Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The only good thing about doing site visits around DC is the Second Story Books warehouse up in Bethesda, which is some whimsical fantasy novel rear end poo poo with bookshelves teetering overhead at 30 degree angles propped up by load-bearing Crime and Punishments taped into the superstructure but also has an extremely choice selection of every bizarre old book that has ever existed, at this point when I visit i pretty much pick a shelf at random and can expect to get an armload of good stuff out of it

Honorable mention to Station North Books in Baltimore, which IIRC I last walked out of with an illustrated Ramayana from 1890, a treatise on cyber-theology, a really exhaustive how-to guide on chemical warfare, and a deer haunch the owner threw in for free. I really hosed up cooking that haunch but that one was on me.

As a Montgomery County resident, I should note that there are also a couple of great Friends of the Library used bookstores, one in the Wheaton library itself and one in Rockville. Wonder Book in Gaithersburg is a bit more of a trip out, but it's good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU