Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kvlt! posted:

i also never understood how it doesnt just like shatter his thumb is there a kayfabe excuse for that

He's a Samoan. C'mon now, we know that they are built differently in kayfabe

MJeff posted:

....so Solo's finisher is just a thumb to the throat? Like, he actually does that to win matches, not just to interfere or beat people up?

Aren't throat shots, like, illegal?

It's like punches being illegal. They are until they aren't.

I dunno, it's not in the top tier of wrestling moves because there's no headdrop or flip but Samoan Spike is fine. It'd suck being stabbed in the throat by a guy that strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

It's based off Sami Zayn not being able to enter Saudi Arabia and Kevin Owens supporting his best friend

Anyway wrestlers trying to work-shoot how they won't show up to work is the lamest stuff. Stand for something or stop whining about it. Sasha and Naomi stood up for what they believed in and great for them.

I will never get mad at wrestlers being passive aggressively mad at WWE because that would make me a hypocrite, passive aggressively hating your job is the way and the light

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Aw I liked Charley :(

That's what happens when you like things, you get disappointed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kennel posted:

Now that you mention it, Cody looks exactly like my flaccid penis. Tattoo and all.

Having bleached blonde hair on the tip of your penis is not normal & probably unhealthy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Eddie Edwards' most notable single career moment is getting his head split open with a baseball bat by Sami Callahan

Going to suggest being the only non-Japanese to win the GHC Heavyweight Title is more notable than anything involving Sami

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

This would require the wider wrestling fanbase to care about NOAH

Imma suggest NOAH are more notable than TNA

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

TNA over the past 2 years is better than at least current NOAH for numerous reasons

I'll give two right off the bat: no world champ over the age of 40 (NOAH's had 4), no Kaito Kiyomiya humiliation (NOAH's done it constantly)

I will have to gently disagree. NOAH is no perfect company but I'll take 51 year old Takashi Sugiura over anyone that Impact can offer, never mind Shiozaki, Nakajima, Kenoh, Kiyomiya, Lee. And as for the company behind Okato, they don't get to laugh at wasting young talent.

Honestly, it we're comparing Impact to a Japanese company it should be All Japan, but if All Japan didn't have the best wrestler in the world. They both may well have some great wrestling, but if nae oval office watches then does it matter?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

There's still people who think Kevin Sullivan did it, because he wrestled a Satanic gimmick at one point. Wrestling fans are dumb and awful

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I seem to remember Punk throwing a hissy fit when a friend went backstage at a WWE show after Punk was let go?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

We joke about Punk going on an apology tour, but damned if he didn't actually make amends with the Miz, and would have done the same with Paul Triple H if Daddy Mustache hadn't said no

It's the Ryback apology I'm looking forward to

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Can't believe hiring a bunch of lovely failed comedy writers leads to a writing team putting out the most grotesque, lazy & lowest-common-denominator poo poo possible. A loving Crocodile Dundee gimmick. 35 years too late.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Sad sack Corbin, or Happy Corbin?

This is important.

Well he did 9/11 so I assume he'd be Very Happy Corbin

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Why not bring back Filthy Animals instead of LWO?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MJeff posted:

Dirty little secret about AJ in WWE is that he's been aggressively average to mediocre since the Brock match which was six years ago now.

Which I think is fair enough really, he's been wrestling since 1999 and probably 15-18 years of that was at a high level doing a style that's not necessarily easy on the body. But yeah, he's definitely getting by on reputation at this point, you're right

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MJeff posted:

There's also the boneyard match which people will try to convince you was good. These people are demons and you should throw holy water on them.

Will never stop saying DDT did a way better cinematic nonsense match in 2020, with Takeshita against Yoshihiko in a Last Man Standing match that even mocked the ripping out the eye spot from Rey Rollins match, work of art.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Crediting ROH for the current product is crazy.

New Japan becoming the first #2 promotion in the US to not be there by default is to credit for that. ROH during the 00s was never even a blip compared to what mid-2010s New Japan was.

What's the old quote about The Velvet Underground & Nico? "The first Velvet Underground album only sold 30,000 copies in its 1st 5 years, but everyone who bought it formed a band."

