Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Is EMF alright? Are they still rich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I think I will watch that awful Chun Li movie, and then watch that awful Chun Li movie again, before I watch this new one. Neal is M. Bison in that one, which is its own kind of awesome/terrible.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

He plays him as Irish for some reason!

When you get Neal McDonough to play M. Bison for your awful Chun Li movie, who are you to tell him he can't play Bison as Irish. From what I've heard, the movie is chock-full with bizarre performances like that, like the director gave everybody a Macho Man Promo amount of cocaine and had them brainstorm their ideas for their characters.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hmmmm it's not April 1st so what's thi... oh, heh.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

Seems like only yesterday when I was watching the Smackdown hype videos for a debuting wrestler named "Hirohito".

He just likes to have fun, Maggle!

Also, post/username combo!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean this is his retirement. He shows up, does whatever, and spends most of his time getting paid and surfing.

On the one hand, good for him, on the other hand one of the reasons I stopped watching WWE is how I'm supposed to be hyped for phenomenal wrestlers because they are successfully getting paid. Just totally losing my poo poo when someone like Owens makes his way to a lovely squash going "Wooo, go get that paycheck!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

To be fair to WWE, they've done this lovely think for a lot longer than just All In, hell, even before AEW existed. It's an awful company that will fire you for any reason they want but won't let you leave if you're unhappy.

Hmmmmm, weird that me being fair to WWE is just me making GBS threads on their policy for being standard rather than a panicked decision.

I mean, it can be both. In fact, with WWE it can be every and any reason imaginable, as long as they are generally horrid, undermining the basic assumption of human dignity, or pleasing one or the other member of a fascist regime around the globe.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Island Nation posted:

Honestly, If the strikes are still going on and they can't The Rock to appear at Mania, it's not worth bothering. He'll likely be booked up with film shoots for a few years around that time. Not sure when they'll induct him in the HOF in that case.

I would prefer a final match at some point at least since squashing Eric Rowan doesn't seem appropriate for his stature. Then again, Bruno's last match was a tag team match with Hogan.

lol who gives a poo poo about The Rock's last match anymore? It's abundantly clear he will be back eventually. It's honestly pretty pathetic of both Vince and The Rock how they are playing around with the expectations around the match against Roman; it's going to loving happen. Maybe not next year, or the year after, but it will happen and there will be a million lovely ads for it when it does, trying to convince everybody that this was actually worth the wait.

And then five years after The Rock will have a five-second squash against Doink's grandson and die five days later, who loving cares?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That DICK! posted:

i feel for the rock. its gotta be really hard to think you're gonna be president and fight superman and then end up not doing either of those things

Or worse, doing any of those things at this specific point in time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

But... he's not gonna beat the Rock?

Like, are you crazy?

He's gonna have his streak broken, by the Rock.

So they can have another match, at next Wrestlemania. For revenge.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sami can be champion at whatever events there are that aren't necessary to build up for the inevitable Rock-Reigns-rematch to the inevitable first Rock-Reigns-Finally-Once-In-A-Lifetime-Episode I match. He will simply hand over the belts during a commercial break on Raw when the time comes and then proceed to beat Dolph Ziggler in handicap tag matches with Kevin Owens.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Like, seriously, hands up: Who is going to be hyped when The Rock drops the first hints that he has finally

FINALLY

COME BACK

to fight roman reigns

If you felt even the slightest rush imagining even current-day The Rock saying that in the middle of a WWE ring, you know that he is coming back.

MJeff posted:

I don't think Rock is coming back and I never have and I think it even less the more time passes cause the dude is in his drat 50s and tore a pec every time he wrestled a decade ago.

Age and match quality is not going to stop him or WWE from eventually doing this, like come on!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Now that there's cracks showing in his career I don't know if going back to rasslin would create the right perception for his Brand.

Being part of a very successful TV program might help his brand.

Getting millions of dollars from Saudi Arabia or whatever might help.

Just betting on brand rejuvenation for delivering a "long-awaited" marquee match might help.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Black Adam is such a weird C-tier character for him to have been obsessed with all these years, I really wanna know how he got to that point in the first place

Wakanda Forever is pretty blah but the guy who played Namor hopefully is still laughing his rear end off considering that's the other role people had fan-casted The Rock for for ages.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wait, didn't the exact same thing happen to Gargano not too long ago?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Hes probably too busy getting dropped from Netflix movies because of his sexual misconduct allegations to be laughing tbqh

Yikes, good riddance then!

Looks like a golden opportunity for The Rock to take over that role!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

excited to see Jonny bones jones poke roman in the eye

Sounds like a big man, are you tall enough to see Jonny bones jones poke roman in the eye?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

mooseinfants posted:

Maybe in exchange for acquiring TKO they can sell Star Wars

Man, now I really wanna see what Vince would do with the Star Wars IP. Or even just his befuddled face when someone tries to explain the canon to him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1701767266877014043

We are in the bottom of the third on the restoration of Pete Dunne's name

Either Dunne/Butcher/Dutcher is

a) standing on a banana crate,
b) that lady is two feet tall, or
c) she is doing splits like that one tall-ish interviewer, only more so.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

We are watching terrible men play with their action figures. Nobody makes a billion dollars being a good person. I have made my peace with it, the toys are innocent.

Also, you made some money off of them.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

Who in NXT could you even have her drop it to? They're all a bunch of green no-name shmucks

Why drop it, though? Holding titles forever is the new Thing, surely there is some female Bruno that Becky can "beat". That way, she has her very own Participation Price title to satisfy her fans and keep her out of the way of Charlotte until it is time for a title unification, baby.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Can't have been that much unless the hostess club received funding from Saudi Arabia.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

This is every wrestling fan, especially when making a point about companies they don't like.

Yeah, every wrestling fan is trying to click play on that one like an idiot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

A lot of these people have seen the writing on the wall and are probably interviewing. This is what happens in mergers.

There is a good chance a bunch of them thought it couldn't possibly happen to them. WWE attracts the kind of dipshits who think that, and it's always funny watching them eat pink slips.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cavauro posted:

jade vs rhea could sell 500k buys of wrestlemania on its own. peacock subs

I'm all for making GBS threads on WWE but please don't kink shame the people who watch it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Just think of the return pop when they bring her back in seven months!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

weekly font posted:

Stratton has more potential than Summer Rae or Kelly2 ever did.

That praise must be from Victorian England because of all the fainting.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Oh wow crazy, the Rock has a series of movies that receive pretty strong backlash and discontent from the fanbases and all of a sudden he has time for wrestling again, huh?

How about that

Don't worry, his live-action Moana remake is gonna take off and he is suddenly going to be very busy again. The guy they slot in for him? His name is Not Cody!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I just watched/listened to that whole thing again despite having seen it a few dozen times because I love it a whole loving lot; many of those times I've seen it with my sons who love it just as much, possibly because they sense how much I love it. I am still incredibly wary of the live-action remake because I don't trust The Rock to bring that kind of fun and energy again and if he fucks it up it will probably make my sons at least a little sad...

But I still want him to do it if it means Cody gets suckered again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bring Nathan Jones home, WWE!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

They will book him OK-ish for three weeks and then he will get hurt, WWE stans are going to lose their minds over the ~potential~ in his return!

Also, quoting myself from a little over a week ago:

Grendels Dad posted:

lol who gives a poo poo about The Rock's last match anymore? It's abundantly clear he will be back eventually. It's honestly pretty pathetic of both Vince and The Rock how they are playing around with the expectations around the match against Roman; it's going to loving happen. Maybe not next year, or the year after, but it will happen and there will be a million lovely ads for it when it does, trying to convince everybody that this was actually worth the wait.

And then five years after The Rock will have a five-second squash against Doink's grandson and die five days later, who loving cares?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Breetai posted:

That's an odd name. I'd've called it a dunny.

Punk and Cody should be made to face each other every week in a never-ending series of openers where they go 50/50 off of rollups and gently caress finishes until they're completely heatless, at which point the payoff will be Cody winning at WM 42 after donning the Stardust costume.

Let them hoover up a million people from the under-undercard, a constantly shifting and regrowing assortment of nobodies who will be exchanged the moment being in a stable threatens to elevate them.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

For whatever reason, the Australian government will ground the planes with the WWE Superstars, effectively holding them hostage.

The elomination pods are stowed away safely on Vince's private jet.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I am extremely cold on Cody because he acts like he is the protagonist of a story when he has done everything in his power not to be. It's not even his story anymore, he isn't the main character, he is not even a hero anymore. All this while being clearly very talented at many aspects of wrestling, it's just kind of frustrating to behold and makes Schadenfreude come easy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

I like Cody a lot, but his entertaing life choices and weird public persona makes me laugh when dumb things happen to him.

I love the Jackass guys but I still like when one of them gets hit in the nuts with a 20 pound frozen fish.

The difference to me is that the Jackass guys set out to get hit in the nuts with a 20 pound frozen fish. They don't try to sell me on the idea that they went back to the Get Hit In The Nuts Factory to finally fulfil their dream and their promise to their dead dad and whatnot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no one knows the words to any of them anyway.

I trust this has already been posted in the true anthem discussion.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Drakkel posted:

Wild that HHH went on a re-hiring spree after he took over and then proceeded to do nothing with any of those people and instead just runs through every possible combination of Judgement Day vs Kevin/Sami/Whoever Their Third Friend Is This Week for the next year

Worked for the Shield.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

The problem is her knees are held together by hopes and wishes

How isn't she NXT champ right now?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I can already hear Cole call her Age Age Jay.

There comes Age Age Jay, oh my!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pinche Rudo posted:

I think now that Vince doesn’t have sole control, he’s going to be forced out/retired in the next few years. I just can’t see TKO/Endeavor keeping him on super long as he’s already 78, still has some lingering investigations going on, and could start clashing with Ari Emanuel as he’s used to being the top dog. I think Vince’s current role is going to be transitional and he eventually winds up with maybe a board seat, but no actual day to day authority over operations.

Nick Khan is a better choice to run the company from a business perspective at this point. Dude is a shark with a ton of entertainment industry connections and doesn’t have the decades of baggage that Vince carries. He’ll cut WWE to the bone and squeeze every penny he can out of it.

Have you considered that Vince's world runs on the same narrative laws as the Game of Thrones show, wherein the dude/lady most suited for any role gets shanked five minutes into their time at the top and the most horrible person in any given scene getting the power?