Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I've been reading her short story collections lately (Compass Rose / Winds's Twelve Quaters) and the non Hainish stuff is still really good. especially enjoyed Intracom as a pregnancy metaphor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Anachronist posted:

I enjoyed lathe of heaven. Read it on a backpacking trip and tbh gave myself the heebie jeebies. I can see why one wouldn’t put it in their top top tier though. It’s the only one I’ve read besides omelas I guess. Sounds like I need to check out some other books of hers.

Having read The Lathe of Heaven in one sitting, and coming off re-reading the rest of her back catalogue - I think it's a great allegory for how we all influence and change the world, which fits well with the Earthsea books and The Dispossessed.

We start off with a world wrecked by mankind collectively, afflicted by climate change and war. Haber uses Orr's ability to try and change the world to fit his own ideals, but each time has to grapple with the unintended consequences of that utopia. it's clear that Orr's Taoist ideals of living in peace with the consequences of your actions is for the best from Le Guin's perspective. I'm glad I left this as the last book as I think on its own it's not quite as strong, but it resonates a lot with her other works.