Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The issue of sexuality and religion is much more complicated than merely shame.

I’d more characterize it as an acknowledgement that : poo poo happens when one parties naked. Religious prohibitions are rules to try to prevent “poo poo happens” that get run through this process.

Religious dogma form this way:

“FIRST, the natural thought, which is in every religion.

SECOND, the methodological development of doctrines.

THIRD, the acceptance of some doctrines as protective doctrines against distortions.

FOURTH, the legalization of these doctrines as parts of the canonic law.

FIFTH, the acceptance of these doctrines as the foundation not only of the Church but also of the state, because the state has no other content than the content the Church gives it., so that he who is supposed to undermine this content not only undermines the Church but also the state.” - History of Christian Thought

So to deal with this all you have to face the natural thought at the root of it which is : sometimes bad things happen when we aren’t careful about sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Best success I've had is explaining that there is no daylight between being a prostitute and a construction worker. you're breaking your body for a boss that couldn't give a poo poo about you and at the end of the day you really need a shower.

Sex involves our emotional and physical connections to other people.

Construction work does not.

Here’s a counter example. We could say instead “that there is no daylight between being a soldier and a construction worker.”

This is not to say it isn’t work, just that within the category “work” there are meaningful differences in types of work particularly when meaning or social purpose is tied up with the work.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Inferior Third Season posted:

Sex having an emotional connection is not universal for all people in all situations, even outside of the context of sex work.

First, I’m for full decriminalizing. But this carries an awful lot of water. What percentage of folks of would you consider to not have a social / emotional connections to sex?

quote="Inferior Third Season" post="531078473"]
Sex work is clearly not something for everyone, but neither is construction work. And nobody should be forced to do either against their will just to afford the basic necessities of life, but :capitalism:
[/quote]

But that’s just it isn’t it. We are forcing folks to work against it their will. As they say :capitalism:. So is there a difference between needing/being forced by economics to take a construction job to have food and shelter and sex work for the same. At least for the vast majority of people there is.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That said, an objection to defining sex work as simply work I often see is that it risks opening the door to essentially the state saying "Do sex work or we'll take your benefits" to the unemployed.

There was a short period of that in Germany, I can’t remember exactly what they did to fix it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Did you read the Lorelei Lee piece linked earlier ITT? She directly addresses most of the points you are bringing up here.

I did.

I think it should be fully decriminalized. I think we should not stigmatize folks that do it.

I just don’t find either of those things attached particularly, to an acknowledgement that for most people sex is different. It is “special” because within their lives it is special and meaningful.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Being a self-help guru like Jordan Peterson also involves emotional and physical connections to other people but doesn't get anywhere near the amount of stigma sex work does, so it's more than just that.

Now Jordan Peterson, that’s a man fishing for young men to turn into fascists… we should absolutely stigmatize what he is doing. We should be socially / morally condemning Jorden Peterson in the strongest terms.