Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

KittenJucerSupreme posted:

This sounds interesting! I'm a sucker for this kind of mundane/absurd juxtaposition.

He's the dude who wrote Jennifer Government in which corporations have so much power, people take their employer for a last name and the instigating event is that a dude working for Nike organizes a mall shooting on the release day of Nike's new shoe to give it street cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

oh yeah The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird. Weird how much 20th century American literature we read despite being a school in England. I don't think we read anything from that century by a British author, maybe something by Huxley or 1984?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

JethroMcB posted:

I believe Maniac Magee was also on the BotB list for that year; I don't remember much at all about the book itself but I vividly remember the experience of reading it. Something about it hooked me so hard that I read half of it without stopping, and when I realized how far in I was I committed to finishing the entire thing in one sitting.

I also remember very little about Maniac Magee. Except for the fact that I absolutely tore through it as well, and that I cried at the end. It was one of the first books to do that me, as far as I recall.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Plebian Parasite posted:

I think the best thing I ever 'had' to read for school was Catch-22, but even then it was one of those 'write a report on one of these books I don't care which one' and I kinda just lucked out picking that one because it could've been so much worse; Catch-22 remains one of my favorite books.

That's pretty great for an assigned reading. I wonder if I would have loved it as much if I had been assigned it in school. (Though I did end up really loving Murakami after we did a unit on his short stories, definitely my favorite assigned reading by far.)

Animal-Mother posted:

We were told we could read any Steinbeck except that.

Perhaps the same phenomenon: We were assigned Black Boy by Richard Wright and explicitly instructed not to read the back half of the book, in which he joins the Communist Party. (Tbf it's not as interesting as the first half, but it might be the only time we were told not to read something in that class.)

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 9, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

vyelkin posted:

Back when people read books, they used to make you read them in school, maybe in English class. I was reminded of this by someone mentioning the Kite Runner in another thread, because as a good product of the Canadian education system, that was one of the books I had to read. We also read Ender's Game at one point which was pretty random but taught me that posting on the internet is the most important thing you can do as a human being so I guess it wasn't all bad.

Your Canadian education was different from mine. We read "Island of the Blue Dolphins", "Where the Red Fern Grows", Gordon Korman stuff, two kids surviving a winter in the wilderness, some book about nickel mining, one about a magic native American mask, and that one Canadian seal hunting tragedy. You're probably a good ten years younger than I am, at least. :corsair:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 9, 2023

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The only book I remember strongly - because I hated it so much that I still hate it all these years later - was Ethan Frome. Miserable sack of poo poo goes around being a miserable sack of poo poo then fails a murder-suicide so he can be even more of a miserable sack of poo poo forever and nobody learns nothin'. Goddamn

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Perhaps the same phenomenon: We were assigned Black Boy by Richard Wright and explicitly instructed not to read the back half of the book, in which he joins the Communist Party. (Tbf it's not as interesting as the first half, but it might be the only time we were told not to read something in that class.)

Our teacher read us* Ender's Game in Grade 6 and purposefully stopped before the last quarter of the book. I still don't know what happens. She told us it's simply boring. It could be anything, I never finished the book myself.

* Not that we read the book, but like in between periods if we were done early we'd all put our heads down and the teacher would read to us. This was a feature of my English education all the way through to the end of high school, which in hindsight is very weird. Getting read to is something i associate with not being able to read yourself. The moment I learned to read my parents stopped reading to me, but my teachers? reading to 18 year olds

Mister Facetious posted:

Your Canadian education was different from mine. We read "Island of the Blue Dolphins", "Where the Red Fern Grows", Gordon Korman stuff, two kids surviving a winter in the wilderness, some book about nickel mining, one about a magic native American mask, and that one Canadian seal hunting tragedy. You're probably a good ten years younger than I am, at least. :corsair:

I'm pretty young by SA standards but my school's library had like a million copies (which probably used to be in classrooms, from when it was on the curriculum) of Island of the Blue Dolphins so I figured it must be worth reading. Don't remember anything about it other than I thought it was boring as hell lmao

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Catch-22 was a book I read just before or after Catcher in the Rye and the contrast was astounding. The first third of the book felt nearly inscrutable - and then Heller's writing style locked in and it became this whirling, cyclical fever dream of a novel; fully delivering on the brilliant, inspired, poetical cynicism that I'd been told to expect from Catcher.

