Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

The first time I was hit with the futuristic hovercraft bomb in the 1990's, my mind was forever changed. I was constantly sidetracked, daydreaming about these amazing vehicles, and that one day far in the future 10 years from now, I'd be hovering 350 MPH down the highway!

When I laid my eyes on F-Zero, my mind quickly devolved into mush thinking ONLY about this game which I never owned. As a result, it gave me permanent brain damage and ADHD.

Next came a Christmas gift from my family. Streex - The futuristic racing cars that you launch by slamming your fist down on a pump, which you can crash into a tower of Jenga blocks. I couldn't wait for the future!

Then my friend showed me Hover Race, which looked like rear end, but was sort of cool because it was kind of 3D? And you could race using your phone and computer?? Woah. :monocle:

Near the back of my magazine subscription was this ad that astounded me. The possibility that I could be hovering down my street (or school!) giving thumbs up :c00l: as I drove by.. but my parents were not so keen on that prospect since they didn't have an extra vacuum cleaner to give me. If only they knew how this would benefit them; hovering like an F-Zero car to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
My hovercraft is full of eels!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nobody ever built that drat hovercar ever

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I got this Bespin from Taco Bell and it hovered holy poo poo

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

F-Zero was great

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Fartington Butts posted:

I got this Bespin from Taco Bell and it hovered holy poo poo

That's pretty rad. I had a Streex from a McDonald's Happy Meal. Much cheaper looking, but still cool.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I could never figure out what the garbage outside of the track was in F Zero and why it killed you. Like why can't I just hover over it all?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i always liked the Wipeout style of racing hovercars. you can picture it as being a kind of future F1

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Who do I have to sick for the gasoline?

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

Devils Affricate posted:

I could never figure out what the garbage outside of the track was in F Zero and why it killed you. Like why can't I just hover over it all?

I always thought it was like, a city far below??? A future city, that is far below

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Devils Affricate posted:

Outside the track is a big drop, but that may not be obvious since it's all on one layer, and with today's displays it makes that even more apparent. Mute City has the city outside the track with vehicles whizzing by on streets.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i always liked the Wipeout style of racing hovercars. you can picture it as being a kind of future F1

Darn it, I meant to post that as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMzCpy0fXc

Designers Republic, etc etc.

This is 27 years old now :gonk:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

cinnamon rollout posted:

I always thought it was like, a city far below??? A future city, that is far below

Good Sphere posted:

Outside the track is a big drop, but that may not be obvious since it's all on one layer, and with today's displays it makes that even more apparent. Mute City has the city outside the track with vehicles whizzing by on streets.

Yeah that's the problem, it was all done with SNES's mode 7 so it just looked like a flat surface. I figured maybe it's supposed to represent a city way below an elevated track, but the game's graphics didn't convey that at all. On one hand I'm thinking maybe it looks like that because that's the best they could do with the available technology, but on the other hand it does such a bad job of it that you'd think they would have just ditched the idea of trying to portray such a thing. It would be like trying to make a technical schematic with water colors. Just paint something else.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I forgot all about streex!! That stuff was rad.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i had a Typhoon remote-control hovercraft toy as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vtvb2ZJzC0

it took one of those big ni-cad battery packs that was basically half a dozen AA batteries wrapped together in plastic and the battery took forever to charge and the battery life sucked rear end and it was loud as hell so i didn't wind up playing with it all that much

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it also didn't move nearly as fast as shown in that commercial lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Regarding the F-Zero track in the OP the black areas with thousands of dots are the spectator stands and there’s a city on the skyline. My memory from thirty years ago is telling me that it’s mentioned in the manual but it’s entirely possible I’m making that up.

E: I was wrong, but the races are above the city and the barriers are anti-gravity fields which is why you can’t go over them.

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 5, 2023

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Uhhh....I think I have an idea for a great goon project...

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you can make your own hover device using common household items

first get a disc with a hole in the middle of it like an lp or a cd

then get a tread bobbin

glue the bobbin to the disc so the the hole in the bobbin lines up with the hole in the disc

inflate a balloon

slide the inflated balloon over the bobbin (while keeping it crimped or twisted so that is doesn't deflate)

uncrimp your balloon

marvel at the hover m a g i c

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hoverin boffa over ops mouth

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

gently caress yeah what would eventually be directx

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Uhhh....I think I have an idea for a great goon project...

It says there's a 200 pound limit.:smugbert:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Animal-Mother posted:

Just glue 3 of them together...

