Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Brooks Koepka is gonna win the 2023 Masters and Greg Norman is gonna piss on Butler Cabin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Josh Lyman posted:

Brooks Koepka is gonna win the 2023 Masters and Greg Norman is gonna piss on Butler Cabin

LOL. They'll never let Norman anywhere near Butler Cabin, but Brooks winning would be hilarious.

Someone get this Bemnet kid a shirt that fits. He's too good to look like the old guys I play with who insist on wearing XL shirts when they should be in M's.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

He might need a looser shirt than normal to hit this position. Wild.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Max Homa is a fun dude. I hope he can make a run over the next couple of days

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Dango Bango posted:

Max Homa is a fun dude. I hope he can make a run over the next couple of days

Yeah he is. I really like the on course interviews that ESPN does. Wish the other networks would do the same, or are they doing it for early rounds (which I admittedly never watch)?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

trilljester posted:

Yeah he is. I really like the on course interviews that ESPN does. Wish the other networks would do the same, or are they doing it for early rounds (which I admittedly never watch)?

I want to say NBC did it for the Players.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

NBC has done it for the past 3 or 4 tournaments. Really surprised they are doing it at Augusta.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I almost wonder if some of these live open mic interviews could potentially run afoul of some of the ROG about outside assistance etc. I’m not saying it really is but I could definitely see old dudes on the rules council not liking it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

I almost wonder if some of these live open mic interviews could potentially run afoul of some of the ROG about outside assistance etc. I’m not saying it really is but I could definitely see old dudes on the rules council not liking it.
If I remember my Rules Of GolfTM correctly, it’s not a penalty to receive advice, only to ask for or give advice.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I had Jordan to shoot under 71.5 at +100, why does he have to do this to me

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Suprfli6 posted:

As long as the interviewer isn't telling the players things like, "this putt you're walking up to breaks more than it looks" or "everyone's missed this on the low side", or something like that, there's no rule for it to run up against. And I'm sure whoever's allowed to talk to the players is extremely aware of the rules around what constitutes advice.

That's also one of the reasons why they take the earpiece out before they hit any shots.

Also, LFG Max!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Homa just had his earpiece in for both of his putts and I know he didn’t ask for advice but even an off handed comment like “I’m seeing two cups of break, sound good?” could be interpreted as a violation imo.

Lol that Kim bunker shot into the water off the false front is rough. TV really doesn’t do the slopes justice here.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BCRock posted:

As long as the interviewer isn't telling the players things like, "this putt you're walking up to breaks more than it looks" or "everyone's missed this on the low side", or something like that, there's no rule for it to run up against. And I'm sure whoever's allowed to talk to the players is extremely aware of the rules around what constitutes advice.

That's also one of the reasons why they take the earpiece out before they hit any shots.

Also, LFG Max!

Yeah the Q&A was very benign and general "how do you handle this weather", "how do you stay focused"

As if Rory needs advice from Shane Bacon.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I want to say in one of the NBC interviews the interviewer actually danced around something that might toe the line of advice.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Aren't they allowed to ask their caddy a question for advice?

This seems like a Stupid Rule anyway.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

mdemone posted:

Aren't they allowed to ask their caddy a question for advice?

This seems like a Stupid Rule anyway.

A caddy is basically considered to be an extension of the player with many rules. Asking advice from a competitor or the gallery is a breach of the rules though.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yeah, I haven't had the sound on for any of the interviews so I don't know what's actually been said but what is/isn't advice is pretty explicit in the rules. If one of the interviewers cost these guys some penalty strokes I'm sure they'd get fired, so lol if they gently caress that up somehow.

I saw Max take the earpiece out when he hit his shot from the fairway, but didn't notice whether he did or not on his putts. Strange if he didn't.

Tom Kim got jobbed there on that bunker shot. The slopes everywhere really are insane and do not come across on TV very well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

This is the full Spieth rollercoaster.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Anno posted:

This is the full Spieth rollercoaster.