I'm not saying Gabe era ROH is quite that influential but more that influence doesn't always mean instant commercial success. But that legacy is a huge impact on AEW's style and even shines through in part in WWE.

Guys might well have been a success without ROH, with only IWAMS, CZW, JAPW, RevPro/PWG, Wildside, whatever, but despite being a niche within a niche ROH did give guys like London, Kendrick, Danielson, McGuinness, Joe, Briscoes, Claudio, Hero, Shelley, an intermediate step between local indies and the TV promotions.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

ROH had a huge impact on American wrestling. The talent that came through that company and made their names in it alone is ridiculous. Night one of WrestleMania had Kevin Steen and El Generico main event, for example.

The point is that while CM Punk and Samoa Joe were having hour long draws both companies with TV exposure were actively going in the other direction. WWE took it as an insult, spent a decade saying ROH didn't know how to work and sabotaged the careers of anyone who they hired for having a name made outside of WWE while pushing poorly trained bodybuilders. TNA had Jeff Jarrett as it's top star and spent the following years poorly booking some of the best wresters going in favour of former WWE guys padding their pension.

It's only really after CM Punk over came WWE's bullshit that there was any change, and even then WWE nearly sabotaged Bryan Danielson right out of the gate.

It's funny if you see comments in the newsletters from TNA around 2003-5, often complaining that "we have most of the same wrestlers so why do they get rave reviews for their work in ROH & not here? It's not fair" & in 2003 London & AJ are given 25 minutes to steal the show while at the same time London is having fun sub 10 minute matches with Chris Sabin that end with some poorly done interference & AJ is stuck being associated with Vince Russo & in matches with multiple run-ins.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't generally care about how old a wrestler is, it just became A Thing in WWE because they refused to make young, new stars anymore and only relied on the old ones. Old wrestlers can be cool as poo poo. It's just, you can't only have old wrestlers at the top of the card forever and ignore the young wrestlers who are getting over and could be huge stars as well.

I only care about age because every time I watch Masato Tanaka I think "how the gently caress is this guy 50, been wrestling a hard hitting style for 30 years & still this good?"

As opposed to classic Hulk Hogan where you watch him & think "how the gently caress is this guy 37, has been wrestling for about 15 years, is this bad & looks ancient?"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/trillyrobinson/status/1657767105582989318?s=20

Why did I not realise NXT was the home of such innovative wrestling?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

What would Siren be doing hanging out with the Eternals?

Dunno, what possessed anyone that making an Eternals movie was a good idea? Maybe she got lost.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That DICK! posted:

All y’all ain’t seen marvel movie since endgame say YEAH

Haven't seen an MCU film since the 2nd Guardians movie, don't know if Into the Spider-Verse came before or after Endgame but that'd be the last Marvel film I saw. It was fun

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

I miss the WWE Network

You could sub to the superior AJPW.TV, all the Kento Miyahara you could want. Actually, that's not true, there's never enough Kento

(You can still get the WWE Network if you use a VPN, but don't give the WWE money please)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

So soon we forget the legacy of Quibi

And now I really want to watch The Golden Arm again. Not the high point of Sam Raimi's career.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Brock kicked out of repeated cross rhodes then kimuraed Cody into unconsciousness. Just like always happened to Austin and Hogan

Passing out from a double wristlock? That makes no sense to me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

There's an NXT show tonight they want you skipping Double Or Nothing for, same time

Noam Dar vs Dragon Lee in a Heritage Cup rules match seems like the sort of thing I will go out of my way to watch. Which I think would be the first WWE match of this year for me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cody Rhodes has officially been adopted into the Gracie family

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

3 A.M. Radio posted:

If you alwaya wanted to see what the Austin/McMahon feud would have been like if Austin was beaten down and humiliated every week (sometimes twice!), and Austin never had a chance to physically get his revenge on Vince , you're going to absolutely love the Cody/HHH feud that's coming your way.

Truly Cody is the man for our times

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the Persian dream...

The Aryan Dream :colbert:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I cannot approve of this is any way.

