Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Major Isoor posted:

Not sure if this is best suited for Imp Zone or the Scholastic Book Fair TBH, but seeing as this little pet project (assuming anyone cares and therefore this actually happens online, rather than just...me doing it normally) will no doubt take longer than the standard life of an RSF, I figure having it here in IZ is probably the way to go. Plus imps are the best posters as a general rule, so I figure IZ is a safe bet! :D

Wait, really? There's no way to play in, say, the steppes at a low rank? Interesting. Supposedly you can start in any region and go wherever, but yeah I guess I'll have to look into potential workarounds for the rank thing you mentioned, if people want to see one of the later books off the bat

To start at Rank 1 you need to start in Book 1, but from there you can travel to and play in any of the books if you have the means (the books in question and possibly money for transportation). It's just that unless you've played enough to know the "safe" areas/paths your Rank1 noob stands an excellent chance of getting literally eaten alive.

While Ableton backed the king, my go to character usually backs the general. Maybe the king's son is a better person than the general, but I look at his army which has been brought together against a common enemy, the general. Which means that if the general is defeated (after a slow, grinding war) that coalition will likely fragment into a four/five-sided civil war.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Everyone fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

super sweet best pal posted:

We're pretty much done with book 1 and should head west to Golnir

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Golnir is... probably my least favorite of the series. There are multiple encounters which can screw you or flat-out destroy your character (AKA Resurrection deals won't save you). This is true regardless of Rank/Attributes. You can be Rank 20 with 12s in every Ability and still get hammered. Surviving/avoiding those situations is a matter of either knowing where they are and staying away until you're prepared or just getting lucky on the dice to determine the encounter.

The character is Rank 4. Take him north to the Plains of Howling Darkness.

----------------

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, interesting - Golnir is one of the books that I have very little knowledge about, so it may be best to follow your advice there. Odd that there are so many trap decisions in book 2! I guess they may've still been getting their bearings, on what's balanced and what isn't. Book 1 has been fine though, interestingly.
In any case, unless there are objections from anyone else I think I'll take us further north once I'm home from work, in light of all this

Golnir can be worth adventuring in because there's quite a few ways to up your Abilities. There's one area where you can find some maps that somehow boost your Scouting by 1 point (no roll 2d6 and if you score higher, just a straight-up addition). But that's on a random roll which also has the potential for "You go insane. Lose all but certain Code words (and some of those Code words you only get one shot to get), reduce your Rank to 1 and reroll your new Stamina with 2d6). There's another area with encounters like 2-6 (get a chance to raise Charisma if it's under 6) 7 (nothing special) 8-12 (lose a point of Thievery).

There's a couple of areas where there are people telling stories. Those stories give you Code words. If you run into certain encounters (randomly rolled in those areas) you generally have to make a fairly steep Attribute roll to survive/avoid nastiness unless you have the needed Code word.

----------------

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Double-posting but I just learned that Russ Nicholson, who did the covers and interior art for the Fabled Lands books (among many, many other things) died May 10, 2023.

----------------