Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

stab posted:

Lol you'll never guess where Jay White just showed up

I'm actually sad the guy who said he was Uncle Howdy was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

A Fancy Hat posted:

I still can't get over Uncle Howdy looking almost exactly like the villain in The Black Phone and being named after a character in The Exorcist. Bray showing creative genius below your average haunted hay ride.

And even if you enjoy that kind of poo poo, eventually there's gotta be a match, and that match will always be dogshit because Bray only cares about LORE. Despite being born into a wrestling family he just has no clue how or why wrestling stories are told.

The Halloween bullshit only leads to more Halloween bullshit.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Digital Jedi posted:

https://twitter.com/mma_orbit/status/1686277292224397313

Can't wait to watch former mma fighters have a wrestling match under mma rules?

Have them do it in the pit/cage they put Ken Shamrock and Steve Blackman in at SummerSlam 99.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1688048029142786048

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Germansimp posted:

TNA-era Double J at least had a banging entrance theme :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Kkn0RuQns

I also have a hard time imagining him doing surprisingly entertaining mid-card comedy heel work in 2043.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Wrestling fandom is a large niche, but it remains a niche because most of the people outside of it aren't even curious.

If you were to survey 100 random people to name as many active wrestlers as they could, I'd be deeply surprised if more than like 15 named Roman Reigns. (And I'm estimating high - 15 is a lot for a wrestler who isn't in movies!)

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Could anyone who watched both tell me if the Summerslam main event was a better or worse 30-minute match than Chase Owens vs. Toru Yano?

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
He was a part of some of the stupidest, most embarrassing moments in televised wrestling history over the space of the last decade. But somehow, after each disaster he was able to dust himself off and get a lot of people to care about him again. To believe that THIS time was the time he'd finally live up to the potential they saw in him, right before the football got yanked from them again. Even though it ALWAYS fell apart, he had that special quality that made people forget all about those other times.

In this respect he understood the carny hustle better than anyone else, even more than someone like Cody.

Thirty-six, man. gently caress. COVID sucks. He should have had decades left to give.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

yea ok posted:

We'll never have another Rundown or Southland Tales :(

The Rock will NEVER deliver another line even half as well as "The fourth dimension will collapse in on itself...you stupid bitch."

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Hold up, I thought Disney owned Fox.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

DLC Inc posted:

https://x.com/Fightful/status/1701646250515521990?s=20

seems like a great way to ensure the worst loving people imaginable get to gain immediate entry to WWE

I dunno, I think it'd be hilarious to watch WWE try to do Inokism.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I wonder if this had anything to do with Nia Jax coming back.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Any rumblings of WBD bidding on Raw? 'Cause that might not be the best news.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
As a fellow University of Minnesota graduate, I look forward to seeing Riddick Moss put over Super Atomic Thunderfrog at the Uptown VFW in like two months. (No really, I sincerely do).

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Lid posted:

Unconfirmed speculation is that Cora Jade is gone too but it might just be trolls

The sign says No JADES. We're allowed one.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Lid posted:

The funniest thing for the Ziggler release is a whole generation saying THEY ARE RUINING MY CHILDHOOD and realising some of these people could've been 4 when they first saw him and are in their 20s now. Ziggler is their life.

Jesus Christ. How are they still fans of wrestling after that? Or life itself, for that matter?

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Lid posted:

They lived in an era where the only easily obtainable alternative was TNA. No chance they were seeing Bryan Danielson era ROH. To them Ziggler style WWE was the only wrestling they knew until four years ago.

But there were alternatives besides TNA. Specifically, literally anything other than wrestling, which is what I was enjoying for the great majority of this time period.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Some redditors: "If Punk and WWE can do business, why not?"

WWE: Remembers the countless reasons why not

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Punk ending up in NXT because Paul still takes the Wednesday Night Wars personally and he's blundered his way into having to do whatever he's told.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Ganso Bomb posted:

He’s always been a good wrestler, he’s just a gigantic boob. Somewhat similar to a Brian Cage.

Being in the Fed, he always has to try to have a gimmick, and it is always the most cringe thing possible.

I can't imagine he leaves. He's a company man and his wife is there.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Slash Lules Overyrhing around Me

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
It's really stunning that you can look back through the history of professional wrestling, a business that started out as a carnival scam and got scummier from there, and still honestly conclude that Vince McMahon is the worst human being ever to be involved in it.