For this is neither Happy Corbin, nor Sadsack Corbin. And Corbin is at his best when his very name tells me how he is feeling.

His name currently tells you he feels like a minor member of the nobility

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

Apparently Ilja Dragunov had another five star match that no one saw?

Hey, it's better than when he was in wXw and no one even knew he had a five star match outwith the Rheinland

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

mooseinfants posted:

Yugioh sucks these days. Almost as bad as WWE

So you're saying they go together real well

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

She's very well liked backstage

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That DICK! posted:

it could be the freaking money

Think you're on to something

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

shiksa posted:

oh don't worry the album could still totally be used to drive anyone above the age of 35 out of a room

This description made me have to listen to some stuff. It's interesting. Reminds me of Mr Bungle in the way it can shift genre even within one track. Hate the vocals in the way I've never been able to enjoy music with heavily pitch shifted vox, going back to first hearing Cher's Believe. It's not even that I have a problem with vocal effects entirely, I like some of the stuff John Lennon did to his voice because he hated the way he sung, & Jus Oborn from Electric Wizard is a favourite of mine despite (or because?) of having some sort of distortion on his voice. Just a total boomer about those specifically very high-pitched artificial effects that I'd associate with someone like Akon or T-Pain.

But at the same time, heavy metal as a scene is generally pretty loving conservative musically, regressive even in a way with "this is what X sub-genre is & you must not go outwith those boundaries". So that sort of "this is music that should alienate old people" vibe is definitely not coming from there. Makes sense it would come from the electronic music side of things, where there's a lot more room to just do weird poo poo in. I hope there's always young people making intensely awkward & alienating music. It's like Metal Machine Music, I'm glad it exists even if as a record I've probably sat through it in full once & that'll probably do me for this & the next lifetime.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

is that pat paterson beside idk the macho man?

It's actually The Rock

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonz posted:

Now I want to see Boyd Crowder take over Vince’s position.

Boyd is too moral to have anything to do with this company

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nether of these guys are cool, charismatic, or fun to watch.

Yet both of them carry themselves like they are.

Which makes them that much lamer.

The last time I checked Wreddit even suggesting that this was a valid viewpoint, not even disagreeing but just saying "it's possible for this to be a sincerely held belief", you'd get down voted into oblivion faster than a speeding bullet. It was quite insane

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Going back to Maximum Male Models.

Arent they just a blatant rip off of Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky doing thr "handsome well dressedmuscly men" thing in AEW?

The difference being Ethan Page is handsome anf charismatic, and Scorpio Sky can wrestle well. As opposed to Mace and Mansoor who are no e ofthose things.

Handsome well dressed muscly men is hardly a gimmick created by AEW, come on.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

No post about this awesome video from SuperEyepatchWolf about the Roman Reigns storyline?

Alright, I'll link it: https://youtu.be/UaDAzXVycR4

Now I had stopped watching WWE way before the Bloodline started, and while watching this video I tried to remember what exactly got me to give up on WWE completely. I mean, I suffered throughout the entire Cena era, so what happened?

I honestly think it was Reigns that broke me. Suffering through his matches and promos, which were all terrible, knowing that he was the new Cena and he was going to be shoved down my throat for the next decade, I think that did me in.

Now, some of the stuff in this video which I've never seen looks good. Especially all the stuff with Sami. But it was all a complete accident on WWE's part, let's be honest. It was no delicately planned storyline like Hangman and the Elite, for instance.

Anyway, I highly recommend this video. It's long as gently caress but it's super entertaining and this guy is legit at analysing stuff while remaining humorous and emotionally open

I'm just saying that in the over 1 hour 30 of a video essay you could watch the 3 best matches of 2023 (according to me) and still have time left over to make yourself a cup of tea.

Miyahara & Nomura vs Aoyagi & Nomura - 22:33
Omega vs Ospreay - 34:38
Okada vs Takagi - 32:07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MJeff posted:

So people would make fun of his lovely Vincent Price look instead of going "why the gently caress is this serial rapist coming back."

And it worked.

I know the perception of wrestling fans is we're morons, but I can think more than 2 thoughts at once & I assume others can too.