Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Security working overtime on these weekly tracking shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

edogawa rando posted:

They sure do like their steadicam tracking shots, don't they?

Because they kinda rule? Especially as a statement of "Kevin Dunn for drat sure doesn't work here anymore!"

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
They're good, especially that one. They're not HIGH CINEMA or whatever but they are cool. Sami's WM one was good too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kvantum posted:

Because they kinda rule? Especially as a statement of "Kevin Dunn for drat sure doesn't work here anymore!"

At the end of the day though, what else have you got? If it's meant to be WWE CINEMATIC CINEMA, I want more than a ham-handed attempt at recreating Alan Clarke's Elephant without the fun bit at the end of the tracking shot.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Pylons posted:

The problem with those belts is that the renders look pretty good but they look absolutely dogshit in person and on TV because the detail gets lost.

https://twitter.com/wweontnt/status/1780033771724485048

looks like a class ring

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/JulianWks/status/1780062894388048298

lol this stuff got really goofy really quickly

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Id take that over a million cuts per minute any day.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

It sucks so much discount Harley Quinn is going to get it.

Edit: I guess they could try and bring someone over from smackdown. I feel like doing Becky after her lose at WM would be weird. Chelsea Green for the comedy option heel.

They have an even more discount Harley Quinn in Alexa Bliss but she's currently on maternity leave

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

I mean yes, its an improvement over that. I dont think anyone would argue otherwise. I just hope no one follows the wwes lead here.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

martin scorcese's avengers 🤯

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
toxx: if wwe becomes a wrestling version of birdman, only using unbroken tracking shots, and if all of the wrestler themes are replaced by low-key jazz numbers, i will watch one (1) episode of wwe RAW IS WAR

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I think this is the third time "tracking shot" has made people weep for the beauty of cinema in WWE in like two weeks

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's better but also funny that they found something that's working and in regular fashion are starting to over produce it and make it look goofy. I might just find it weird that a lot of it is going for the energy of a concession stand brawl without the brawl

They're going to do a promo in the style of an Ok Go music video in like 4 weeks

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

its not shocking that people are enjoying a new style of production that isn't meant to be a headache inducing assault on your eyes

the shots that are being posted are miles ahead of whatever that absolute trash was that dunn was putting out there and if they want to go fully in the other direction with unbroken 20 minute shots it will still be better than his garbage

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

In ring was also better in my opinion when I watched WrestleMania but still pretty bad. The current pace of cuts still feel too heavy and sloppy but also give you a reminder of how bad Dunn was because they still feel reserved compared to him.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's better but also funny that they found something that's working and in regular fashion are starting to over produce it and make it look goofy. I might just find it weird that a lot of it is going for the energy of a concession stand brawl without the brawl

They're going to do a promo in the style of an Ok Go music video in like 4 weeks

yeah in classic wwe fashion its just a new cliche in waiting

remember when they were obsessed w two out of three falls for like 2 months?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
whoever replaced dunn just saw the deadlock clip talking about when they did that shot for kurt angle walking to the ring and then beating the poo poo out of spike dudley and is doing it every show now

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Someone far more talented than I please replace the audio with The Crystals' - "Then He Kissed Me" for that entire segment. Or just the audio from Goodfellas with the tracking shot of the restaurant scene.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they've done that shot like 3 times already and none of them have been as cool as the 1 time WCW did it when the NWO arrived at the start of the show in limos with Dennis Rodman and they all walked out smokin penises to Voodoo Chile through the smoke

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alaois posted:

they've done that shot like 3 times already and none of them have been as cool as the 1 time WCW did it when the NWO arrived at the start of the show in limos with Dennis Rodman and they all walked out smokin penises to Voodoo Chile through the smoke

Hogan walking through the pyro smoke and air-guitaring the belt to voodoo chile 🥵🥵🥵🥵

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DarkstarIV posted:

I'm also not looking forward to the inevitable Liv Morgan title reign because she's loving dogshit awful

I dare you to say this on Twitter, where the Liv Morgan stans are psychotic & will probably lip you apart limb by limb for noticing she's not very good at wrestling

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

forkboy84 posted:

I dare you to say this on Twitter, where the Liv Morgan stans are psychotic & will probably lip you apart limb by limb for noticing she's not very good at wrestling

They can only be pale shadows of the Alexa Bliss stans.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

a.lo posted:

More of this please (but safely of course)

More? This is like the third or fourth time in recent weeks they've done this. Fans latched onto it the first time so now they're fuckin' running it into the ground, as is their style.

