Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sure, go for the money.

Mechanics tips:

Units can't walk over filled trenches and will derp out their pathing. You have to command them into trenches 1-2 units at a time and move the ones in the front first to make room for the guys behind.
Suppressed units cannot fire at all during their suppression, and light artillery has a massive supression range. You can tell which units are suppressed by the little crossed circle on them. The supression range is actually wider than what is shown with the artillery targeting symbol.
Trenches exist in a magical dimension that cannot be shot at by infantry even if the infantry is right next to a trench. Melee only, 2 units at a time for each side per trench, maximum. Effectively, numbers advantage offers a quadratic benefit in the open, and only a linear one in the trenches.
Units will automatically switch to skirmish formation when they're being shot at, but advance far more rapidly in marching formation. Large assaults will reach enemy trenches faster in marching formation.
Best use of heavy artillery is when it's pulling double duty is a suppression tool that also damages infantry in second line trenches that you can reach with infantry via other trenches from the first enemy line. On the defense, it's also very deadly against enemies out in the open if they blob up. Outside of this niche, it is generally inferior to light artillery.

Tip for people playing at home:

Unfortunately, this is a very micro heavy game. Pause a lot. Your general strategy isn't anywhere near as relevant as your ability to properly direct your units into trenches and aim your light artillery to supress as many enemies as possible.

Only for those who want to break the game, don't read if you want to enjoy the game as a WW1 simulator.

Low tech fights are much easier and more dynamic than high tech fights, and you want to win the game with rapid storming of trenches before tanks and aircraft turn every fight into a massive slog that doesn't go anywhere.
Enemy machine guns are pretty much useless if you have enough light artillery. They'll never fire a shot before you get into the trenches, where they can't harm you at all, but your infantry can grenade them easily.
Communication trenches are the devil. Never build them to connect your trenches, especially not to connect front trenches with the back trenches. When the enemy attacks, they're almost guaranteed to take the first line of trenches, and you want them to have to run out into the open to reach the second line. If you need to start retaking the first line, you can simply send your forces in from the side where the enemy can't shoot you from.
If you only defend your command trench, the enemy will try to take your control points even when you're on the offensive. You can use this to ambush them, just make sure not to have any trenches near your undefended command points. You can supress the swarm of enemy infantry that shows up with light artillery and mow them down with your own unsupressed infantry. You don't need trenches for that. Or, you can let them stay there or let them suicide into your main defences, while being free to use a much larger force to push into their own control points elsewhere. You can easily retake your own lost points at some later time.
The quickest way to win the game is to pinch large chunks of the enemy teritory. The penalties for being surrounded are brutal, you can't do anything with the surrounded units and the provinces surrounded lose a star every turn and are automatically taken once they run out. There's a few spots on the map where you're reasonably close to the edge, which is for all intents and purposes impassable for supplies, even if there's a lot more France behind it IRL.
A pair of adjacent doomstacks with heavy air support alternating attacks on the same tiles are the best way to push forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013

I have yet to observe the AI trying to assault along your communication trenches. Neither are they willing to move laterally when they have managed to penetrate your forward trenches. It prefers to go 'over the top' again. The usual target seems to be a forward-bulge in your forward trenchline. I keep my communication-trenches well apart and avoid situations where you can bypass several lines of trenches. Up till now, no assault managed a deeper penetration.
keep your trenches at least two lines of triangles apart, this prevents two trenchlines being struck by a single barrage, conversely, if you see this being done by the AI, break out your Gas-shells.
In regards of chemical warfare: combine gas on the trenches with shells targeted slightly back to strike troops being driven out.
Your MGs should never go on your forward lines, there they are vulnerable to assault. instead place them on the second line, the reach is far enough to reach an assault on your first line, especially if you keep your wire on the outer edge of your MG-envelope.
In the late-game, heavy artillery is king. It can kill dug-in infantry, deliver gas, destroy support weapons and kill tanks. Massive and concentrated fires work best, followed up immediately by infantry before reserves move into the fight. Isolate your designated assault-area with gas, laterally and in depth, fire HE in your designated breaching-area.

Once you have 'recast shells', siege artillery is your friend, use obscene amounts of it to degrade your enemies fortifications and smash targets beyond the reach of your field artillery. If you can hit two or three occupied trenches at once, it is worth the cost.

Does anybody notice that I really like gas-shells? because I really like using gas.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Kodos666 posted:

Does anybody notice that I really like gas-shells? because I really like using gas.

Were you a monster before, or did the game make you into one?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Go for more money, and hold the line for the moment.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

Kodos666 posted:

In my experience, the opportunity cost of using gas shells is way too high for them to be cost-effective most of the time. They require significant tech and massive supply investment, and can be completely mitigated by other tech, forcing you to invest even more of our precious limited research points to make sure your existing investment doesn't go completely to waste. In the right circumstances however, they can be very useful - if you hold the first enemy trench line, then you can force the enemy to leave the rest and get shot to pieces by your infantry - much more supply-efficient than using artillery alone to do the killing, though probably still less than throwing more men into the meatgrinder which is my preferred option. Still, they are not very useful overall in my opinion, and a poor investment of our limited wartime resources which would be better spent on other ways to eliminate enemy forces as efficiently as possible.

