Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sprue posted:

I was reading it but just kinda petered out halfway thru the 3rd book. It felt like too much, like at that point he was writing fanfic of the first book. Should I go back and give it a try again?

Same, 'cept I crapped out in the first couple dozen pages. I felt done with the series at that point, but I'll probably go back and re-read 'em all again, including finishing the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

As someone from the very brown hills of California, when I envisioned much of this series I polled my personal experience of the horrifying green fecundity of Florida.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

silvergoose posted:

If I hate horror of basically all kinds and the trailers for the movies were themselves too much for me...avoid the books probably?

It's not really horror, it's more like an investigation of something unknown and unsettling, with some detective work occurring, some wilderness survival, and cutting through layers of knowledge kept out of reach, and some people acting strangely. I didn't find it scary or disgusting (if horror = fear + disgust).

Personally, I found the movie's visuals more unsettling than the content of the first two books, which I would say were more interesting, creative, and cool (haven't read the third), and I enjoyed formulating and "testing" my own theories about what was going on (which is why I mostly bounced off the third book). I would also say that I'm moderately easy to creep out, but it's a sensation I sometimes seek when reading.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 28, 2023