AI is just the tip of the iceberg.

He’s also trying to sell a book made of ml generated dungeons and dragons poo poo that he “edited”

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deki posted:

For the longest time, I never got why he got threadbanned for being dogshit at builds, but I think I get it now. It wasn't really because he was poo poo at the game, was it?

It’s because he was poo poo at builds and aggressively recommending them to other players. I explained it in SAD recently talking about why POE in general leads to angry posting:

Arivia posted:

Okay so you take absurd levels of gear customization that make Diablo 2 look like baby town frolics

Then staple on the sphere grid from final fantasy x for character building

Finished the base game? Great, here’s a SECOND sphere grid solely about how you want to play the game at max difficulty with uh, let me count four plus one plus one plus four plus one okay so yeah eleven additional difficulty sliders to play with on top of that (which your second sphere grid choices make more or less effective)

Oh and the way most people play is seasonal mode so all of this learning and progression is reset every three to four months. Have fun!

The common refrain on the goon discord is that after playing for ten years you might finally have a basic understanding of the game internalized

e: technically none of these choices are permanent. In effect, it can be extremely difficult to compensate for a bad choice, especially if it was done early and doubled-down on. That’s why people applauded the threadban for bad build guides guy, because he kept arguing his stuff was good for new players when it would gently caress them over so hard before they knew any better. And as a result it could ruin hours of effort or just make the game completely unfun.

e: to add to this, the new season starts in a week. It’s adding unique talent trees for every single weapon in the game. HAVE FUN.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deki posted:

Oh I definitely get that, I just wasn't reading/posting in the thread when he was pissing people off so it seemed like a bizarre thing to get threadbanned over.

And yes, I'm looking forward to the 4th talent tree in the game being added. unironically.

4th? I’m guessing you’re separating skill tree and ascendancy points to get 3.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

thank you for explaining this because i was abotu to ask whats so egregious about bad path of exile builds

Yeah if you want to mess around and make a lovely build yourself have fun. It’s forcing it on others that sucks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Path of exile sounds like the kind of nerdery I’d be into. That worries me

New league in a week, excellent time to start, goons are good to play with and have good advice

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m pretty sure that tree is badly out of date but yeah it gets the general idea across. You start at one of those seven car steering wheels in the center and get about 130 points on there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
This is the second skill tree. It’s solely for customizing end game zones for the kinds of gameplay you like. You start at the bottom and get 110 choices on this one:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Ok so if I want to give it a whirl, where should I start? Just download the game and go or spend several days reading somewhere first?

You’ll want to start on Thursday with the new league. The thread in Games has a lot of good advice, and maxroll.gg has a lot of good starter guides.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

So wait, every 20 days or so the game is reset and I lose all my progress? Is that how leagues work?

Every three to four months. If you want to keep playing that character you can, they get moved into “Standard” which has no league rotations and you can just keep trucking if you want.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Does the ability to reallocate skill points exist if I gently caress up my build?

Yes. You get some from quests and others can be traded for (it’s a standard relatively common currency). If you’re playing with other goons in league people will happily give you some free if you need them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Downloading it now. Extremely slow download for some reason. Why is this game free btw? Is it a pay to win-type deal?

It’s on Steam if steam is fast for you. You’re probably downloading the client direct from NZ where the devs are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

ask ChatGPT for a Path of Exile build

The goon PoE discord has a dedicated channel for this but I just tried it and it’s broken

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ulvir posted:

the five times goons made you go “what the BLEEP”

Only 5???

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Do you really want us to run an alt check on you?

I have here in my hand a list of 205 Vincent Van Goatse alts that were known to the mods as being permabanned and who nevertheless are still posting and shaping the culture of the Something Awful forums.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I rewatched the three Indiana Jones movies this week and they won. They’re super violent and great.

and the crystal skull?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Ok I'm level 11 in PoE. I'm leaning on ethereal knives to do most of the heavy lifting coupled with sniper's mark. For bosses i'm running in and poisoning with viper strike and then running away/throwing more knives. I'm using on of the recommended skill builds for my first time out - a couple quick questions for anyone here who plays the game:

1) What am I supposed to be doing with those crucible totem things? I don't understand what they do or how dangerous they are. Holding down the activate button seems to spawn more enemies but I'm afraid I'm going to spawn something I can't kill. What's the deal here?

2) Should I be figuring out how to craft/mod armor and weapons? I'm basically just grabbing what I find on the ground and replacing stuff I'm wearing that's worse as I go along. I've found several named yellow weapons and armor pieces but can only use one of them. I threw the rest in my stash for now until I figure out what to do with them. Problem is, I now have several linked/support green skills and not enough linked green slots to use them. I have a whole bunch of orbs/orb parts/whatever.

I mean this 100% seriously: the PoE thread in Games is full of nice helpful people who are very much happy to answer any and all noob questions you may have.

Crucible totem things are the league gimmick. You can ignore them while levelling if you want. When you click and hold on the display you see the red bar filling up. That red bar, when it’s full, unlocks an ability on the weapon or shield you selected. As you hold to fill up the red bar more, more enemies which are also more powerful will spawn. Filling the red bar up about halfway at a time should give you an okay fight that’s not too hard. (If for some reason you end up with crucible monsters that you can’t kill at all, you can generate a new version of the area by holding control when clicking on an entrance or on your map when teleporting there.)