Mister Facetious posted:

"Where the Red Fern Grows"

Where the Red Fern Grows, in my memory, is an overwrought polemic about the dangers of running with an axe. I know other things happened in that book, but I just remember one of the dumb poor bully kids taking an unforced error to the heart.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
To this day, I can't stand Charles Dickens because of my 9th grade English teacher. She pushed him down our throat the whole semester. What sucked for me was, I was really starting to get into reading things other than comics around this time, discovering books that I liked on my own and she would constantly badger us if we displayed any interest in anything other than Dickens. No discussion on how his works influenced anyone else.

Great Expectations still is unbearable to me because of this bitch. The only thing I remember about the whole thing is having to write papers on each chapter and if you couldn't guess her exact interpretation of the material, she'd take points off and write you an essay back about why you were wrong about Pips place in the world. Or if we described the world as just a living hell of depression, she would counter with poo poo like "It was a different time and that was the romance of the era."

Lady, the world was poo poo, full of poverty, slavery and just people loving each other over left and right. This isn't Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman.

Getting out of that class was such a breath of fresh air. After that we'd read pretty much what everyone else has listed but were encouraged to find something we personally enjoyed. That's how I found Tolkken, David Eddings, Phillip K. Dick, Raymond Chandler and countless others.

Nowadays, I understand the importance Dickens played in the grand scheme of things. But for fucks sake lady, get off his dick and just be happy that a bunch of hick kids from smalltown Kentucky used a book for something other than wiping their rear end with.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Killingyouguy! posted:

my teachers? reading to 18 year olds

Did you get in trouble if you tuned out the teacher and read ahead on your own? My teachers did this until probably 8th grade but we each had our own copy to read along. It was miserable.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

UwUnabomber posted:

Did you get in trouble if you tuned out the teacher and read ahead on your own? My teachers did this until probably 8th grade but we each had our own copy to read along. It was miserable.

Oh, I think they stopped reading out our assigned books pretty early, other than Shakespeare lol, though no, I don't think I got in trouble for that. What I was describing, the book wasn't part of the curriculum, only the teacher had a copy and it was just free entertainment if we had like 15 minutes before the final bell or anything

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
We had to read out The Merchant of Venice in class. The teacher assigned particular roles to a bunch of us a few pages in based on whose voice/style she thought fit the character and who could pronounce the abbreviat’d words. I got Shylock

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I was an exchange student in high school, and in Dutch class we read Chinezen van glas by Nicolette Smabers. I did not, at that point, speak fluent Dutch so I struggled through it with a dictionary in one hand. I was so proud of my final 3-page paper about the underlying themes. When I got it back from Meneer Dammers he just wrote "NO" across the title page in red ink. Not even a "nee" because clearly he did not expect me to be able to translate it. :(

From the other side, in English class that year we read Animal Farm and Huckleberry Finn and it was a real eye-opener for me how torturous Twain's phonetic writing style was for people who spoke English fluently as a 2nd or 3rd language. Didn't help that the teacher had no clue what a Southern accent sounded like so she would mispronounce Jim saying "I's gwine ter" as something like "ease wean tea" so when i tried to explain that it means "I was going to" she'd just shake her head at me pityingly.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The only time I was read to in high school was 1) when we were studying poetry and things like meter and rhythm were important and 2) when our grade 11 teacher read us "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" and made us all swear that we wouldn't read ahead to the ending before him.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

to understand a reference in Catcher in the Rye, we had to read a chapter of David Copperfield, and then we all related to Holden when he was like 'that poo poo loving sucks' and our teacher was like 'lmao yeah dickens was paid by the word' and we rioted

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In high school we had an English class were we had to read Dracula, and at some point Frankenstein. And later the teacher had us watch the old Universal movies. But also Dracula, Dead and Loving It. The only movie I ever walked out of at the theaters as a kid. I don't remember a single word about either book. But I recently bought a really cool looking hard cover printing of Dracula from 2011. It's really hard to find a cover that isn't just ugly as hell, or weirdly sexual. I mostly only read horror stuff, and I felt weird not having a copy of that in there somewhere. So I'm excited to see if I actually like it or not.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The easiest A I ever got on an English class assignment was a book report on Jurassic Park, because it was already my favorite book at the time and I'd just recently finished re-reading it.

The main thing I remember about assigned reading in high school is that George Orwell is the most boring motherfucker I've ever had the displeasure of reading. I was an avid reader so school-mandated reading felt mostly like an inconvenience until I could go back to what I wanted to be reading.

