Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Like others in here I really enjoyed the series but there was something about the second book that really scratched a specific itch - the bureaucracy of the Southern Reach, the weird fiefdoms of the company, the feeling that they had been left to their own devices (to rot) by the larger company, it has this vibe of just trying to appear busy while things crumble and decay around you. I don't really know how to put my finger on it to find more similar works in fictions but I the combo of industrial abandonment, decay, ecological terror and corruption (literal and figurative) are strongest in the second book and really stick with you.

Also by Vandermeer, the Ambergris stuff is largely great (there are some swings and misses) and Borne is solid. Looking to read Dead Astronauts when I can get around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

MNIMWA posted:

Like others in here I really enjoyed the series but there was something about the second book that really scratched a specific itch - the bureaucracy of the Southern Reach, the weird fiefdoms of the company, the feeling that they had been left to their own devices (to rot) by the larger company, it has this vibe of just trying to appear busy while things crumble and decay around you. I don't really know how to put my finger on it to find more similar works in fictions but I the combo of industrial abandonment, decay, ecological terror and corruption (literal and figurative) are strongest in the second book and really stick with you.

Yep, that weird almost John lecarre style bureaucratic warfare rules

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Loved the first and second Southern Reach, the final act of the second one is probably my favorite part of the series, but the third book seemed like kind of a... retread, for lack of a better word? It felt like it existed to overexplain what happened in the first two books.

Also I enjoyed Borne well enough, but I think it suffered from being a sort-of-sequel to his short story The Situation, which I adored. That whole collection, The Third Bear, is probably my favorite of his.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Oh Roadside Picnic is a good rec too, that's the book Stalker the film is based on

Roadside Picnic is excellent, it really gets across just how bleak and horrific the Zone is in a way that adaptations or it's descendants really don't

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

MNIMWA posted:

Also by Vandermeer, the Ambergris stuff is largely great (there are some swings and misses) and Borne is solid. Looking to read Dead Astronauts when I can get around to it.

You said it better than I ever could lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the audiobook has Balky from perfect strangers. i own a bigass hardcopy of the series. you could kill a horse with it.

let me echo the rec for the Weird comp. it introduced to me all kinds of new cool stuff.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Incredible series. All three books worked for me since I felt they followed an arc of "The consequences are coming, here are the people at the fringe and how these consequences drive them mad and to change" - "The consequences have risen over the horizon, corporate and bureaucratic power is revealed to be as weak and helpless and stupid as it always truly was, and it will make the consequences far worse" - "The consequences are here, the world is forever changed, and you will either change with it or you will be erased, and the consequences of these total actions have become All-Powerful because you put them off for as long as you could"

The movie was excellent but the Biologist was much too powerful a character and concept in the book to be translatable to the movies, so they did their best and it worked great for a 2 hour film. I read the themes of the books as being about the consequences of biological beings messing with the greater systems of nature, and the smaller systems of nature (human relations and emotions). Climate change, denying human nature to force it to live inside of a rigid and doomed system of resource depletion, the abuse of other people analogous to the abuse of nature, and how the extremes of these ultimate situations and consequences forcing people to discover both the extremes of their humanity and inhumanity.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I actually devoured the first two books in this trilogy over like three days on a vacation a few months ago, and then never got to the third despite how much I liked them. I will have to remedy that asap.

I loved Annihilation in particular and felt the narrative could easily be a self-contained story without suffering, but learning more about the psychologist was cool too

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Jeff has strong feelings about ecology. he doesn't just write about it.

https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1643332990389346305?s=20

also, has cool cat.
https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1642689109540962304?s=20

Veniss Underground is about to get a rerelease. all his recent stuff has had really good cover art. one way to get me to buy an actual hard copy.

https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1643291739669794816?s=20

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

Jeff has strong feelings about ecology. he doesn't just write about it.

arguably he did three books about it, featuring the Southern Reach

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Area X is real and, unsurprisingly, located in Florida.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

As someone from the very brown hills of California, when I envisioned much of this series I polled my personal experience of the horrifying green fecundity of Florida.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

MNIMWA posted:

dead astronauts was my fave book ive read in forever

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

baka fwocka fwame posted:

dead astronauts was my fave book ive read in forever

Borne, Strange Bird, Dead Astronauts, all those are suffused with this awful sense of melancholia, really did a number on me.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I too liked these books. The movie soundtrack goes well with the novels.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got Jeff VanderMeer to acknowledge my existence on Twitter when I told him he wrote the best 'Predator' novel ever written (which is accurate).

That's it, that's my contribution to this thread.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

I got Jeff VanderMeer to acknowledge my existence on Twitter when I told him he wrote the best 'Predator' novel ever written (which is accurate).

That's it, that's my contribution to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq7EDnC629s

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp85doDIjPE

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

started the firfsrt one last night OP, seems good

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Ordered dead astronauts and looking forward to it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's good. bit short though. murder control.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Thought the movie was pretty good. The music at the Crawler scene makes the entire thing for me. The synth sounds like an alien trying to communicate and it’s hard to tell what is music vs diagetic.

I recently binged the audiobook trilogy and I think I prefer it to the film. The return of the Biologist was a moment I had to relisten to a couple times. It happens so fast and her final form is just so alien. I remember her being some kind of walking ethereal whale with tide pools all over her immense back. I love how her design incorporated the tide pools from her past.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hello I finished Borne last night and it was my favorite book ever after Dhalgren and The Long Patrol

BORNE is so pre Caves of Qud its insane

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

Hello I finished Borne last night and it was my favorite book ever after Dhalgren and The Long Patrol

BORNE is so pre Caves of Qud its insane

make sure you read the other books in the series!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I will see if my library has them!

sdasdas
Dec 29, 2012
drat I really liked the movie and had no idea it was based on a book series. I'm gonna grab the first one this week, thanks OP

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

sdasdas posted:

drat I really liked the movie and had no idea it was based on a book series. I'm gonna grab the first one this week, thanks OP

No grab all three. The first is the best but they're meant to be read together.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

verbal enema posted:

Thank you, just ordered these two from the library.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

moana posted:

Thank you, just ordered these two from the library.

should have ordered all three, but i understand

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there's an omnibus of all three, see if you can get that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's a handsome tome. Makes me miss my physical library all over again.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

I have this and can confirm it owns

sdasdas
Dec 29, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

Got it! Annihilation is great so far, I'm surprised how short it is though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

uber_stoat posted:

Thanks for this, I just ordered a copy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

aniviron posted:

That's a handsome tome. Makes me miss my physical library all over again.

whoever is doing cover design for the American editions of Jeff's books recently is knocking it out of the park.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

whoever is doing cover design for the American editions of Jeff's books recently is knocking it out of the park.

I've got this one and it looks great on the shelf next to the Southern Reach trilogy with the similar layout. Also, definitely take the time to give Ambergris a go if you're a Vandermeer fan, some of it really sticks with you. Really fungal

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Im bout 2 start reading these books. Hope they're good n u are not lying

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

finished the first one. not bad. a very breezy read. i really liked the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just borrowed the whole trilogy from my buddy let's gooooooo