Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok were their mouths frozen or something? Ftairf is them trying to say 'stairs'?

I think about this book a lot, but obviously have to re-read.

Known some call is air am.

They wrote stairs with the long s but truant's an idiot who didn't recognize it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Here's my take: the whole book was written by truants mother who killed her child (Truant) by murdering him with boiling water. It was maybe an accident but all the writing about his sexual exploits were warped by his mother imagining him being terrible to women in his sexual fantasies because she wants to justify in her writing that her dead son was a terrible person to women.

She hallucinates the book with the father figure completely becoming helpless and dependant on his wife/mother once he gets saved from the brink of death after cold exposure (baby truant died from hot boiling water, symbolically the complete opposite). She was possibly molesting her kid.

Truants mother, who was artistic and very creative if I remember correctly, resented the fact she had a son and echoed that when she wrote the main characters wife who was also mad and fed up with her husband/child because of how her career stopped at "housewife" once they had a kid. Truants mother could probably grow to resent her kid especially after she gets put into an asylum because the baby was trapping her in a life she didn't want. There's something very... Oedipal might be the wrong word, but it's some kind of familiar and the opposite all at the same time.

Last edit: Truant means loser/rotten person in French. Which tracks with how she hates her son for the role he played in placing her in the asylum. In her mind (remember, the mind of a deranged crazy woman in an asylum that writes crazy poo poo day in and day out, trying to fix the sins she's committed and tries to push away from her mind) all this is due to the kid, not her.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 3, 2023

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I think it might be about a funny house

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
doom house?

edit so that this isn't totally a shitpost:

I can't abide any "it was all a dream" theory usually, but in this case I think it's an extra valid take, as is the idea that maybe Johnny made it all up, or that there was never a film and Zampano was just weird. Narrative uncertainty is a core theme throughout the book.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 3, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I think most interpretations are valid when compared to the text. Personally, I like to believe it was all written by Mark Z

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Who's Mark Z

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Odddzy posted:

Who's Mark Z

Anne Decatur Danielewski

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Who!?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Grassy Knowles posted:

Anne Decatur Danielewski

I can see why she goes by Poe

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mutantIke posted:

I can see why she goes by Poe

Yeah, way too hard for an 1800s Baltimore drunk to pronounce.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Odddzy posted:

Who's Mark Z

The Z stands for Zampano

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
how about instead of Mark Z Danielewski the book is written by Mike D Fromtheboysbeastie

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Meh, I don't buy it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Odddzy posted:

Meh, I don't buy it.

Then let us know how the ebook works

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Never read the ebook

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Odddzy posted:

Who's Mark Z

some weird dude that likes sweet baby ray's bbq sauce

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

some weird dude that likes sweet baby ray's bbq sauce

The true author has been in front of us all along
"The sauce is the boss"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Know sauce call is air am

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goes well with friend medium-rare minotaur wings.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
SMH when this is the top thread of the subforum and the last 12 posts are incomprehensible shitposts

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

There all is aching? There all is aching.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Odddzy posted:

SMH when this is the top thread of the subforum and the last 12 posts are incomprehensible shitposts

Depending on how you interpret the book, Zampano/Johnny/Johnny's mom was the ultimate shitposter.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

but why was it a house of leaves?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

MNIMWA posted:

Navidson was unable to leave the house

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Odddzy posted:

I replied with my interpretation in earnest and your response was a shitpost. While our posts didn’t directly state interpretations in earnest, they themselves were illustrative of a philosophy of interpretation.

Allow me to rephrase: I believe in the death of the author and I think the metatextual narrative supports the concept itself. The total structure—the signal loss between the literal human IRL author and his web text to pelafina and the navidson record to zampano, to johnny, to the editor, to you-the reader, supports this perversion by audience. Everyone gets something different because of the nature of communication always being imperfect.

The author was Thumper.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I replied with my interpretation in earnest and your response was a shitpost. While our posts didn’t directly state interpretations in earnest, they themselves were illustrative of a philosophy of interpretation.