JethroMcB posted:

Where the Red Fern Grows, in my memory, is an overwrought polemic about the dangers of running with an axe. I know other things happened in that book, but I just remember one of the dumb poor bully kids taking an unforced error to the heart.

lol that's the main thing I remember about that book too. Our fifth grade teacher read it aloud to the class and the raspy voice she did for the dying kid really stuck with me. Also if any of us in that room told you they weren't crying at the end they were a loving liar.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
lol goddamn 1984 sucks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
One summer we were given a list of books and we had to pick one to read so I picked Animal Farm because it was the shortest, because even though I loved reading I wanted to read books I chose for myself and not books that were imposed on me by school. Anyway Animal Farm is okay I guess, but I thought it was pretty heavyhanded even as a dumbass teenager.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Our teacher read us* Ender's Game in Grade 6 and purposefully stopped before the last quarter of the book. I still don't know what happens. She told us it's simply boring. It could be anything, I never finished the book myself.

At the end of the book the humans trick Ender into committing genocide against the aliens and it makes him sad.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

vyelkin posted:

At the end of the book the humans trick Ender into committing genocide against the aliens and it makes him sad.

loving lmao

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

lol goddamn 1984 sucks

I haven't revisited it since I was I think 15, but...

yeah, it sure fuckin' does

Also: After the end of the war he ends up finding a hidden bug queen egg and fucks off with it to explore space and hopefully one day atone for killing an entire species. Also his sociopath older brother ends up ruler of Earth or some poo poo, I forget exactly.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

what the christ

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Memories are coming back and the entire parallel plot with Ender's siblings is actually hilarious. They blog so good and so persuasively that they steer the Earth into a genocidal war with the aliens and then Peter parleys that into literal world domination lmao

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Mr. Baps posted:

Memories are coming back and the entire parallel plot with Ender's siblings is actually hilarious. They blog so good and so persuasively that they steer the Earth into a genocidal war with the aliens and then Peter parleys that into literal world domination lmao

the dream of every BrooklynDad_Defiant!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr. Baps posted:

It was the 80s, people didn't know yet that teens posting on the internet weren't going to become the world's most influential political thinkers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Anyone else made to read The Education of Little Tree?

It remains the absolute worst book I have ever read. Tells the autobiographical story of a cherokee descendant spending time with his grandparents...

except it was actually written by a white KKK segregationist shithead, and despite that, was still on Oprah's recommendations when I was in school, and in fact for years after that came to light

I am still so loving mad I read that book.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We had to read a ton of Shakespeare, minimum of one comedy and one drama every year for all five years of high school. I hated Shakespeare, other than Julius Caesar, and it wasn’t until after high school that I appreciated the plays. That was a common theme -in particular I remember being surprised by how much I liked Great Gatsby when I read it at like 20 compared to being forced to read it at 15.

I don’t remember anything particularly great from our reading lists. They were extremely white, extremely British (with a bit of cancon and the rare American) and extremely male. I did read a bunch of existentialist lit in French class which holds up real good.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I grew up in Missouri so I had to read a minimum of three books by Laura Ingalls Wilder a year for 7 years. Every once in a while I remember some detail from those books and go poking around on Wikipedia. Last time I found out that her arch nemesis Nellie Oleson wasn't even a real person. She was three different people that Laura just smashed together into Pioneer Bully.

Went on a field trip to the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum in Mansfield, MO and saw the gun her husband got her to shoot native Americans with after they saw some.

Her loving daughter grew up to be a libertarian writer and some racist alt history guy wrote a book where she's the president of the Confederacy in the 1940s.

I think about Laura Ingalls Wilder a lot.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I loving hated A Separate Peace, I still think it was educational malpractice to try to get me to relate to the infinite amount of novels about upper class white boys in boarding school I was assigned in Honors English, and why I ended up dropping Honors English to go read Greek plays, Shakespeare, and Hemingway in regular rear end English.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I used to love reading and then my accelerated English class in my sophomore year of high school killed that with A Passage to India and Jane Eyre in one semester.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

silvergoose posted:

Anyone else made to read The Education of Little Tree?

It remains the absolute worst book I have ever read. Tells the autobiographical story of a cherokee descendant spending time with his grandparents...

except it was actually written by a white KKK segregationist shithead, and despite that, was still on Oprah's recommendations when I was in school, and in fact for years after that came to light

I am still so loving mad I read that book.

