Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Be happy with any creative hobby and be proud of what you make. Post pictures, talk shop, learn new things. Even if you're a noob we all get that people start somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

borgnar posted:

last summer i smelted some iron by accident

one of the things about using a sandbox for a forge is the sand turns to glass everytime you run it. this ain't a big deal, you just have to pull the big half-melted chunks of glass out and dig the firepot back out and you're good to go. one thing you can do to prevent that from happening as much is mixing ash in with the sand, so i'll regularly stir the coal ash around with the sand to get it homogeneous. i was doing this one morning ahead of lighting up for the day and i hit something weird right underneath the air pipe. it was a lump of something that wasn't clinker, what in the hell is this, it's really heavy, this definitely isn't clinker. wait, why is it sticking a magnet? oh gently caress, i made iron!

after thinking about it a little, i figured out what happened. the sand i used to fill up the forge is black, which i didn't think anything of when i bought it. but that poo poo is black because there's a whole lot of iron oxide in it, and the conditions directly underneath the air supply were perfect for the iron oxide to reduce and then melt together into a pretty drat good iron bloom, very pure. so i spent a couple hours flattening it out and folding and welding it, and i got a little chunk of iron i made myself, by accident, out of sand

this summer i plan to build a full size bloomery furnace and make enough iron to really do something with

Hell yeah. You ever think about doing the Gingery series and make your own metal shop? https://www.amazon.com/Build-Metal-...=aufs_ap_sc_dsk

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
that book is awesome. i've never done anything with it, but it would be fun as hell to follow it

that's something i'm gonna have to do when i have my own workshop though. i live in an apartment so my forge is set up at a buddy's place who owns some land, that's a way more involved project than i'd want to do at somebody else's place

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I feel like a huge pussy for buying a telescope now.

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I feel like a huge pussy for buying a telescope now.

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Got a ton of inspiraysh for my next day off in the Forge (this must be said Wesley Willis style). Hope I got the energy for a 12 hour sesh.

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

Wormskull posted:

Got a ton of inspiraysh for my next day off in the Forge (this must be said Wesley Willis style). Hope I got the energy for a 12 hour sesh.

drat, twelve hours is heavy

tell me about your hammers

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

All I got is a 2.5lb hammer but I have a ton of axle and gearshaft and other automotive steel so I'm thinking I might try to make a hand sledge, a set hammer and a flatter.

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
axle would be some good steel to make hammers out of. medium carbon, not too hard, not too soft. i have this stout bar of wrought iron from god knows when/where that i eventually wanna use to make a viking style iron hammer with welded steel faces

one thing i can recommend re: hammers is getting that 3lb sledge from harbor freight and using an angle grinder to hog off a bunch of material so it's a little lighter, then putting a dome on one of the faces to make a rounding hammer

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Yea I want a ball peen or something and might do that. I want like a 5 pound hammer because I don’t see myself owning a power hammer for a few years and a lot of my stock is at least an inch thick. Btw 1 1/2 steel looks so cool when it’s orange lol. It’s like holding a legendary Diablo mace.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Do you know where to even find wrought iron. I wanna use some but every steel factory big or small around here the best they offer is an alloy that’s “like” wrought iron.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The books say all the wrought iron in the US disappeared to wars but that info is 50 years old and who knows lol.

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
yeah it is fuckin difficult to come by these days, unless you know a guy or you're willing to make your own. i got lucky, my folks' next door neighbor when i was growing up spent sixty years collecting stuff at estate sales, and when i first got started he gave me two anvils (one usable hundredweight peter wright that someone knocked the horn off, gently caress knows how long ago, and another one that's so hosed up it's only really good for scrap) and a bunch of old stuff that i later learned was made out of wrought

if you don't have connections, your best bet is to look for old wagon wheel tires at antique stores and such. they will be expensive, but it's pretty much the only source i know of. there used to be a place in the UK that was making new stuff, but i don't know if they're still in operation, and shipping to the states was astronomical. if you're really lucky you might find some old ship anchor chain, but that's not something you can count on either

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh yea I’m hosed probably unless I wanna search Inland Florida for rich failsons who have come into possession of a barn. Wrought is the one you can just weld with no flux and stuff right. Probably sucks to make it yourself and I don’t got that kind of space… ah well.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

God it would be so cool to own a 300 pound ancient German or British anvil that’s the shape of an upside down bowling pin.

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
i haven't made my own iron yet (yet) besides that little chunk i posted about earlier, but i've done a lot of reading and youtubing on it in preparation for giving it a shot and the main thing is that it's a lot of hours in front of a very hot fire, and you need a shitload of charcoal to do it, like 5lbs of the stuff for each pound of bloom you want to end up with. it's a shame the stuff is so hard to get your hands on, mild steel is metallurgically superior in every way, except maybe for rust resistance, but wrought is fuckin interesting. like you say you don't need flux to weld it. since the iron never melts all the way in a bloomery furnace you end up with a lot of silicon still in the finished metal, which as you cut and fold the bloom gets distributed into distinct layers. an interesting consequence of this is you have to forge it real hot compared to mild steel, basically at welding heat, or else the layers start to delaminate and split from each other. no big deal since it's basically trivial to weld it back together, but it's definitely something you need to get used to. etch it in some acid and you get this really cool woodgrain looking pattern, it's just very neat stuff i wish was easier to find. it sucks that so much of it got scrapped to turn into tank and ship hulls with which to slay the dastardly hun (this is also where all the old anvils went)

i also wanna try making some wootz sometime. years ago my wife got me a book that's translations of some treatises on the subject from like the 13th through 17th centuries, with a bunch of modern commentary from metallurgists. crucible steel is another thing that's fuckin' cool as hell but you can't get it without making it yourself because the technology superseded it long, long before i was born

