Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The best parts are when the "real" editor adds a footnote like "I have no loving clue what Truant is talking about here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I might be a dumb baby but I got chills at the end of that old historical document ftairf!. Fun book imo

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Arrhythmia posted:

The best parts are when the "real" editor adds a footnote like "I have no loving clue what Truant is talking about here"

Are there any interesting comments from the unnamed other editor? I remember finding it funny that there was yet another person involved.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 12, 2023

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I read this book while our first kid was sleeping in our room in his bassinet and would wake up often enough that some nights I didn't really sleep. So the combo of induced insomnia and reading this by booklight was unique - I really felt like I was going insane for a while. The Truant stuff (esp with his mom and his exploits) were pretty boring, though his own descent into madness was a good hint at some larger pull of the House. Loved the House stuff generally and Zimbardo (?)'s academic writing. Didn't love that one chapter with all the author/filmaker interviews, that was a huge low point in the book imo

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Wasn't Navidson's backstory that he was the guy that took The Vulture and the Little Girl photo or am I crazy

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Nope that's right

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I read about a third of it around the time it came out then lent it to this girl I was trying to gently caress. Never got the book back.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

I haven't thought about this book in a while. I read this back in 2002 after a friend let me read part of it on a transatlantic flight. Had to get myself a copy so I could finish it. It has issues, but I appreciate what was attempted in the way each story is presented.

I have a stack of books I have purchased, and not read yet, but may have to dust this one off first...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oldstench posted:

I read about a third of it around the time it came out then lent it to this girl I was trying to gently caress. Never got the book back.

did you get laid OP?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

did you get laid OP?

*five hundred pages of johnny truant describing sex follow*

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bilirubin posted:

did you get laid OP?

no

DGP Space Lion
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome to Goa, Singham
I bought it recently during a trip to NYC because a goon wrote somewhere that he read it so much it got torn in half, went in mostly blind and really liked it

There was a tiny checkmark in page 97 without any context so I googled "page 97 checkmark" and got to a 20 year old thread at the book's official forums where people are losing their minds trying to decipher what it all means. there seem to be hundreds of similar threads there, it rules

Also turns out the entire book is available for free as a PDF on archive.org

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
This is maybe only semi-related, but does anybody remember the series "ARG analyzer" youtuber Night Mind did on this? He tried to inject in his own lovely series called "Pelican Black" while pretending it was a hitherto-unknown part of the original work. Obviously it was terrible and he was rightly mocked. Anyway. Book's alright. On a reread it definitely does not have the level of mindfuck / interface screws that I remember it having -- certainly I think that sort of thing (especially the commentary level) is done better in modern day with VM Straka / Graeme Malcolm's Ship of Theseus and that one webcomic where the ghost runs at you if if not, obviously, SCP stuff, but it is still notable as a genre grandpa.

vv: Oh yeah, Night Mind had been off the deep end for a while before that -- somewhere around the time where he made his whole series about how to make an ARG despite not having done one himself, high off his farts and fandom -- and this was just the icing.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 17, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Distinctly remember that Night Mind thing. Turned me off of "horror YouTube" forever, which is probably a good thing considering most of those channels are brain poison

jammiesjammer
Feb 14, 2023
been meaning to read it since i was 12 and Im now 26 lmao.

going to try buy a copy and read it after i finish blood meridian

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Maybe I'm mid but I love this book and it really tickles all the things I love. The horror elements, the mythology references, the philosophy genuine and pseudo, the interweaving stories, and the mockery of academia.
It's not perfect, but it would probably be less good if it was.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
House of Leaves is the Tool of books.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

worm girl posted:

I believe this is correct

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

worm girl posted:

Yeah pretty much

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

worm girl posted:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

worm girl posted:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

worm girl posted:

Pippin is the fool of Tooks.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

worm girl posted:

the Black and Decker catalogue is the book of Tools

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
hold on - that's not what the original post said at all!