Crafting in PoE can be extremely complicated and involved. You do not need to craft anything in Act 1. You maybe want to craft some stuff in Act 4 or 5. As a general rule of thumb while levelling, you want a weapon that matches whatever you’re doing with good dps numbers/modifiers on it (so for ethereal knives you want daggers with good damage stats I imagine), and sockets/links to fit your important skills (you will have more gems than you have space for while levelling, this is normal). Your stat goals while levelling are to get at least 300 life per act (so 300 in act 1, 600 in act 2, so forth and so on), and to get your elemental resistances (fire, cold, and lightning) as high as possible up to the cap of 75% for each resistance. In act 1, you need some cold resist for the act boss (merveil). If you find and equip a sapphire ring, that’s enough. If you haven’t found a sapphire ring by the time you get to the cavern of wrath, buy an iron ring and any blue gem from Nessa in town, then sell those right back to her in one sale transaction and she’ll give you a sapphire ring in exchange.

e: you’re going to get tons of yellow rarity item drops. If it’s not something that has links/sockets you can use, sell it to a vendor. If it is something that has links/sockets you can use, check and see if it has better life/resistances (or movement speed, if it’s boots): if yes, equip it, if not, sell it.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 13, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Comparing Finnish people to Malkavians is making them sound way too cool tbh

Ah finally Nuns’ home forum shines through. I always knew this day would come.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Whoever recommended Parh of Exile, you’re a jerk (also thank you).

I’m catching up on this thread finally you’re welcome lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Y'all need Deneir

As the dedicated forgotten realms fan on the forum thank you for this

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I did it I finally caught up on this thread y’all post WAY too much imo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol from what i remember tld actually jacked up synthy and larrys stats and they still lost because the ai in wwe games does what it wants and the stats dont matter

From what I understand about wrestling that’s pretty correct in a simulationist way

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Listen it's very simple, I want the game to be the exact same as the tenth year of support of Diablo 3, which was catering to only my specific kind of brain worms where I get the dopamine pings every 4 seconds and I don't ever die.

Since we seemed to set up an embassy here: have you tried path of exile?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have a neurodevelopmental disorder, am I allowed to call people r-worded for liking Diablo

Yes. You are very risible for not liking Diablo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I watched Saving Private Ryan once and I'm pretty sure none of those guys in the D-Day landing sequence got wet ergo...

They certainly did, wet with piss and blood

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I don't like the strip club guy choosing a rereg handle with "Glistening" in it

he's infringing on a glistening hodor's turf

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thanks, Valko.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

qnqnx posted:

Forum bans are not enough, that is a poster that should be banned from life or at least from the Internet.

Wow capital forums punishment is a new one

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

does anyone remember the ending of FEAR 2

what the poo poo was up with that

They tried to top “you’re secretly Alma’s son” as the twist ending from the first game with “Alma wants another son” in the second game through the medium of you as the victim in a first person rape qte.

For those who don’t know FEAR, Alma is basically the ghost from like The Ring.

And this was a major AAA game back in its day, not some weird Steam hentai fetish thing. Most of the game is a fps with horror elements, and then that’s the ending. I’m not making any of this post up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

lol it was the most obscure slur ever, and quickly became clear they learned it from the movie Black Dynamite

e. censored because lol

guess what thread that's in. you'll never get it right. what the hell some people on this forum

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How many loving slurs do you Americans even have

so many. all the slurs. every word is a slur. we've all been cancelled since birth. the woke original sin, our names an affront to every race, gender, creed and ability.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Here’s a bit of fun forums stupidity for y’all: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032499&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=37#post532964708

American goon goes on a trip to visit military museums in Canada, has adventures. Then he posts about his experience with the Canadian Unabomber in the Byward Market (a high-end shopping district/tourist pedestrian area) and gets roundly mocked for carrying his shotgun flashlight in case the scary Canadians assault him. (Outside his hotel room. He has a knife to protect his hotel room with.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

violates the grace period rule we're not allowed to laugh at it

sorry vvg you have to unlaugh

Whoops I checked the op and missed the grace period rule I’m sorry take mercy on me rhino

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plant MONSTER. posted:

in his defense there was a shooting in the byward market last month*. A coworker was stuck in a basement in some place downtown until 4 am cause of it but holy poo poo reading their posts about detailed interactions with every local just makes me wince for some reason. It's like leaving a yelp review on random people.

*i dont know what a gun shaped flashlight is supposed to accomplish. every part of it sounds loving stupid and if I see an idiot brandishing a gun flashlight I will do everything in my power to see to it that they are bullied thoroughly.

it was the tactical flashlight he normally has attached to his shotgun, not a gun-shaped shotgun. he didn't take like a people flashlight, he took his EXTRA SPECIAL GUN LIGHT.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
in my defense i missed my meds today and i think i just woke up but yes a gun shaped shotgun

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

That tourist goon's posting voice is infuriating. So self-satisfied.

it's like a gbs superstar of 20 years ago. I FOUGHT OFF THE CANADIAN UNABOMBER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fun hater posted:

im reading a book on hoarding and one of the clients is a gay man who would go to gay bars in poor countries to give the ugly guys free ipods out of charity

It’s okay to admit you’re reading three olives’ biography