Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Are you reading something and you just read a passage that made you nod your head sagely in appreciation or just go 'ooh that's nice'? Maybe you read something years ago and it resonated with you so hard that you still think of it from time to time or have it tattooed on your back. If so post it in here. You can include a title and author if you want but you don't have to if you want to be mysterious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It was too good to last, he thought. I wish it had been a dream now and that I had never hooked the fish and was alone in bed on the newspapers.

“But man is not made for defeat,” he said. “A man can be destroyed but not defeated.”

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Starting a novel is opening a door on a misty landscape; you can still see very little but you can smell the earth and feel the wind blowing.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The smoke alarm went off in the hallway upstairs, either to let us know the battery had just died or because the house was on fire. We finished our lunch in silence.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
lmao actually I found my notes from White Noise and like half the book is highlighted

quote:

All plots tend to move deathward. This is the nature of plots. Political plots, terrorist plots, lovers’ plots, narrative plots, plots that are part of children’s games. We edge nearer death every time we plot.

quote:

Crowds came to form a shield against their own dying. To become a crowd is to keep out death.

quote:

Love helps us develop an identity secure enough to allow itself to be placed in another’s care and protection.

quote:

The power of the dead is that we think they see us all the time. The dead have a presence. Is there a level of energy composed solely of the dead? They are also in the ground, of course, asleep and crumbling. Perhaps we are what they dream. May the days be aimless. Let the seasons drift. Do not advance the action according to a plan.

quote:

In a crisis the true facts are whatever other people say they are. No one’s knowledge is less secure than your own.

quote:

Winnie was barely into her thirties but she had a sane and practiced eye for the half-concealed disasters that constitute a life.

quote:

“I’m still sad, Winnie, but you’ve given my sadness a richness and depth it has never known before.” She turned away, blushing. I said, “You’re more than a fair-weather friend—you’re a true enemy.” She turned exceedingly red.

quote:

Nostalgia is a product of dissatisfaction and rage. It’s a settling of grievances between the present and the past. The more powerful the nostalgia, the closer you come to violence. War is the form nostalgia takes when men are hard-pressed to say something good about their country.”

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

In the old days a man was put in prison for debt, but there were subtler things now. They made it a shame not to have money and set everybody to work.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

They had been corrupted by money, and he had been corrupted by sentiment. Sentiment was the more dangerous, because you couldn’t name its price. A man open to bribes was to be relied upon below a certain figure, but sentiment might uncoil in the heart at a name, a photograph, even a smell remembered.

Okay ill stop now

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

I know what I'm reading next based on these quotes. Thanks!

I remembered liking it but sort of forgot how much until coming back to those. Might be due a reread tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
There is a particular intensity about clever men whose brains are under-used, and sometimes there is no way they can control their emanations. In that sense, they are a great deal more at risk, under the bright lights, than their more stupid colleagues.