Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I recently made mayonnaise in my blender and working from memory (it's been quite a while since I made my own, and couldn't find the written version) put in too much lemon juice and vinegar. It was usable but quite thin, and very lemony. Worked very well with hamburgers, thinly spread on the bun. Unfortunately the emulsion broke after a day or so. It would stay solid in the fridge and then separate and melt all over the place within a minute or two after spreading it on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Not a cooking gently caress-up, but an equipment gently caress-up: My 20+ year old espresso machine has long been overdue for a good cleaning, gasket change, etc. The shower screen is attached to the grouphead by a screw in the center. I initially tried using manual screwdrivers to undo it, to no avail. Then I went out and got an electric one, which I was sure would do the trick. Still no luck. Also the slot in the screw was getting a little deformed by this point and the screwdriver head would occasionally slip and catch the screen. Then I had the brilliant Idea of trying an impact driver. Surely that would be able to break it loose.

Now I have an old-rear end espresso machine with a mangled shower screen attached to the grouphead by a stripped-out flathead screw. Replacement parts are probably only available from Australia, the only country I can find where my particular model is still commonly sold. And I'm really not looking forward to trying to drill out the drat screw. I don't want to risk further damage to the machine as I can't afford to replace the whole thing. :sigh:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Well, I got the screw out. Turns out the problem likely was more the shower head than the screw--after trying (and failing) to drill out and remove the screw, I gave up and cut off the already-damaged shower head with a pair of tin snips. Once that was removed, the screw came out easily, and appeared to be only about hand-tight. So the center of the screen must have been deformed, or bonded to the screw by old coffee gunk, or something. Anyways, it's gone, and on the plus side, everything I need to replace are standard parts used across a wide variety of manufacturers and are both cheap and readily available in the US. So still a gently caress-up, but not nearly as bad as I thought.