Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

They truly cannot let anything be organic even now, huh. clown car company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Answers Me posted:

Have WWE finally worn down their audience enough to accept whatever they’re given? With Cody it feels like they’ve said “this is the guy, not anyone else you like instead, cheer him” for the millionth time, only now the crowd seems to have said “OK fine”

No, that's what they did to Roman Reigns. People liked and cheered for Cody, WWE is just starting the "grind him into nothing special" thing they always do. It's sort of the reverse.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

This is such a...boring company. Like ever since Sami in Montreal it's been making the safest, dullest decisions every time. I almost miss when the company was just plain bad.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

I remember when he had the greasers (?) with the girl in the poodle skirt which my mother would find very dated, I would only know from vague cultural references from before I was born, and kids probably found incomprehensible.

Deuce N Domino existed for an audience of one, and that audience was me tuning into a random Smackdown in 2007, seeing them, and thinking "this is the coolest poo poo I've ever seen and wrestling is awesome" and never looking back :colbert:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's SO good. The song, the cool car, my love of The Outsiders...it all clicked for me in a way that Undertaker vs. Mark Henry from the previous week just didn't and made me a true fan for life. I may be the only person who can say that my favorite wrestlers of 07-08 are "The Smackdown Tag Team Division" but I accept it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

aw gently caress dude he was someone I thought would live forever

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I used to be on the same eFed site as those two guys so there's always going to be a part of me that wants them to succeed and I thought the gimmick was fun. Theme song was great. The LA Knight stuff did them no favors. I hope they can find something that works for them.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I thought WWE social media using a bunch of emojis was just a thing they did for the latest game. Well.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Something about Logan Paul being added last-minute to an already good MITB pool, regardless of whether or not he wins, feels weird to me. Even now there's this corporate sheen and stop-start element to WWE that makes them inherently not fun to watch despite the quality of the talent involved. I'll probably check out MITB though, I guess.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

During his first FCW run I remember a guy on the boards I was on who would constantly post how hyped he was that Shaun Ricker got signed to WWE and that if they gave him a chance he'd be huge. I hope that dude is happy right now.

Kennedy comparison is pretty decent, actually, but I like LA Knight a little more than I did Kennedy. I mostly remember him leaving TNA over Tessa's title win, I think? Seems like the dude just had a big mouth that kept getting him into trouble, though it's working for him now. He's cool, the throwback stuff is cool.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Chris Jericho was also in Jay and Silent Bob Reboot as a hilarious punchline predicated on his recognizability, and even made it into Terrifier 2 which was a surprising smash success. He was a big name during wrestling's hottest period and his star has kept its shine. Roman is still contained in the WWE bubble outside of cameos in Fast movies.

Fozzy has been asked to appear on compilation and cover albums and sells tickets on its own name, somehow. Yeah I'd say he's more recognizable to most.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Vandar posted:

The eventual payoff for the New Day/Usos feud is still a moment so good that I can't believe it came from the WWE.

Big E and Xavier struggling through a tag team gauntlet match to ensure that Kofi gets his title shot. There are only two teams left, but Big E and Xavier look like absolute poo poo, too beat down and exhausted to keep fighting for much longer.

The Usos music hits. Xavier and Big E realize how hosed they are that their biggest rivals are up next.

And then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiwjNtOoUqU

Just way too loving good of a moment to have come out of the WWE.

This and the entire run to Kofi winning the title at Mania just feel so un-WWE...mostly because they feel smart, earned, and satisfying while being wrestling-focused. Truly great stuff. I rewatch this clip a lot. A shining moment during some dark days.

I think the Usos are great wrestlers kneecapped by WWE's pace and limitations. They join a pool of people who I really want to see spread their wings outside of the company. Guys like Matt Cardona have shown how often the presentation and homogeneity of the company can actually be detrimental to a wrestler and I think the Usos have shown that when allowed to be a little bit more (the aforementioned New Day feud comes to mind) they have tremendous upside. I think there's a reason that everyone they work with, along with top tag teams that they haven't worked with, have nothing but praise for them.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Big E on commentary, man that would be good.

I'd love to see them make the jump as a trio/tag with Big E as manager for sure. Maybe they could actually get Mega Ran entrance music this time. Honestly frustrates me how quickly they dropped the King Woods thing, and I wasn't even a regular watcher at the time.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

deeply insulting to John Waters

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

mustache jokes are what the fed stans crave, so who can blame the fed stan media for providing it imo

The #rehireelicottonwood movement starts NOW

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Deeply depressing company

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I dropped out of wrestling for a while and then came back around the Rumble, watched til Mania, felt clowned on by Mania Night 2, and ended up when the wrestling itch never faded just going with the product that regularly entertains me while ignoring the product that doesn't. I'm not trying to be "anti-WWE", it's just not particularly interesting to me right now and clips I see from it just kind of reinforce that, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this feeling. I'm sure MITB will be fun as it almost always is with some notable exceptions.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Grayson Waller is a rare bright spot, a really fun Australian wrestler who was Matty Wahlberg on the indies.

But John Cena talking about how they're gonna bring Mania to Wembley :lol:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Don’t think he mentioned Wembley

drat...the report I read lied to me. This is less funny.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's a miracle Ricochet even had enough power to do that with one leg based on already shaky ropes. Crazy that they even made it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I miss Sami's hot run. It feels like a million years ago.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

D.N. Nation posted:

For me, it's Finn/KOR at one of the pandemic Takeovers.

