Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I recently finished the Annihilation series and I gotta say: it pwns. I like stuff that creeps me out and there are parts in these books that do it so well I probably won't ever stop thinking about them. Read that rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

It's actually titled The Southern Reach trilogy, but I just call it the Annihilation series since it's the best shot anyone has of recognizing it, due to the 2018 movie adaptation of the first book. It is what it is.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

First one's on my to do list, but I'm not huge on book series.

Me either, but they're relatively short reads.. especially the first one

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I like Annihilation the movie a lot more than the book. They are very different. Vandermeer edited a fat short story anthology called The Weird that I liked a whole lot.

I kinda agree, but I think a lot of that is due to the soundtrack

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCuBalItZA8

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

The visuals were well done in the movie too. The book and movie are so different that they are kind of hard to compare. They both had an excellent but totally different final act, but at the end of the day the movie is asking me more interesting questions than the book is. The movie has a lot to say about love and loss. It asks us how much we adapt to loving someone, and how much of ourselves we give over to love. Complicated questions. The book was less complex, and had more typical ideas of love, like, how far can you go for it? Literally, to what depths? And it was still good, but I think the movie had more interesting things to say.

the movie vastly undersells the psychologist's role but yeah you right

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Sprue posted:

I was reading it but just kinda petered out halfway thru the 3rd book. It felt like too much, like at that point he was writing fanfic of the first book. Should I go back and give it a try again?

As a weirdo completionist I say yes, but if you don't feel like doing it then don't

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Quinn's Ideas FTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsFFPLHQi2A&t=393s

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

FakeBlood posted:

I got the trilogy a little after seeing the movie but I have yet to actually read it.. Maybe I will start now.

you should

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

MNIMWA posted:

Like others in here I really enjoyed the series but there was something about the second book that really scratched a specific itch - the bureaucracy of the Southern Reach, the weird fiefdoms of the company, the feeling that they had been left to their own devices (to rot) by the larger company, it has this vibe of just trying to appear busy while things crumble and decay around you. I don't really know how to put my finger on it to find more similar works in fictions but I the combo of industrial abandonment, decay, ecological terror and corruption (literal and figurative) are strongest in the second book and really stick with you.

Also by Vandermeer, the Ambergris stuff is largely great (there are some swings and misses) and Borne is solid. Looking to read Dead Astronauts when I can get around to it.

You said it better than I ever could lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp85doDIjPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

moana posted:

Thank you, just ordered these two from the library.

should have ordered all three, but i understand