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Do you got a fancy country flux recipe. I read about stuff made of borax and iron filings and I have a DIY belt grinder I bought for fifty bucks so I’m thinking I might save the stuff.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

Wormskull posted:

Do you got a fancy country flux recipe. I read about stuff made of borax and iron filings and I have a DIY belt grinder I bought for fifty bucks so I’m thinking I might save the stuff.

yeah they say putting some iron in with your borax makes it easier to weld but i've tried it a couple times and haven't really noticed a difference. i'm not very good at forge welding though, so it might be on my end. i say give it a shot if you already have the grinder dust, just make sure you separate the good stuff out with a magnet so you're not putting abrasive dust in your clean weld surfaces

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Yea ATM it’s also full of cedar dust from the kitchen knife I made.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i found out theres some guy sculpted hieronymous bosch resin miniatures

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2004599158/hieronymus-bosch-tabletop-miniatures

time to learn to paint miniatures folks and start iwth something really hard and give up immediately, then sniff the glue and paint instead. and do food hacks like making squid ramon nacho cheese deep frted burritos instead

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

i found out theres some guy sculpted hieronymous bosch resin miniatures

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2004599158/hieronymus-bosch-tabletop-miniatures

time to learn to paint miniatures folks and start iwth something really hard and give up immediately, then sniff the glue and paint instead. and do food hacks like making squid ramon nacho cheese deep frted burritos instead

This is hype. I love sticking my head over the vent when I’m heating galvanized steel.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Those Bosch guys don't look all that difficult, you can totally learn to paint on them

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hieronynamongus.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

Other than woodwork my main crafty thing is moonshinin'

I stick to fruit brandies and aquavit since they're harder to come by and I can make stuff better than store bought at this point. I age 'em in little oak barrels in my cellar and when a batch gets good I share with with bartenders around town so now I get free shots all the time and never have to wait for a drink it's awesome

lol the craft of my forebears

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Found one, it's Artorias vs a Knight

Spanish Manlove posted:

The face on the sun was done with a very fine tip brush and black ink mixed with black paint. Base was kind of an afterthought because I was happy enough with the sun and the tabard. Gave this one to a friend for her birthday

This was actually a test model for some fancy metallic paints I wanted to try out from Vallejo. The base was a last minute "sure whatever" idea where I mixed a bunch of green powder stuff from a children's school diorama kit and some thinned pva glue into a slurry and then put yellow foam pieces on top to look like flowers. That's a weird recipe I came up with when trying to make moss one time and couldn't get the powder to stick to a surface so I thought it might work better if I mixed glue into it then applied it to the surface. It's the same idea used in places on the Artorias diorama.

The cheapest way to get a bunch of swords was a pack of plastic skewers that were cut up to make them look a little different than each other, and then different kinds of oxidation colors. I had to make the rock in the middle a lot taller so that was just the pink xps foam that you can get a square meter for $5 at home depot. The wolf was mostly painted using makeup brushes to build up a gradient. Since then I figured out a more convincing fur recipe where you blend wet paint together on the undercoat then use the makeup brush for the overcoat.

sick and lol @ the cocktail swords

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Wormskull posted:

My first Training forge was this wooden box filled with dirt and bricks with a hair dryer and charcoal:

Then I turned the box into a better forge with the bottom of a barrel and a 6 inch blower and eventually put a roof over it with the top of a barrel and a big rear end ventilation duct as a chimney (additions not pictured) and I used coal in it mostly. Coal smoke is both extremely epic and also really embarrassing lmfao:

And now since coal is expensive and can be a tremendous fire hazard when you live under a huge tree and work beneath a tarp and I needed a better forge for tool and knife making I use this propane one called Mr Volcano:

I want to make another coal/probably more likely charcoal forge someday when I learn to weld, with the top of an oxy canister for a firebox (didn’t have a deep enough one on the first forge) but I’ll do that when I’ve made the tools I need to make bigger projects. I’d like to buy an old school riveting forge someday also but I want a better anvil first.

forgehound ftw

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My cutoff hardy was a success but I kept hitting it with my hammer so I have to reforge it lol.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

My cutoff hardy was a success but I kept hitting it with my hammer so I have to reforge it lol.

lol, pic?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Maybe when I get home.

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
that sucks when that happens, rest assured you ain't alone

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I didn’t take a picture cuz it’s too dark but maybe I’ll make a video of me cutting an axle or something on Saturday.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I filed off the parts I dented and the dent and filing told me I didn’t heat treat it right anyway so I gotta gently caress with it anyway… maybe I’ll film that too.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAg04rKNZE
I reforged better shoulders onto this and I think did a much better heat treat but the shank is still kinda hosed so I’m gonna make a better one when I can cut through the 1 1/2 inch axle I have lol, but here’s me cutting off something I was making for my dad’s business card holder. For fungah.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Cool! I’m sure your dad Fungah will love it

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Another monomania stupid thing I have done: bought The Green Hell or the Forest because I saw it had a Mud Forge in it lmfao and I was intrigued. I think I bought 2 other games based on seeing a forge in them.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAg04rKNZE
I reforged better shoulders onto this and I think did a much better heat treat but the shank is still kinda hosed so I’m gonna make a better one when I can cut through the 1 1/2 inch axle I have lol, but here’s me cutting off something I was making for my dad’s business card holder. For fungah.

lol cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

long fuckin way to go but this was insanely vool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also i burned my hnd rasping the end and my instructor looked at me and said "that's what people smell like" and laughed like a hyena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fungah! posted:

also i burned my hnd rasping the end and my instructor looked at me and said "that's what people smell like" and laughed like a hyena

lmfao