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
BOOM! You just got House Of Leaves'd

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Mods, add color bbcode just for this thread for appropriate depiction of house, minotaur, etc., thank you.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

worm girl posted:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Heath posted:

A thing I discovered that no one else comments on is that the word "where" does not occur anywhere in the book. It isn't even in the huge index at the end

Only Revolutions has a whole list of words that do not appear anywhere: http://www.maketrybe.org/happenings/2016/2/28/saved-by-fiction-only-revolutions (can't find the original source)

I found OR to be an incredibly intricately constructed book that was not particularly interesting to read

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just posted in the "Can a book be scary?" thread with this, before I saw this thread:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

House of Leaves legitimately scared me. I love impossible geometry, non-euclidean areas, and the entire concept of whatever that area is in the five and a half minute hallway.

I enjoyed the weird meta things that were being done with the book, and it's a story that I keep thinking of to this day. Read it over a decade ago.

At one point, I was so pulled in that I actually got startled reading a specific thing in it. I really was watching it in my head like a terrifying and creepy movie.

The part that literally startled me was when the knocking from Holloway is heard through the wall. Maybe 'startled' is the wrong word, but it sounds better than "got so creeped out that I had a minor physical reaction"

Also, isn't there a part that goes into what the house is built on, and it's some sort of haunted stone stairway in the ground? Does that ring a bell whatsoever?

Also also, gently caress Tool.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'd say the sequence with Johnny's hallucination in the supply closet at the tattoo parlor is genuinely scary in a way most horror fiction isn't

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Also, isn't there a part that goes into what the house is built on, and it's some sort of haunted stone stairway in the ground? Does that ring a bell whatsoever?

Jenny Agutter posted:

I might be a dumb baby but I got chills at the end of that old historical document ftairf!. Fun book imo

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I like Tool, but I never got all Joe Rogan about them. They're just a pretty good rock band for when you're in a certain kind of mood or nineteen years old.

Everyone hates Johnny but he was actually my favorite character, and I really liked his footnotes. In a way, he's kind of making fun of what Danielewski's doing - the whole book can be taken as a jab at the concept of serious media analysis, and Johnny is there as a stand-in for the author to take him down a peg or two for stooping to the level of parody that he has with his 700 page magnum opus. Like however smarmy or pretentious you find the book, Danielewski also thinks so, and he decided to make that clear via Johnny.

If nothing else, it's very funny that Danielewski got so many people to critically read a huge essay about a fake film. I know it's not quite as dry as a real academic paper, but I remember thinking when I finished it that it was wild that I actually felt compelled to do so, given how much of it was just :words:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's been forever, so if you're referencing what I'm talking about, I'm not making the connection. Can you elaborate?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It's been forever, so if you're referencing what I'm talking about, I'm not making the connection. Can you elaborate?

The part you’re talking about is a found journal from some 17th or 18th century explorers who were dying in the winter iirc. The last line from them is finding stairs in the middle of the wilderness, long before the house was built.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Jenny Agutter posted:

The part you’re talking about is a found journal from some 17th or 18th century explorers who were dying in the winter iirc. The last line from them is finding stairs in the middle of the wilderness, long before the house was built.

ahem.

ftairs.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ftairf :smugmrgw:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok were their mouths frozen or something? Ftairf is them trying to say 'stairs'?

I think about this book a lot, but obviously have to re-read.

Known some call is air am.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 1, 2023

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
in the very beginning truant says that his major talent is making up fake stories, so that helped me digest his cringe behavior in the rest of the book as a pathetic person trying to sound cool by bragging about sex and drugs even though none of it ever happened.

regardless, the jonny truant parts of the book really haven't aged well. it's some store-brand tyler durden poo poo and it really brings the book down.

also, navidson feeling all guilty about the photograph was pretty :rolleyes:

really, the book doesn't have any good characters besides maybe the crazy explorer guy.

the spooky house and the layers of framing devices make it a pretty awesome book anyway. somehow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

When I picture Will Navidson, I picture the guy who played Mark from The Room. I can't picture him as anyone else.

"YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, HOUSIE!"

"Wow what a story, Zampano..."

Edit: jfc, a meta "What a story, Mark" was RIGHT there.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Ok were their mouths frozen or something? Ftairf is them trying to say 'stairs'?

In old english, there was a letter, ſ (which in sans-serif fonts looks like an f with a tail), and it was pronounced as a long S. so "ftaires" is just how you spelled "stairs" in Olden Times

When I picture Will Navidson, I picture the guy who played Mark from The Room. I can't picture him as anyone else.

Now you've got me imagining Zampano as played by Wiseau. He wears those old people sunglasses because he's blind