Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Really interesting video I came across.

"The AI revolution is rotten to the Core"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUEXGaxFDA

At the end he talks about something I'm more concerned about, that is people befriending the chatbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Tarkus posted:

At the end he talks about something I'm more concerned about, that is people befriending the chatbot.

At least at the moment it would be like befriending someone with moderate dementia. The context awareness of GPT-4 is impressive but the responses start falling apart if you keep them going for too long. This forces you to start a new chat, erasing all of its memories. Once they manage to give the chat-bots access to some kind of permanent editable database this could make things even crazier.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

hbag posted:

i have an artificial intelligence class this semester and the lecturer is encouraging us to ask chatgpt poo poo and im not sure how to break it to him that it just makes poo poo up and is not at all a reliable source

I'm guessing the purpose isn't that he thinks it's reliable but to see how the manner in which you ask things affects the response, how you can game it to get the output you want, how it could provide misleading information, etc.

I would hope so at least.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Mescal posted:

What benefit is there to asserting current weakness in the machine? Of course it's a weak thinker! We've given it a highly impoverished existence, yet it learns and creates. It can't experience time and it has no body, yet it thinks.

Assuming you aren't being sarcastic, so people don't go and rely on it for accuracy in anything where it could potentially cause harm. c.f. every single company that has replaced human beings with ChatGPT engines for anything. Too soon to drink the Kool-aid there, people.

If you are being sarcastic, then it is to assert our rightful human dominance in the world.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Mozi posted:

I'm guessing the purpose isn't that he thinks it's reliable but to see how the manner in which you ask things affects the response, how you can game it to get the output you want, how it could provide misleading information, etc.

I would hope so at least.

the guy leading the computer science course also said we can use chatgpt for research and cite it. although if we just copy paste poo poo from it thats contract cheating which leads to immediate expulsion

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Citing ChatGPT seems... very suspect to me, if the assumption is that it's giving you a factual answer. Even if it is correct I still feel like an actual source would be good.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

How on earth would you cite ChatGPT? It's output, even when correct, changes every time you use it. It's not a document nor is it published in any way.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I can't imagine it being a different from citing people. You wouldn't cite an email, even if it came from an expert. You cite publications and official documents etc

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

hbag posted:

the guy leading the computer science course also said we can use chatgpt for research and cite it. although if we just copy paste poo poo from it thats contract cheating which leads to immediate expulsion

This is dogshit pedagogy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This popped up the other day. People have been speculating about using AI to confuse the public in relation to politicians

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66987869.amp

quote:

AI: Voice cloning tech emerges in Sudan civil war
An anonymous account has been posting what it says are "leaked recordings" of the ex-president since late August. The channel has posted dozens of clips - but the voice is fake. Bashir, who has been accused of organising war crimes and was toppled by the military in 2019, hasn't been seen in public for a year and is believed to be seriously ill. He denies the war crimes accusations.

The recordings are posted on a channel called The Voice of Sudan. The posts appear to be a mixture of old clips from press conferences during coups attempts, news reports and several "leaked recordings" attributed to Bashir. The posts often pretend to be taken from a meeting or phone conversation, and sound grainy as you might expect from a bad telephone line.

"The voice sounds like Bashir but he has been very ill for the past few years and doubt he would be able to speak so clearly." This doesn't mean it's not him. We also checked other possible explanations, but this is not an old clip resurfacing and is unlikely to be the work of an impressionist.

After further digging, a pattern emerged. We found at least four more of the Bashir recordings that were taken from the same blogger's live broadcasts. There is no evidence he's involved. The TikTok account is exclusively political and requires deep knowledge of what's going on in Sudan, but who benefits from this campaign is up for debate. One consistent narrative is criticism of the head of the army, Gen Burhan.