I get that Dunn's gone and it's cool they can actually do stuff like this, but they're getting way too much credit for something they should have been allowed and able to do eons ago.

shiksa posted:

yeah in classic wwe fashion its just a new cliche in waiting

remember when they were obsessed w two out of three falls for like 2 months?

For the dumbest reason too. They would do the first fall right before a commercial break and not continue the match until the break was over.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WWE does bad camera cuts: nerds boo
WWE does cool oners: nerds boo

Make it make sense!!!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vandar posted:

More? This is like the third or fourth time in recent weeks they've done this. Fans latched onto it the first time so now they're fuckin' running it into the ground, as is their style.

I've only seen two of them. I'm assuming the others are also structured around following one person (or people) from the ring or ramp area, through Gorilla and into the backstage area where they stop at another person (or people) and follow them into the arena?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Make it make sense!!!

Cuts aren't inherently bad, you just have to have editing skills, an eye for timing etc.

Wishing for no more cuts is some serious monkey paw poo poo, it just seems that some of us can't see it swinging right at our face in a beautiful cinematic long shot.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Rock getting pinned by a forklift from the POV of the forklift is a weird camera choice that sticks with me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Cuts aren't inherently bad, you just have to have editing skills, an eye for timing etc.

Wishing for no more cuts is some serious monkey paw poo poo, it just seems that some of us can't see it swinging right at our face in a beautiful cinematic long shot.

When it's structurally the same each time as well, it just exposes how much the poor the production actually still is. The only difference is that they're now one-trick ponies.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think their production is very good.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I think those camera shots are terrific. I don't watch the show or anything, but they look impressive as hell and going from an enclosed space to the stadium looks super cool and the fans running up is amazing. I mean people can not like it but it doesn't have to be run into the ground so much as just become a standard part of their filming vocabulary. Like they do something good, I want to see more of it. They do something that sucks I want to see less of it.

If the good thing starts sucking (which I don't think this has) then do it less until I like it again. Then do something else until I get sick of that. Then wind up with many different techniques to maintain interest.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It's a really cool shot and segment, I'll give them credit. It feels a little overblown if just because it would have felt much more natural last year (I know Sami won the IC title by defeating GUNTHER but from what I've seen it felt like he was kinda built for it last minute with the hope people would remember how hot he was last year) but nothing's cooler than a wrestler mobbed by a hot crowd singing their theme. Other companies do similar shots after all, like Moxley's entrance most every time. In general I like when a wrestling show has a sense of place and uses the arena well, but it also feels like this could get silly fast.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Make it make sense!!!

The correct response is to always boo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nice post

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Codependent Poster posted:

At least now they don't have to try and come up with a way to turn her face since it's pretty much already done. She'll get cheered big time when she returns.

all part of the plan

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Surprised no one is calling out how contrived some of these tracking shots are. Like the one they do after the Rhea Ripley beat down.

That said, I totally agree it looks cool as hell having the "entering the arena" POV

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I think these tracking shots wouldn't work with a Cody Rhodes or a heel. They really can only be used for the more "everyman" type wrestler like KO or Sami.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Surprised no one is calling out how contrived some of these tracking shots are. Like the one they do after the Rhea Ripley beat down.

That said, I totally agree it looks cool as hell having the "entering the arena" POV

yeah the over the shoulder shots of wrestlers coming through the curtains and onto the ramp have always been cool - one of the best vistual parts of watching wrestling documentaries

then again I like most of the backstage stuff that gets filmed that isn't cm punk assaulting coworkers or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I think these tracking shots wouldn't work with a Cody Rhodes or a heel. They really can only be used for the more "everyman" type wrestler like KO or Sami.

what if the camera guy is running around the the concorse and cody rises from behind the nacho bar