I had buried that book deep in some memory hole, but my intense dislike came roaring back in a second.

I mainly remember how it plods along until very suddenly everyone around the kid dies at the end, including the dogs, for miscellaneous reasons.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Hrist posted:

In high school we had an English class were we had to read Dracula, and at some point Frankenstein. And later the teacher had us watch the old Universal movies. But also Dracula, Dead and Loving It. The only movie I ever walked out of at the theaters as a kid. I don't remember a single word about either book. But I recently bought a really cool looking hard cover printing of Dracula from 2011. It's really hard to find a cover that isn't just ugly as hell, or weirdly sexual. I mostly only read horror stuff, and I felt weird not having a copy of that in there somewhere. So I'm excited to see if I actually like it or not.

Frankenstein is loving phenomenal! Like, I really enjoy Gothic literature in general, but Mary Shelley is by far the best writer in the genre. Also, arguably, the first science fiction novel. Dracula is fun and enjoyable, but not as good as Frankenstein.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

The Giver was such a trip for my grade 6 mind. The moment when he realizes everyone is colorblind was a watershed moment for me as a reader. I refused to watch the movie when it came out a few years ago because of that scene. How could you possibly translate that into a visual medium and keep the impact? Still haven’t watched it.

Book ruled though.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Never had to read The Giver. It was normally read in my sixth grade class but we read Timothy of the Cays that year instead. Which was pretty good.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I remember reading either for class or summer reading:
The Red Badge of Courage
Where the Red Fern Grows
Hatchet
The Giver
Of Mice and Men
Flowers for Algernon
Lord of the Flies
Secret of NIMH
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Maniac Magee - was the shocker for some of y'all that he was homeless?

I read a lot of books.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 14, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Enfys posted:

I had buried that book deep in some memory hole, but my intense dislike came roaring back in a second.

I mainly remember how it plods along until very suddenly everyone around the kid dies at the end, including the dogs, for miscellaneous reasons.

Phew it wasn't just me. I will never stop bringing it up, it was such a horrible thing to make people read for so many reasons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For my high school senior year AP English class, we had to read The Great Gatsby the summer beforehand. I put it off until the last week or so of break because I was dreading it so much, and I think I ended up getting so engrossed that I read the whole book in one setting.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I (just me) was assigned a Wizard of Earthsea in like 6th grade English. s/o to that teacher.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I read the stuff on the general list even though we didn't have to read them all and I also stole the AP lit book from the classroom while I was still in middleschool because it was a huge book with like several novellas and short stories in it and I was like aight that rules lol.

I was freak, loved to read and even loved reading all the stuffy poo poo everyone always complains about. Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry was p baller. We had a English teacher for seventh grade who had been a literal Black Panther and he loving ruled, all his curriculum was literally just books about and surrounding black people, I went to an art school though so that poo poo wouldn't have happened elsewhere, probably would have went down real bad nowadays with the wack rear end CRT conspiracy theory bullshit.

I think the book I hated the most was A Scarlet Letter because it was just agonizing, I also remember Island of the Blue Dolphins boring the sin out of me.

Some stuff I really enjoyed was reading The Dubliners as part of curriculum, that started my love for Joyce, I also really liked Kindred quite a bit (it should be obvious who assigned that book).

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jordan7hm posted:

We had to read a ton of Shakespeare, minimum of one comedy and one drama every year for all five years of high school. I hated Shakespeare, other than Julius Caesar, and it wasn’t until after high school that I appreciated the plays. That was a common theme -in particular I remember being surprised by how much I liked Great Gatsby when I read it at like 20 compared to being forced to read it at 15.

I don’t remember anything particularly great from our reading lists. They were extremely white, extremely British (with a bit of cancon and the rare American) and extremely male. I did read a bunch of existentialist lit in French class which holds up real good.

I took Shakespearean Studies in highschool and I didn't give a poo poo about Shakespeare before but that class made me realize how much it rules, we went through Hamlet and A Midsummer Night's Dream basically line by line, and our teacher deconstructed all of it and gave us a lot of insight into how the plays were performed back in the day and for who. She really removed the dumbass haughty mystique from it and introduced us to the ribald and goofy rear end reality of it all. Titus Andronicus is straight up one of the dumbest things I've ever read and it's awesome.

Oh and I was the only boy in the class and like half the girls had crushes on me.

That class loving owned.