The motivation might be to trick audiences into believing that Bashir has emerged to play a role in the war. Or the channel could be trying to legitimise a particular political viewpoint by using the former leader's voice. What that angle might be is unclear. The Voice of Sudan denies misleading the public and says they are not affiliated with any groups. We contacted the account, and received a text reply saying: "I want to communicate my voice and explain the reality that my country is going through in my style."

An effort on this scale to impersonate Bashir can be seen as "significant for the region" and has the potential to fool audiences, says Henry Ajder, whose series on BBC Radio 4 examined the evolution of synthetic media. AI experts have long been concerned that fake video and audio will lead to a wave of disinformation with the potential to spark unrest and disrupt elections.

quote heavily edited to shrink down the article, much longer in link

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

In that vein, does anyone remember that time back after 9/11 when there was a video of a supposed Bin Laden admitting to doing everything but it was shot only from the back, he was much fatter and didn't sound like Bin Laden? Am I imagining this? That the US government released such a fake video?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Tarkus posted:

How on earth would you cite ChatGPT? It's output, even when correct, changes every time you use it. It's not a document nor is it published in any way.

i think they said something about putting its output in an appendix with your references. idk. either way im not using it at all lmao

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

Assuming you aren't being sarcastic, so people don't go and rely on it for accuracy in anything where it could potentially cause harm. c.f. every single company that has replaced human beings with ChatGPT engines for anything. Too soon to drink the Kool-aid there, people.

If you are being sarcastic, then it is to assert our rightful human dominance in the world.

Surely you don't take what I was saying as an endorsement of an AI's general factuality? I agree it gives inaccurate results under countless circumstances. And NOBODY'S saying to start citing GPT, that's fantasy y'all came up with.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I think it's fine to let students cite ChatGPT, but it should be made crystal clear to them that factchecking the AI is their responsibility. Any false statements made by the AI will be interpreted as false statements made by the student and will therefore affect their grade.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

at that point just cite what you used to fact check it as your reference

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Let me repeat: Nobody said that you should cite GPT as a source of information!

But its use attendant to the production of knowledge is salient. In matters of public record, that could be thorny. Citing the way you USED an AI (like, linking the chat) in the production of an academic or other work could be a thing that'd add great transparency to the production of knowledge. Like, imagine if Beethoven's correspondence or the Buckminster Fuller library contained their GPT logs. It'd be more fun to read than a diary.

The fact that AI is now bound to the production of knowledge does raise questions of transparency, even if the "citing" word doesn't fit.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm not sure but I don't think anyone is saying that you're all an board for citing chatGPT. But yes, another fear or concern of mine is that a ton of our information will be filtered through the lens of these new LLM's. It's going to be the source of a great cultural shift if it finds greater widespread use.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tarkus posted:

ChatGPT is not merely a search engine. In fact, the model largely does not contain any of the original data that it was trained on (Aside from the basic tokens), only the weighted relationships that made up that data. The original text, particularly if it's common can be regurgitated because that is the highest weighted relationship but it does not contain it as a string or stored file. That is why GPT has trouble with certain things like less common facts, reverse relationships and certain elements of logic. Can it be sussed out from human text? sure, it's a large language model not a person. Nobody is saying it is a person. That said, people who state that it outputs nonsense or gibberish kind of bug me because, frankly, I feel my output is less coherent that what GPT4 puts out. I think those that claim those things are misinformed or reacting out of fear. It's like if I trained a cat to speak and people would would come by and tut-tut about the cat not using full sentences and claiming it's not talking because it was only trained to talk. It's still impressive.

Wwith enough playing around with weird prompts you can get GPT to output conceptual relationships with clearly correct associations but reverse, which I find is a really interesting peek at the weirdness of how it thinks.

