Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Good god, that Rethel fight :stare:
EDIT: The first battle that is, what a page snipe

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I got the game due to the thread

Got to say, WWI simulator is pretty good,

And neglecting the air war is going to cost us majorly. one bomber properly dropped can devour an entire sections defenses

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

AtomikKrab posted:

I got the game due to the thread

Got to say, WWI simulator is pretty good,

And neglecting the air war is going to cost us majorly. one bomber properly dropped can devour an entire sections defenses

Yeah, they went from ineffectual in one battle to deadly in the next - so I'm going to push on that next I think! though maybe after gas masks!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Please post fatalities and casualties counts with every post, we need to see just how unfathomably horrendous this war gets.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Please post fatalities and casualties counts with every post, we need to see just how unfathomably horrendous this war gets.

It can get really bad

My greatest successes so far in the early game is to use 3 corps or more, do a very very light deployment of men to protect my artillery lines, and just pounding the german trenches until i'm out of supplies or they surrender. 3 heavy artillery barrages will clear out a basic trench and generally get you some decent results without being too TERRIBLE on your supplies. And bombers are fantastic at clearing out machine gun nests if the enemy doesn't have their own air assets to defend

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Today I get to play with siege artillery!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

One odd odd thing I have run into is how sometimes a battle ends with both sides gaining national will, even coming out ahead in supplies and money

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Seems like teargas is vastly overpriced for what it does and difficult to use effectively, since the debuffs are very temporary and morale apparently recovers soon after troops get out of the cloud?

The main draw seems to be that you can push defenders to surrender/retreat faster to force a breakthrough without needing to shove overwhelming doomstacks into the meatgrinder, and there's no lasting damage if you warcrime your own dudes slightly?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

silentsnack posted:

Seems like teargas is vastly overpriced for what it does and difficult to use effectively, since the debuffs are very temporary and morale apparently recovers soon after troops get out of the cloud?

The main draw seems to be that you can push defenders to surrender/retreat faster to force a breakthrough without needing to shove overwhelming doomstacks into the meatgrinder, and there's no lasting damage if you warcrime your own dudes slightly?

I suspect as Grey goes up the tech tree, the Gas becomes deadlier and more effective

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Important reminder: Mustard gas is NOT a food condiment and canisters should never be open without proper authorization and protective gear!

*Scrawled with a lump of coal beneath*
"I promise any idiot that get exposed has nothing to fear from the discipline officer, think about it."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Walking bombardments, gas and tanks make an appearance as the Allied step up their tech.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kind of feel like we need to rush toward some kind of anti-tank tech now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't worry about these new-fangled gizmos, elan will prevail

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Kind of feel like we need to rush toward some kind of anti-tank tech now.

I mean maybe? Grey's troops did take em out with grenades pretty handily

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The battlefield continues to be a brutal place as both sides go down different routes of the tech tree!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 1, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Video is Private

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Video is Private

Sorry, the upload had screwed up the audio, so I had to re-upload.

Try it now!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It works, but in 360p only. I'm guessing that's YT taking time to fully prepare it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Things continue on as the winter forces even more of a stalemate!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Luckily for an enterprising croctapus, winter offensives mean human popsicles!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gotta love that artillery 360 no scoping tanks.

It's interesting that tanks can fire at infantry in trenches (although at reduced damage). Grey's offensives keep being repelled by the AI flooding the area with infantry coming in through trenches, a tank or two could mow them down as they come.

E: I assume there isn't a "stay in the loving trenches you morons" setting for our pixeltruppen

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 3, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Omobono posted:

It's interesting that tanks can fire at infantry in trenches (although at reduced damage). Grey's offensives keep being repelled by the AI flooding the area with infantry coming in through trenches, a tank or two could mow them down as they come.

E: I assume there isn't a "stay in the loving trenches you morons" setting for our pixeltruppen

The ai is rather good at forcing you back unless you act very well to keep them from reinforcing, I like to use a gas barrage personally to keep out the riffraff

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Omobono posted:

Yeah, I could give up on my dreams of winning the air war on this one and go for some tanks to try and break their line.
I'm struggling to stave off the waves of enemies - though maybe when I attack that one corps region things will change.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm planning my next offensive, but I'm struggling to decide which techs to priotise - I want them all!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Wow, that first attack on Sarrebourg was a tight run thing. Always double check your deployments before hitting start Grey. Also your arty angles.

I also feel like some drunken politician screaming at you the only way to win this war is frontal assaults on the enemy to drive them back

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wow, that first attack on Sarrebourg was a tight run thing. Always double check your deployments before hitting start Grey. Also your arty angles.

I also feel like some drunken politician screaming at you the only way to win this war is frontal assaults on the enemy to drive them back

Drunken Politicans/Generals yelling to do frontal assaults is very much WWI

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Drunken Politicans/Generals yelling to do frontal assaults is very much WWI

I'm planning one - but I the winter penaties on top of everthing else are a factor.

I plan on a couple of spoiler attacks to reduced morale, then two big ones to try and take the hex in one go.

Let's see how many men I leave in the dirt - I'm going to need a tonne of supplies and money for this!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm planning one - but I the winter penaties on top of everthing else are a factor.

I plan on a couple of spoiler attacks to reduced morale, then two big ones to try and take the hex in one go.