In the "they'd never do it" part of my brain, I was thinking it'd be cool if Finn beat Seth and then Priest cashed in on Roman so you've got All The Belts And Also Dom, but nah, Judgment Day are losers 'cept Rhea

it would have been way too cool and interesting if the bloodline fell to the other Big Faction. shame

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The_Rob posted:

It’s so funny to have this big hot angle where no one will come out a star from it. Like I can’t imagine Jey Uso is about to become this big singles main eventer Star. You had Cody right there and you had Sami right there and you cut them both off. It’s insane.

Literally two perfect moments and they whiffed them both it's insane

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Breetai posted:

Dabba Kato sounds like a Star Wars EU character whose wookiepedia article is pending deletion due to notability concerns.

It's somehow a worse name than Babatunde, which was already a bad name

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Suplex Liberace posted:

Mr Babatunde has a good ring to it. A champion ring to it, plus it chants well. i think its a Very Good name for wrestling.

Admittedly had no idea it was his actual name so that's me walking back my comments but I do think "Mr. Babatunde" is good and gives it the oomph that Just Babatunde doesn't really have.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Cody could have and should have won at Mania but the thing about modern WWE is that as soon as you show any chance of being special in any way they feel the need to squash you into a little box lest you dare outshine The Brand. It's just depressing to see him go through the same bullshit WWE always does where they only allow people to be special in their own universe. And it's just boring to see him fight Brock over and over again. It isn't ADR vs. Sheamus yet but man, WWE loves just running the same match constantly.

The dude was primed to succeed in a way and in a company that felt right for him. He could have been The Face. Now he's another WWE Wrestler. Just like Sami is. It's more of a bummer to me than anything.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

yeah honestly that too

and he BEAT him

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

the game's really fun actually

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

Poster working hard for that Tony check!

Cons: unacceptably limited amount of CAW parts
Pros: hehehe Yuka Sakazaki just beat CM Punk in his Rampage debut and wants to do a landmine death match

I'll take my :10bux: now tony

History Comes Inside! posted:

The game is the exact inverse of the 2k titles where the wrestling part is actually fun instead of a tedious slog but you can’t spend 500 hours making custom things with an exhaustive array of sliders and decals so it’s limited in a completely different way.

Yeah basically this, by playing both I get what I want in either game, depending on if I want to play a fun wrestling game or use a deeply detailed 3D Picrew

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Where my Von Wagner fans at??? Any Vonheads in the house??????

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It honestly stings that they were able to trick me into watching again with how genuinely hot the Sami stuff was and the Cody stuff was and then Night 2 of Wrestlemania happened and it was just. Gone.

At least it's one of the several catalysts to me regularly watching wrestling as a whole again, though, so that's nice. Thanks, 'E. And now it's really super funny so that's also cool.

Sami deserved so much he'll never get :smith:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I think wrestling is the best when it's actually good, and then when it's funny that's a bonus

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Rarity posted:

That took me 25 minutes

this is extremely good thank you

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

yea ok posted:

All the Roman stuff would be really good if the company understood the character, but they don't so it all sucks

Honestly this really is it and it why Sami and Cody both losing double sucked, because it felt like those brief shining moments where the company would Get It and it'd be great for both Roman and the one who beat him

And then neither did and they're just doing this whole wow look at how dominant he is shtick.And now Jey Uso I guess will be The Guy, maybe. Silly stuff

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MJeff posted:

If you want a real opinion about the Bloodline segment, here it is.

There was an undercurrent of something compelling in the bones of the segment where Roman does the classic abuser move of flipping everything on his victims when confronted about what an awful person he's been, but if his plan was just to attack Jimmy and Jey anyway, why did he try to gaslight them first, why not just lie and act like he was actually sorry? He wants them to drop their guard so he can attack them, just heaping more abuse on them risks accomplishing the opposite of what he wants.

And then when you get into stuff like the way WWE scripts their promos, the insanely slow pacing, the overacting (if Jey runs his hands down his face one more time to signal how conflicted he is, I'm gonna punch a dolphin), the fact that it apparently ran super over so they had to cut a bunch of stuff for time and the elephant in the room of this would all make way more sense if ROMAN HAD LOST THE STUPID BELT TO SAMI OR CODY, I think it fuckin' sucked.

There you go, a real opinion from someone who really watched it.

The other day I watched an episode of Raw is War that had this incredible segment where mega heel Bret Hart hugged Owen and Bulldog and pleaded for them to stop fighting and for them to all be a family and when he did it he looked into the camera with a thousand yard stare while Bulldog and Owen cried on his shoulders and it's like...I think they're trying to go for this but WWE cannot help but make it Sports Entertainment™ and go back to a really easy trope toolbox with no variation because they think the audience is loving stupid at its very core and when you factor in everything else that went into this segment it's just tiring honestly

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Plenty of people try and crib from The Rock and Stone Cold simultaneously but very few people make it work and somehow LA Knight has gotten the closest, so honestly, good for him.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I miss Cliff Compton :smith:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

At least NXT's nonsense melodrama is tongue-in-cheek and funny. I'll take Tony using his one phone call to call the arena PA, or Pretty Deadly getting locked in a trunk and drowned, or Dijak and Ilja in the most homoerotic torture scene ever put on film over the attempts at DEAD SERIOUS DRAMA that infest the main roster.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

There's that... I dunno is it like a Wrestling College faction? They started the wave going in one of the matches.

Chase U is loving hysterical in NXT. Thea Hale literally never stops moving and she's so drat funny, and the stable has this whole thing where they get the audience to do the "GIMME A [X]!" bit.

NXT has gotten legitimately fun, but it's fun because it's having a laugh and unfortunately it really means that almost nothing about it is going to translate on the main roster so I don't totally Get why they do what they do. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's kind of wild how NXT has turned into Impact.

:hmmyes: