Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m so glad I chose to get back into Wrestling only for it to get sold to another dude who just put that megalomaniac back in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Can someone explain to me why Reigns is being pushed as hard as he is? I watched the WWE best of reigns matches last night and I don’t really get it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

MJeff posted:

To add to this, WWE's money is tied to guaranteed media deals, not tickets or PPV buys, so they don't actually have to create stars. They can just use the inertia from the last time they were culturally relevant to make insane profits. They've also done an excellent job teaching what's left of their fanbase that the brand is the star, so they'll watch no matter who's on top.

What this all means is, there's never a situation where it's financially necessary for them to create a new star or push somebody who gets over rather than just do what they want to do - push Roman. They want to push Roman, and there's no financial pressure to do anything else because all the money is guaranteed for five years at a time, so, they just do what they want to do - which is push Roman.

Which has found us at this really funny situation where despite Roman not being a good wrestler, not being a good promo, not being a draw and just not really being particularly noteworthy or successful or even above average at anything except getting pushed, he still has insane amounts of power backstage and can basically do whatever he wants, including loving off for months at a time, and the show is still completely based around him even when he's not there. He knows that they just want to push him, and that gives him basically absolute leverage over them. I have no idea how WWE found themselves in a situation where the most mediocre top guy they've ever had has them by the balls because they just decided he was the top guy, but at least it's funny!

Good to know. I can’t remember exactly when but I stopped watching shortly after Cena won the title for the first time. I was never really a fan of the Orton Lesner Cena class.

I have been watching old ppvs in order with my oldest and it I remember how frustrated I was back then. Now is almost worse but the mid card is pretty decent.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So, is the Bloodline just a stable of the Rocks evil relatives?

I'm watching last weeks AEW (first time) and its so much better than what I've seen from WWE.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

MJeff posted:

....so Solo's finisher is just a thumb to the throat? Like, he actually does that to win matches, not just to interfere or beat people up?

Aren't throat shots, like, illegal?

I don’t know that it’s much worse than the Superman punch.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Brock is trying to pitch a tag team called Brockbqck mountain but Vince won’t let it happen because of the Saudis

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Always wild to think there was a decade of wrestlers who's prime was ignored because Vince was at least a decade behind and TNA was trying to emulate the death of WCW.

It’s crazy to me that I stopped watching wrestling because of reasons - but I remember hearing about he next superstars coming up from indies and now those stars are nobodies (styles and cm punk) while I completely missed the people getting pushed that I didn’t think they ever push (hardy boys split and edge etc) only for them to have a talented roster headed up by some jackass who does a Superman punch.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I was told watching the Royal rumble this year that the final four were the future of the company.

Based on what I’ve seen I’d say Solo Sikoa, theory, Damian Priest, and Omos

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pylons posted:

Going rumor is that Roman and Solo are challenging Sami and KO for the titles in Saudi.

I thought the latter two refused to go to Saudi?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Hbk was 43 when he fought a 59 year old flair at wm24 and then he fought the Undertaker at WM25-26 when they were both 44-45. Wasn’t Batista oldish when he started too?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
All this talk about age - it’s crazy to me that you could have a 40+ person Royal rumble with all the dead wrestlers who have competed in that actual match…through 2009 because that’s the first year everyone is currently still alive.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

RealityWarCriminal posted:

to be fair, and I didn't realize this, Damien Priest didnt start wrestling until age 33

From wiki, he’s only 40 and trained at the monster factory before attending an ROH training camp at 31.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
JUST IN: In the raw following the blood money event, Rhea Ripley will have a Women’s title match against the new WWE signee Romana Reigns

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

I like the over the ropes into the German Suplex part of that. The part setting that up takes too long.

But I can never really be truly mad at wrestling moves that are silly and don't really make sense. The People's Elbow never made sense but it ruled

See also.
hogan Elbow drop
Socko
Superman punch
rikishis smell my butt in the corner turnbuckle

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
17 minutes in they’re talking about Uwe Boll fighting “comedy writers on the internet”

Said Lowtax had it coming lol

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
There has hasn’t been a “bad” MCU movie just lots of mediocrity

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Nitro and Attitude Era are both on peacock tho? for me at least

I literally just introduced my kid to wrestling through attitude era PPVs on peacock

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

If streaming ever had a chance (I don't believe it did, and this era is going down in flames like it deserves) it was definitely not helped by them mishandling it at every turn. Doing it intentionally wouldn't have hosed it up as bad as it's been hosed up at this point, and it's holding on by threads

So what is the future?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Writer Cath posted:

CG wrestling. Ever wanted to see Prime Hulk Hogan versus Roman Reigns? Buy the new WWE app for $17 per month to make it happen.

I’d rather watch Satans Tv Network broadcasting Benoit and Guerrero vs Mr Perfect and Owen Hart for the tag titles

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Shard posted:

Ok so it isn't just us right? Have they actually turned WWE fans into thinking Cody is a loser

Cody is to the WWE what Zaurg was to BFC

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Today I learned from Behind the Bastards that Pat Patterson is a child molester and Vince didn’t care.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Yeah - Behind the Bastards spent a solid 20 minutes on that.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I stopped watching Wrestling around the time Peacemaker and Drax showed up so I know them primarily from that.

Cody Rhodes and Logan Paul are why my son wanted to start watching wrestling because of the go big show and YouTube.

Aside from that, I knew Edge from WWE but I really enjoyed him on Haven too.

FROM AEW, doesn’t…everyone know sting and Jericho?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Cody Rhodes gimmick reminds me of what would happen if Livejournal became sentient. He’s like the zaurg of wrestling. American nightmare? More like American Whiner!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

Sorry, the sentient Livejournal wrestler is CM Punk. Whiny? Yelling into the void? Actually used Livejournal way past its prime? That’s the Punker.

Was he using it after the FSB bought it?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

maruhkati posted:

Wrestling fandom is a large niche, but it remains a niche because most of the people outside of it aren't even curious.

If you were to survey 100 random people to name as many active wrestlers as they could, I'd be deeply surprised if more than like 15 named Roman Reigns. (And I'm estimating high - 15 is a lot for a wrestler who isn't in movies!)

Prior to getting back into wrestling after a 20 year hiatus, I would have said Cody Rhodes, Kofi Kingston, Edge, and Rhonda Rousey from Wwe

AEW I knew Jarrett, Matt Hardy, Jericho and Sting.

That’s not to say I didn’t know a lot more but I legitimately thought Rey had retired and Jeff hardy was dead.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Kennel posted:

How were you aware of Cody and Kofi?

My son watched the Go Big Show and I went to HS with Kofi.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Fun fact: I only found out about Kofi because I ran into an old friend and he was telling me about how one of our classmates is a famous actor so I googled our town

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So he had COVID and probably has long COVID as a result and like every other person who gets it they don’t name it because COVID is over?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Dems That are still active: Seth Rollins, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Daniel Bryan, Adam Page, MVP, Mustafa Ali, Cedric Alexander, Chuck Taylor, All of New Day, Sasha Banks, The Butcher from AEW are all ones I know for sure

This is from Reddit so take it for what it’s wort

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Aren’t we talking about the company that used Paul Wights father dying during a feud with Big Boss Man as part of the feud?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I mean…they made a bunch of people wrestle in Owen Harts blood. Nothing else ever surprised me after that.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
That Gunther Gable match is the best thing I’ve seen since turning wrestling on again this year.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Ok I went to the MOTY thread.

I’ll still stick by my claim that the Gunther match was great - when I’ve only watched WWE since picking wrestling up again, and even then I didn’t watch that much.

My only question for you all is…is Masato Tanaka immortal ?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The Rock n Sock connection with special one time returns from Stone Cold and HHH at Wrestlemania vs a reunited bloodline. Special guest referreee John Cena.

Match ends abruptly when screen fades to Vince showing up at Trumps sentencing and shaving his head for revenge.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
https://filmzone.com/dwayne-johnson-upcoming-movies-list/

He’s not going anywhere

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Breetai posted:

They're loving remaking big trouble in little china what the gently caress.

Not the place but I half expect The Rock to fight terrorists off on Nakatomi Plaza or be the next T1000 at this rate.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

This mean they’re just going to get rid of positions that are duplicated - lots of middle managers in Payroll, A/r, a/P, legal, HR, finance…and other things that cost money but don’t bring money in.

A lot of these people have seen the writing on the wall and are probably interviewing. This is what happens in mergers.

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 15, 2023

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My Introduction to Cody was watching the Go Big Show that my 9 year old told me I had to watch and there was one really desperate untalented wrestling fan who came on to impress Cody and all Cody did was poo poo all over his dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Punk will get signed and end up being Dominik Mysterios next feud before eventually rage quitting because they want him to job to LA night