Let's see how many men I leave in the dirt - I'm going to need a tonne of supplies and money for this!

does destroying trenches with siege bombardment force the AI to spend supplies rebuilding them for followup fights? if so then where you've got 3~4 tiles to attack into a single province you could just use the first few engagements to waste their resources and quickly ceasefire (maybe launch 2 bombers+2 fighters at once to kill artillery for that objective and to drain their budget replacing fighters?)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

silentsnack posted:

does destroying trenches with siege bombardment force the AI to spend supplies rebuilding them for followup fights? if so then where you've got 3~4 tiles to attack into a single province you could just use the first few engagements to waste their resources and quickly ceasefire (maybe launch 2 bombers+2 fighters at once to kill artillery for that objective and to drain their budget replacing fighters?)

Each direction is a different map and will have different trenches.

Now what CAN be done... if you have the supplies and enough stacks of siege artillery, is just bomb the map clean, I am talking 10+ days of bombardment (expensive), this also wrecks the enemy morale for the upcoming battle making it much easier to break their troops that are left. You could do a quick spoiler attack on top of that from another direction and go for that extra 15 points of exhaustion as well

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Lets have a go at a major assualt!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Jeez. Like how are you supposed to even take territory? You always run out of supplies before you take every point and as soon as the battle ends the entire board resets.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jeez. Like how are you supposed to even take territory? You always run out of supplies before you take every point and as soon as the battle ends the entire board resets.

This is WWI... you don't really TAKE territory, you grind down the other guy... Potentially if you can identify where they are weak compared to you, you can potentially overwhelm them by draining their manpower until they can't defend their trenches.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean after every battle the game tells you "it's OK, buddy, you aren't really meant to take territory :unsmith:"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's a guy on Youtube who won the game by taking every single hexagon on the map on max difficulty (launched a bunch of fake attacks to keep enemy national will up so they don't just autolose), and it boils down to using your undefended points to cheese the timer, moving guys along the flanks with lots of light artillery support, using bombers a lot, and then finally cheesing everything with massed tanks. Also, lots and lots and lots of micro to keep your idiot units from walking out of trenches etc. Counter-intuitively, low tech trench warfare was a lot faster than late tech. Even tanks just bring it back to how fast it was early on.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I bought this game after seeing Grey play it. I'd consider 6 light artillery batteries the bare minimum for an offensive. That's 420 supplies out of the gate just as the basic ante. 490 for 7 batteries, 510 if you want an heavy battery instead.
A corp is 150 free supplies, 180(?) if elite, conscripts still get the full 150. Bring A LOT of corps.

Here's the result of an offensive:

welcome to the thunderdome. Two armies checked in, half of my army checked out. When I had 6 batteries trained at them and half their guys were hanging out in the open. WW1 man.
To be fair I didn't bring air burst shells but I don't even have those researched yet and a basic heavy artillery barrage does (comparatively) zilch damage to infantry in skirmish formation, or in trenches.

Those are at least 7 British infantry corps, 2 elite British corps and a Canadian infantry corps for good measure; level 1 supply depot for 400 extra supply from national reserves. That's 1960 starting supply (2110 if I brought 8 British corps instead of 7).

That's ~1280 supply spent, 854 plus the artillery setup cost. 427 supply each to capture 2 points (+75 each to 502 if I had 8 British corps there). Defended by normal and conscripts while I used my elites. WW1 man.

Bring corps. A lot of corps.
(In retrospect I should have brought 3 normal corps and 4 conscript/Indian corps instead, I don't care for the quality of those 118 squads playing poker in the barracks)
E: and God help you if you want to gain more than a star per month in a given territory. Because you need two sets of lotta corps.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Omobono posted:

I bought this game after seeing Grey play it. I'd consider 6 light artillery batteries the bare minimum for an offensive. That's 420 supplies out of the gate just as the basic ante. 490 for 7 batteries, 510 if you want an heavy battery instead.
A corp is 150 free supplies, 180(?) if elite, conscripts still get the full 150. Bring A LOT of corps.

Here's the result of an offensive:

welcome to the thunderdome. Two armies checked in, half of my army checked out. When I had 6 batteries trained at them and half their guys were hanging out in the open. WW1 man.
To be fair I didn't bring air burst shells but I don't even have those researched yet and a basic heavy artillery barrage does (comparatively) zilch damage to infantry in skirmish formation, or in trenches.

Those are at least 7 British infantry corps, 2 elite British corps and a Canadian infantry corps for good measure; level 1 supply depot for 400 extra supply from national reserves. That's 1960 starting supply (2110 if I brought 8 British corps instead of 7).

That's ~1280 supply spent, 854 plus the artillery setup cost. 427 supply each to capture 2 points (+75 each to 502 if I had 8 British corps there). Defended by normal and conscripts while I used my elites. WW1 man.

Bring corps. A lot of corps.
(In retrospect I should have brought 3 normal corps and 4 conscript/Indian corps instead, I don't care for the quality of those 118 squads playing poker in the barracks)
E: and God help you if you want to gain more than a star per month in a given territory. Because you need two sets of lotta corps.

9 to 10 corps is pretty much the BASIC amount you need to do an offensive with, just so you have enough supply to get your artillery firing to supress the enemy enough to make it to the trenches and still get half your guys chopped into mulch

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The area is still not an unrecognizable mass of pitted and cratered mud, you're not giving it your best.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oh, no, that area was the thunderdome BEFORE the assault, the battle was a sweep.

With quality advantage and overwhelming numbers advantage (there were like 3 corps in the defense) and it still cost a shitload of supply.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

With no supplies, it's time to hold the line!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
It looks like they stripped units from elsewhere to do this push. Think you can exploit that?