Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

I tried to grab a falling piece of rebar that was bright orange and it like instantly blanched and numbers my fingers and felt kinda like butter sliding through my hand.

jesus christ dude.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wouldn’t trade all the vicious maiming for the world.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wormskull posted:

If you draw or whatever it’s considered crafting, musicians are bards of course, and any other creative endeavor. But I don’t want to read about cooking in this thread. I can’t afford to get hungry atm.

May I post some of the dark souls dioramas I made?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Yea man. It’s a crafting thread.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Make sure it includes hot tips for newbies to the series such as where to find every good gun and what stats are trash.

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018

Spanish Manlove posted:

May I post some of the dark souls dioramas I made?

Do it. I love dioramas.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wormskull posted:

Yea man. It’s a crafting thread.

I can't find the pictures of the dark souls dioramas on my phone right now but here's a little diorama I scratch built for a painting contest at my local game store last month. Won $15 for a net of $5 on it. The theme was "whimsical" and you pick a model from the reaper miniatures to paint up. I saw Stumpy Dan McGinty and the Grog Hog in the same pack and ran with a little tavern scene. Dan was the only part that was judged so the rest of the diorama was just for fun. Dan got some high effort with textures on the apron and some gradients on the hat. Concept art Link was the inspiration for the color scheme.

Popsicle sticks were cut up into floor boards with little cutouts for the bases so they would sit flush. A bar was made from foam and then mugs from a cut up ballpoint pen and plastic rod, and a coat hook made out of paper clips. The tray for the mugs was an upside down 25mm base with a circular plastic inset glued in to make the bottom flat.

It's fun to make these things. You can also use them for tabletop games as now I have a whole DND party thanks to participating in the contests at the LGS for high effort practice.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 6, 2023

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
crafting ftw. wish i lived in a house instead of an apt cuz smithing seems so sick

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Found one, it's Artorias vs a Knight

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also I need to get my friend to take pictures of things for me again because he's way better than I am at it

Becomes

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

those are cool as hell

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I can't find the pictures of the dark souls dioramas on my phone right now but here's a little diorama I scratch built for a painting contest at my local game store last month. Won $15 for a net of $5 on it. The theme was "whimsical" and you pick a model from the reaper miniatures to paint up. I saw Stumpy Dan McGinty and the Grog Hog in the same pack and ran with a little tavern scene. Dan was the only part that was judged so the rest of the diorama was just for fun. Dan got some high effort with textures on the apron and some gradients on the hat. Concept art Link was the inspiration for the color scheme.

Popsicle sticks were cut up into floor boards with little cutouts for the bases so they would sit flush. A bar was made from foam and then mugs from a cut up ballpoint pen and plastic rod, and a coat hook made out of paper clips. The tray for the mugs was an upside down 25mm base with a circular plastic inset glued in to make the bottom flat.

It's fun to make these things. You can also use them for tabletop games as now I have a whole DND party thanks to participating in the contests at the LGS for high effort practice.

Awesome job!

herculon posted:

those are cool as hell

This

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

herculon posted:

those are cool as hell

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love this.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lol sweet fog door. Nice poo poo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

those look sick

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I tried painting some cotton for the fog door and I quickly realized that cotton looks really dark when it's wet so the first attempt looked like poo poo so I just didn't paint it for the final version

The fog door was made by jamming bamboo skewers into there and then gluing plasticard to make a solid surface then gluing torn up cotton balls inside.

The leaves for the ivy were the most fun of the whole thing. They were all done by watering down paint and then dripping it onto a coffee filter, then once that dried I used a hole punch that I borrowed from my 4yo niece that made little leaf shapes. After making a bunch of confetti it was glued to floral wire on the wall.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

I tried painting some cotton for the fog door and I quickly realized that cotton looks really dark when it's wet so the first attempt looked like poo poo so I just didn't paint it for the final version

The fog door was made by jamming bamboo skewers into there and then gluing plasticard to make a solid surface then gluing torn up cotton balls inside.

The leaves for the ivy were the most fun of the whole thing. They were all done by watering down paint and then dripping it onto a coffee filter, then once that dried I used a hole punch that I borrowed from my 4yo niece that made little leaf shapes. After making a bunch of confetti it was glued to floral wire on the wall.

thats so fuckin cool lmao, it looks awesome

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

herculon posted:

those are cool as hell

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My first Training forge was this wooden box filled with dirt and bricks with a hair dryer and charcoal:

Then I turned the box into a better forge with the bottom of a barrel and a 6 inch blower and eventually put a roof over it with the top of a barrel and a big rear end ventilation duct as a chimney (additions not pictured) and I used coal in it mostly. Coal smoke is both extremely epic and also really embarrassing lmfao:

And now since coal is expensive and can be a tremendous fire hazard when you live under a huge tree and work beneath a tarp and I needed a better forge for tool and knife making I use this propane one called Mr Volcano:

I want to make another coal/probably more likely charcoal forge someday when I learn to weld, with the top of an oxy canister for a firebox (didn’t have a deep enough one on the first forge) but I’ll do that when I’ve made the tools I need to make bigger projects. I’d like to buy an old school riveting forge someday also but I want a better anvil first.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Rofl at the hair dryer controlled by a foot switch for the bellows

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

a bigass dog to guard the forge is a must

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Making things is cool. More people should make things.

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018

Well hello there.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol can’t decide if I like the pig or artorias more

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Cousin Foomin posted:

Well hello there.

That’s Tarra. She kept making GBS threads next to my anvil.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

loling at the little Fisher Price anvil. Sick setup though!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Do not buy a cast iron anvil. Use a hardwood stump or something instead. Wormskull tip of the day.

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018

Wormskull posted:

That’s Tarra. She kept making GBS threads next to my anvil.

Everyones a critic.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Apparently you can order 100+ lb anvils on Amazon with free prime shipping. I learned this while trying to find a Christmas gift for me brother in law and thought it would be funny to get the heaviest thing I could but I didn't want to spend $400 on a joke so I bought him a crowbar instead and wrapped it without a box so it had a clear silhouette of a crowbar

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Apparently you can order 100+ lb anvils on Amazon with free prime shipping. I learned this while trying to find a Christmas gift for me brother in law and thought it would be funny to get the heaviest thing I could but I didn't want to spend $400 on a joke so I bought him a crowbar instead and wrapped it without a box so it had a clear silhouette of a crowbar

I haven’t found one on there that I trust not to be made of the same poo poo as my toy anvil or I woulda impulse bought it already lol.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I dropped a tiny ball bearing on my anvil from 1 foot and it left a gnarly dent in the fricken face. Get real, harbor freight. Do not buy a non-steel anvil for the love of God folks.

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018

Spanish Manlove posted:

My brother brought a machete to the family (bunch of rednecks) white elephant one year for Christmas and it got so rowdy we cancelled white elephant for like 3 years.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Cousin Foomin posted:

My brother brought a machete to the family (bunch of rednecks) white elephant one year for Christmas and it got so rowdy we cancelled white elephant for like 3 years.

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cousin Foomin posted:

lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cousin Foomin posted:

Lmao

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Cousin Foomin posted:

Lol cool

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cousin Foomin posted:

lool

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Cousin Foomin posted:

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This.