Allow me to rephrase: I believe in the death of the author and I think the metatextual narrative supports the concept itself. The total structure—the signal loss between the literal human IRL author and his web text to pelafina and the navidson record to zampano, to johnny, to the editor, to you-the reader, supports this perversion by audience. Everyone gets something different because of the nature of communication always being imperfect.

The author was Thumper.

I'll be honest, bringing up death of the author makes it to easy to recontextualize everything in a work and never finding truth. If we all believed there was no true answer, then there no reason to discuss anything.

Although you might be right on your interpretation, I wasn't shitposting back at you.

Allow me to be honest though; on an analysis level there's no way someone could argue Zampano or other clear candidates wrote the book simply because it symbolically would go against the fact the true author of the book took all this effort to blur who the meta author was.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

MNIMWA posted:

pages are leaves

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Odddzy posted:

I'll be honest, bringing up death of the author makes it to easy to recontextualize everything in a work and never finding truth. If we all believed there was no true answer, then there no reason to discuss anything.

I believe the truth is in the human experiences you're sharing in conversation, both you and the work and you and those you talk about the work with, not in the plot points you're agreeing upon. Faulkner being asked if Hightower dies at the end of Light in August is a far more interesting thing to look at than an argument about where in the text it's supported vs conjecture. And arguing with you about the validity of the death of the author is more entertaining and enlightening to me than the idea that there's some universal truth hiding behind discovering the 'one true author' of the work.

Every single narrative character and form in HoL is untrustworthy and has held whatever preceding works in a way that reduces the potential of verifying any of them. Johnny fucks with Zampano's words, Zampano is a blind man reviewing a film, Pelafina has a tenuous grasp on reality, the editor doesn't understand what the gently caress but is expected to act upon it anyway. If you don't want to follow this based off of just that, Danielewski has spoken less than highly of a lot of academia's discussion of literature, and all of this reduction of provenance mirrors significantly something like Shakesperean criticism where people argue the man didn't exist or the man who did exist was no playright.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It's actually house of feaves, Navidson has the most dogshit kerning in the world

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I bought this because a coworker and I both wanted to read it. I read it, then lent it to her, and she in turn bought The Familiar Vol 1 for us to read. She never finished HoL, and still has it, and I read the first 3 volumes of The Familiar before realizing it truly was never going to go anywhere, and gave up. And now I find out I can't just easily rebuy the whoops, all mixed up version any more? Horse poo poo. I will not buy a version that doesn't require multiple bookmarks to read.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
The Familiar is such a funny concept to me. "My next book is going to be twenty-five books long", no clue how he even got the first volume published

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

There are 27 volumes... but if you begin reading you'll find that there are many many more volumes inside than physically possible...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Smugworth posted:

There are 27 volumes... but if you begin reading you'll find that there are many many more volumes inside than physically possible...

Sounds familiar

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

worm girl posted:

Everyone hates Johnny but he was actually my favorite character, and I really liked his footnotes.

Aw thanks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nice :golfclap:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mutantIke posted:

The Familiar is such a funny concept to me. "My next book is going to be twenty-five books long", no clue how he even got the first volume published

they're also completely unreadable, printed on super high quality paper, and he managed to get like, 5 or 6 of them out of the door before someone caught on

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

they're also completely unreadable, printed on super high quality paper, and he managed to get like, 5 or 6 of them out of the door before someone caught on

I think I'm the only person sad that they stopped

Edit: And i'm including Mark Z Danielewski in my assessment of saying "I'm the only person"

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

I’ve read through like the first half 4 times, then I get distracted. I should go back and finally finish it. Last time I got to the part where it’s all blank pages save for a few words per page. It’s when the expedition leader goes crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
actually finished this last month. it's definitely stuck with me, and the navidson record was pretty fantastic

i only liked johnny when he suffered, but i loved the letters from his mom, who also made him suffer