Grey Hunter posted:

Were you a monster before, or did the game make you into one?
Er, that is, I mean, chemical weapons are a war crime. Something, something, needless human suffering. They are bad and we shouldn't use them. Yep.

Anyway, invest in more funds, it will add up a lot over time if you pick it up early.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

"They sent all these men into attacking Y."

Indeed, the men were asking the same thing.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The allies are hammering at my lines! This video is a series of desperate defences at several points!

So, I need more supply to defend better - but how am I best doing that with my 2 research points.

200 more gold a turn would be great.

But maybe we need more troops?

We could also make the troops we have better at fighting with some improved sights.

Giving them more grenades is also an option!

If we’re on the defensive, maybe better trenches and machine guns?

Is better artillery the answer to our problems?

Who knows! All I know is I need more supply!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

More money. The earlier we get those the bigger the benefit, seems like.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
I think the reason why you couldn't deploy artillery in the pre-deploy step against the Peronne attack was because arty, unlike MG posts or obs balloons, counts as a "unit" against the 30-unit cap. So you boxing all trenches up with 30 rifle companies in the pre-deploy means you had no cap available for the arty.

And you need better trenches and more corps to fill the line, there's enemy concentrations of force that you don't seem to have the mass to properly hold against in several places. And while you need better MGs to even the edge a bit, apparently you need Trench Engineering first.

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 11, 2023

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Allies continue to slam into my lines, and my tactics improve - until they don't.......

Then I spend my research forgetting to ask you guys!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

The Allies continue to slam into my lines, and my tactics improve - until they don't.......

Then I spend my research forgetting to ask you guys!

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 13, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

counterattack!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I try some different tactics to try and bleed some of the Allied coffers to slow their attacks on my lines!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I try some counter attacks to slow the allies - with early world war I, with mixed success! I’m not sure where the Allies are getting their money for these assaults, but I feel like it has to start running out soon!

Let’s take a look at research!

Better grenades, more boose and a hospital tent for when the two are mixed.

We could concentrate on air wings, trying to get that mission completed.

We still don’t even have basic intel!

These all look amazing, but are expensive.

We could always improve our artillery!

Or we could go all in on our plans to hold the line

What do you think?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's never too soon to start warcriming, gas shells.
Also keep an eye on the renowned chemist Fritz Haber, he'll get you something better than teargas in no time!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Volunteers

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Bust out some of those gas shells.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Intel

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Gas. Like I'm gonna say something different.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

not clear on what good aircraft are, since your first researched thing didn't really give you anything? But achieving objectives is good, so I'll vote for the bombers

also mayyybe don't order your reinforcements onto the map all in one spot? They're getting obliterated by artillery while you're busy. Could spread the boys out a bit?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

One thing I'm noticing is that your light artillery doesn't seem to be helping you all that much in the defensive. Their guns suppress you so effectively you can't exploit the suppression from your own guns.

Meanwhile, in that sweep victory, you dropped heavy arty on the mass waves, and that looked to be incredibly effective at shattering their assault.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My tactics continue to evolve, though I need more money!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
I want to see more Planes.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Let's get some bombers!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think machine guns seem to work best on the secondary trenches, where they fire on the enemy as they're trying to take a front trench. The machine guns in the frontline trenches get taken out too fast, as the enemy spots them and drops arty on them immediately.

The gas seems to be very effective but too expensive to use so far.

I vote for more supplies! Whatever tech upgrades will help you not run out of supply halfway through the battle.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I thought that first battle was horribly one sided, but the third one was even worse. 32k losses between the two for no real gain, and inflicting such paltry casualties in return can't be sustainable.

The long-range interlocking-fire machine guns in the last battle seemed pretty nastily effective and hard to suppress. The things are effective at much longer ranges than I realized.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Actual WWI generals:

Gnoman posted:

I thought that first battle was horribly one sided, but the third one was even worse. 32k losses between the two for no real gain, and inflicting such paltry casualties in return can't be sustainable.

The long-range interlocking-fire machine guns in the last battle seemed pretty nastily effective and hard to suppress. The things are effective at much longer ranges than I realized.

Oh well, one more push. Over the top, boys!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A new patch has dropped, and we see planes above the skies for the first time in the war!
I'm also getting 2 RP a turn now, so some of those more expensive research options are within my grasp - Though I'm torn between wanting more money and cheaper structures and the flat 25% boost to my men!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Considering how close the trench fights are I would say 25% will be the most useful

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I vote improved sights and more money.

megane fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 21, 2023

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The line is beginning to look a lot more stable now, and I even try an attack. 

Research is becoming more viable now!

Over to you! we have four points at the moment.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Triage, Canteens, and Army Intel

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Beeline for Makeshift Filters

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Interrupter gear so you can win the air war

Edit

Wire Defenses as well. That way you can save your arty for offensive pushes since the wire will slow down the enemy

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 23, 2023

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Allies decide to make some attacks on a section of line staffed with Elite units.

This goes as well as you can expect!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
:catstare:

Gott im Himmel

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Surely there are gentler ways of fertilizing the good earth! :gibs:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
If you hadn't gone for attack the north sea, I would have yelled so hard at you.

Grey, you must sink the British Fleet dammit. Also, hell yes Jutland. That was a fun LP

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I think you could have pushed more in that assault, you had taken that trench and could have folded their lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
After you grab gas mask filters we need to put research into planes. The Entente is winning the air war.