He is FAR from the only contender for this title (a list that includes actual murderers), but he is absolutely one of them.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Skeptic_Renewed posted:

I'm just loving people, who supported a forum RUN BY LOWTAX with comprehensive abuse and serious allegations of DRUNKEN ABUSE, be so judgemental. At least he killed himself.

Vince still has time.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

against Dominic the Italian Christmas Mysterio himself

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Endless Mike posted:

I can't wait for the comic book where Punk rapes Santa.

*WWE Medical Staff fills up big syringe labeled "DESTRUCITY"*

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Truther Vandross posted:

lol Paul Heyman is going to fall rear end backwards into running WWE

If there's one man we can trust to run a fed free of sexual abuse, it's Paul Edgeworth Dangerously.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

cm punk walking up to you in morrowind and punching you draining your stamina when your stamina is depleted you'll be sorry bitch

Punk from the top rope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4N2Gdglde0

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Drakkel posted:

How do you suppose they come up with the NXT names? Do they just have a giant list of words and roll a dice for first name and then a second time for last name or is there some sort of algorithm that they feed words into and it spits out Bobsun Dognutt or whatever?

Also I swear this has been proven at some point but it also feels like they come up with the names first and just randomly assign them to people as they come in.

Enacting Vince's dream of an entire promotion of Fang McFrosts.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

That DICK! posted:

vince mcmahon has gone to new lengths to ensure his triumphant return to the wwe universe...

Vince, Phil, Johnny Ace, and an unnamed personal trainer "shunting" into a single fleshy mass like the end of the movie Society.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I'm very glad I both a) don't watch WWE, and b) still get to make fun of it here, on Something Awful Dot Com.

It's been a very good week. (The Vince revelations are also good - not that the things described in them happened, but that it's been made public and a bunch of assholes are going to get caught).

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I came home from watching the Timberwolves piss a game down their legs and saw "Poor Cody" trending. Immediately felt better.

The Fed fans should've bought a ticket to Black Adam if they didn't want this to happen.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
https://twitter.com/Official3ngag3/status/1753619617724219882

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
This thread has been nonstop gold for like the last week and a half at least.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Say what you will about WWE but it’s funny and good they’re burying the treacherous AEW jobbers

Except Beepie, who was in the dirt already.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Barry Bluejeans posted:

As if a switch had been turned, as if an eye had been blinked, as if some phantom force in the universe had made a move eons beyond our comprehension, suddenly, there was no trail! There was no American Nightmare, no Son of a Son of a Plumber, no thing called "Cody" to be followed. There was nothing in the ring but the puzzled uces of courage, who suddenly found themselves alone with shadows and darkness!

With a tweet, one cloud lifts, and another descends.

Professional Wrestler Cody Garrett Runnels Rhodes, rescued, alive, well, and of normal size, some one thousand miles away in Jacksonville, with no memory of where he has been, or how he was separated from his promotion! Then who, or what, has landed here? Is it here yet? Or has the cosmic switch been pulled? Case in point: The line between work and shoot is microscopically thin! You have witnessed the line being shaved even thinner!

Monster A Go-Go: The Story of Vince McMahon's Departure from TKO

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Testekill posted:

anti-WWE bias according to SCJerk is that they're being downvoted and called weirdos for being extremely weird about making GBS threads on everything that AEW does.

Circlejerk subreddits are the worst part of Reddit, and also the most Reddit part of Reddit.

Granted, most of them don't have the history of transphobia that SCJerk has.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
The best Kevin Nash movie is DOA.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

skaboomizzy posted:

WWE now has WWE Speed, matches with three-minute time limits available on Twitter. Who is this for?

Going to have to second the "who is this for?" question. The reason WWE matches (particularly women's matches) are 3 minutes long is to make room for the dinner theater that its fans are here to see. Anyone who's interested in wrestling centered around wrestling isn't going to give a poo poo about three-minute WWE style matches.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Majinfoose posted:

Outside of Cody-lust, I don't follow the lore of EMF

They were latecomers to the Madchester scene who had one big hit and then disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I tried going through classic shows back when I had a Network subscription. Honestly, weekly wrestling television ages like milk even during wrestling's "good" periods. I can't imagine watching more than just the PPVs unless I had a podcast.