If he knocks this close I'll forgive him for the last two disasters

Edit: Tiger at +2 is his best-case scenario for having hit a total of zero (0) iron shots well today

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Tiger drove the ball decently, only a few really bad ones, but otherwise I totally agree. He hit a ton of bad irons, didn't seem to go after any pins with his wedges, and putted really poorly for Tiger + Augusta. Hopefully he can get something going early in his round tomorrow and somehow finish before they call it for weather/darkness so he doesn't have to finish the round Saturday morning in 40* weather.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Pretty awesome for an amateur to shoot -4 with no bogeys.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Chromatics posted:

Pretty awesome for an amateur to shoot -4 with no bogeys.

Yeah he looked great out there. On the flip side, Rory is not getting any breaks today.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The cut is 36 + ties, correct? So if the cut was today, that'd put it at even par, or +1?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Top 50 and ties.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pool standings after round 1.

edit: Forgot to include BCRock’s pick.

edit2: Forgot to include Shrapnig’s.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 7, 2023

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh wow, really? I count 86 active competitors after Zalatoris and Na withdrew, so most of the field makes the cut?

Basically trying to see if Tiger is likely to make the cut after his poor showing today

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think Tiger would make the cut for sure if this was going to be a normal tournament. The weather looks so hosed though that he honestly should think about WDing? Maybe if he'd be on the other side of the draw and could probably get in his round tomorrow morning, but I can't see him playing potentially 20-30 holes on Saturday in 40something temps and rain/wind.

Or maybe no one will and it'll be like a Tuesday finish.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Josh Lyman posted:

Pool standings after round 1.

I picked Keegan on page 1. He will absolutely not win, but I don't want to stiff whoever picks correctly out of their $20.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BCRock posted:

I picked Keegan on page 1. He will absolutely not win, but I don't want to stiff whoever picks correctly out of their $20.
Thanks for the catch, I completely missed your pick.

And hey, Keegan is T17. You totally have a chance to win!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Thanks for the catch, I completely missed your pick.

And hey, Keegan is T17. You totally have a chance to win!

Young Cameron is also missing

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Last place. Nowhere to go but up!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Young Cameron is also missing
My bad, I accidentally included Jason Day so that threw off my counts. 1st round screenshot updated.

Dango Bango posted:

Last place. Nowhere to go but up!
Oosthuizen is actually last in the pool but the bottom 3 players didn’t fit in the screenshot :ssh:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Oosthuizen is actually last in the pool but the bottom 3 players didn’t fit in the screenshot :ssh:

Either way, I just hope Sahith makes the cut. I knew picking him was a $20 donation since he hasn't been playing consistently. But I had to make the homer pick because his family is incredible.

nerox
May 20, 2001
If the weather does what is predicted, thunderstorms this afternoon, all day rain tomorrow. What does the rest of the tournament look like as far as when round 2 gets finished and round 3 start?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I don't want a Liv guy to win, but if it has to be one Brooks would be my choice, he's on fire this morning.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

nerox posted:

If the weather does what is predicted, thunderstorms this afternoon, all day rain tomorrow. What does the rest of the tournament look like as far as when round 2 gets finished and round 3 start?

They might still complete round 2 today since they moved tee times up 30 minutes but it really depends on how long they have to stop play for thunder. They'll probably be able to play in the rain tomorrow but might have some delays so I'd still expect to finish on Sunday, they might need to complete round 3 early Sunday morning though.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

mattfl posted:

I don't want a Liv guy to win, but if it has to be one Brooks would be my choice, he's on fire this morning.

I never really liked him because of the 2018 PGA but the Full Swing episode with Brooks actively pushed that over to "wow, this guy's a dickhead"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If nothing else, whoever has historically been making the weather related decisions at the Masters is making those calls early and surprisingly accurately to do everything they can to finish the tournament on Sunday.

nerox
May 20, 2001

mattfl posted:

The other maybe more funny option is that Brooks using this weather advantage today goes into Sunday with a 6 stroke lead and then melts down and loses by 5 strokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
McIlroy choking. Dude consistently plays below expectations.