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

It's better to suck the car down using a fan to create a vacuum underneath, increasing downforce and better sticking the car to the driving surface, increasing traction.

Although it would not drive so well over a body of water or small rocks and leaves I suppose.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Blow posted:

It's better to suck the car down using a fan to create a vacuum underneath, increasing downforce and better sticking the car to the driving surface, increasing traction.

Dubious username/post combo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Blow posted:

Although it would not drive so well over a body of water or small rocks and leaves I suppose.

adjustable plexiglass skirts and a snowmobile motor providing suction

the 2D was way cooler looking (they are essentially the same car)

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 5, 2023

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bAAP6honY

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah that's the problem, it was all done with SNES's mode 7 so it just looked like a flat surface. I figured maybe it's supposed to represent a city way below an elevated track, but the game's graphics didn't convey that at all. On one hand I'm thinking maybe it looks like that because that's the best they could do with the available technology, but on the other hand it does such a bad job of it that you'd think they would have just ditched the idea of trying to portray such a thing. It would be like trying to make a technical schematic with water colors. Just paint something else.

It's either the non-pixel-perfect display that hides this, or my imagination as a kid. I was not predisposed to technological limitations, and I saw a shadow over the city, so it looked raised enough to me. This added to the fact it was displayed on a CRT. (which is no bad thing.. I love CRTs)

MrQwerty posted:

gently caress yeah what would eventually be directx

Cool I did not know that.

Modulo16 posted:

I forgot all about streex!! That stuff was rad.

It owned bones. I think I may just get some off ebay because I'm still a literal child at 40.

Animal-Mother posted:

Beat me to it.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just glue 3 of them together...

lol

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i had a Typhoon remote-control hovercraft toy as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vtvb2ZJzC0

it took one of those big ni-cad battery packs that was basically half a dozen AA batteries wrapped together in plastic and the battery took forever to charge and the battery life sucked rear end and it was loud as hell so i didn't wind up playing with it all that much

That was like The Rattler, which had 10 wheels. Me and a friend both had one. It ran for maybe a good 10-20 minutes. Still fun while it lasted.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Regarding the F-Zero track in the OP the black areas with thousands of dots are the spectator stands and there’s a city on the skyline. My memory from thirty years ago is telling me that it’s mentioned in the manual but it’s entirely possible I’m making that up.

E: I was wrong, but the races are above the city and the barriers are anti-gravity fields which is why you can’t go over them.

Neat, I didn't know there was like a defined world or anything. Also Lol at thinking it would take until the 2500s for multi-billionaires to be a viable rich guy

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My car is hyper-on you racist rear end in a top hat.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But thanks for telling everyone how you, a loving idiot, would try to build a car like mine if you used all the brains in your little rat skull.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hover loving owned. Were the graphics really THAT terrible? :corsair:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hover loving owned. Were the graphics really THAT terrible? :corsair:

Yes the graphics were really weird and unfitting for a such a game, but this was also PC gaming in the 90s. So checkerboard roads and ancient buildings were okay I guess?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Good Sphere posted:

Then my friend showed me Hover Race, which looked like rear end, but was sort of cool because it was kind of 3D? And you could race using your phone and computer?? Woah. :monocle:

Holy poo poo, I've been wondering what this game was for years now. They used to have it as a display game in the electronics department of a regular wal-mart

Good Sphere posted:

Near the back of my magazine subscription was this ad that astounded me. The possibility that I could be hovering down my street (or school!) giving thumbs up :c00l: as I drove by.. but my parents were not so keen on that prospect since they didn't have an extra vacuum cleaner to give me. If only they knew how this would benefit them; hovering like an F-Zero car to work.

It was boys life. You can just say boys life

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was boys life. You can just say boys life

You are correct. I did get the x-ray glasses. It was a letdown they were made out of cardboard, but to my surprise, they did work! I could see people’s spooky skeletons. And all took was a feather in the lens.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I bought Balistic NG and it's like the PS1 Wipeout games.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People don’t build cars anymore in modern times. You just suck your daddys dick and go down to the Mercedes dealer.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G9YoHqU-K0

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
We were on a beach in the ‘90s and a hovercraft arrived. It just pulled up on the beach with the kids swimming around near it.

A promo crew jumped out and gave us some kicking rad stuff. And then they went away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Nobody ever built that drat hovercar ever

Of course not. Now excuse me as I fly off to work in my homemade helicopter powered by a lawnmower engine.