Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Inferior Third Season posted:

Sex work is clearly not something for everyone, but neither is construction work.
Yeah, I feel like it makes more sense to think of work in terms of a multifaceted spectrum of stressors the worker has to go through, with different types of work hitting differently for different people. For lack of better terms, a simple division would be physical stress, intellectual stress, and emotional stress, but what might be devastating to some could be fine for others, and vice versa. Like, some people experience (potentially gruesome) death as part of their regular workday, but have a mental attitude that makes them resilient against that, while they'd fall apart if they were ever faced with having to do sex work. Vice versa, someone might be fine with sex work, but completely unable to deal with death. Or it could be near universally devastating, like being a content moderator on like Facebook.

Obviously societal attitudes can also influence the emotional impact of work, which seems a key part in making the work worse for the people who'd otherwise be content enough with the work.

That said, an objection to defining sex work as simply work I often see is that it risks opening the door to essentially the state saying "Do sex work or we'll take your benefits" to the unemployed. I think it might make sense to extend that logic further and include more jobs in the category of "jobs the state absolutely can't treat as just another job". It's one thing if sex work is specifically singled out, but if you expand it to other occupations that lie well outside the comfort zone of most people then it'd be normalized in a fashion. I mean, it'd be easier if people weren't forced to work, but within a liberal framework I think this division would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

This is just a tangential FYI, but you don't need quotes around "straight" here. The vast majority of men who are into transwomen are plain ol' heterosexual guys. Gay men don't tend to be interested in transwomen (because, well, they're women).
Isn't bi an option?