For example, get GPT 3.5 to talk about the heights of various people and it will inevitably get 'shorter/taller' in reverse at some point.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there an MLA standard for citing ChatGPT yet

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hadlock posted:

Is there an MLA standard for citing ChatGPT yet

I don't know about MLA but there are guidelines from the APA, I'm sure they'll change though once it's put in the actual style guide.

https://apastyle.apa.org/blog/how-to-cite-chatgpt

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just used AI for something work related for the first time ever. Photoshop has some new AI functions and the generative fill is real impressive, got some nice photo but wrong aspect ratio, used PS to expand the canvas and fill in the blanks and the results are actually usable I'd say.

Does the latest version still have the 1024 x 1024 limit? Previously anything beyond that was simply 1024x1024 stretched out.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Tears In A Vial posted:

Does the latest version still have the 1024 x 1024 limit? Previously anything beyond that was simply 1024x1024 stretched out.

wouldve thought itd pipe into an ai image upscaler

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Mescal posted:

Surely you don't take what I was saying as an endorsement of an AI's general factuality? I agree it gives inaccurate results under countless circumstances. And NOBODY'S saying to start citing GPT, that's fantasy y'all came up with.

I didn’t, no

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Here's what happened when I asked chatgpt for jokes about Dwarves.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Next time, post that before the writers’ strikes, save everyone a bunch of trouble. Their jobs are clearly safe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Has anyone tried the premium AI Dungeon recently? Last time I used the free model it was poo poo. I've been using Claude.ai to make my own little custom RPGs since it has the largest context window around. It's pretty drat good at doing text adventures, good enough to pretty much sell the illusion, but I want to have a little separate inventory window, character stats, have it automatically summarize events and goals, have standardized turns, combat that has at least some vague rules associated with it, etc.

If AI Dungeon has improved significantly in the past year then I might give that a shot.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm in a degree program for data science which requires a lot of coding. If I use ChatGPT to help generate code, I'm required to cite the prompt and output.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

credburn posted:

I'm in a degree program for data science which requires a lot of coding. If I use ChatGPT to help generate code, I'm required to cite the prompt and output.

This actually makes a lot of sense as it helps see into your thought process, and honestly you normally are going to iterate a few times "no this doesn't work" how much of the it do you solve yourself? "I think you mean if { not if (" And let's be honest there's a good chance something actually usable will exist at some point in your career like this that is actually usable.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

pixaal posted:

This actually makes a lot of sense as it helps see into your thought process, and honestly you normally are going to iterate a few times "no this doesn't work" how much of the it do you solve yourself? "I think you mean if { not if (" And let's be honest there's a good chance something actually usable will exist at some point in your career like this that is actually usable.

I agree, this makes sense. I like that. One thing I've noticed when coding with GPT is that the context window is your friend. If you ask GPT to generate code and you don't fully know the end point and don't explain yourself, it'll generate a fair number of mistakes sometimes. I suspect that is because it has no real context of anything it's coding. However, if you've done some work already and you put some of the functions or even a rough meta your generated code is to interact with into the chat, the code becomes much, much better. People often forget that GPT is also great at diagnosing code too, particularly if you include an error or unwanted behavior and give the suspected code along with it. It has spotted things, even in embedded applications, that would've gone right over my head and would've had me ripping my hair out.

The one big thing holding it back from being super-useful is its small context window. I think standard GPT4 is 8k tokens, GPT 3.5 has a 16k version available through the API. There is a model for GPT4 at 32k tokens but I can't use it, probably only for corporate customers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GPT4 + Dalle3 is at least fun for "this discord poster has this avatar" and just describe the avatars then throw some quotes from discord and watch the magic happen. Plenty of tokens for that.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Speaking of which, how do we know if we have access to DallE-3 in GPT plus? I have GPT plus and don't see anything and I'm all out of bing boosts. I'd pay money to be able to generate some more images.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tarkus posted:

Speaking of which, how do we know if we have access to DallE-3 in GPT plus? I have GPT plus and don't see anything and I'm all out of bing boosts. I'd pay money to be able to generate some more images.

Open a new window, if you have it it is a dropdown under the model select

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Tunicate posted:

Open a new window, if you have it it is a dropdown under the model select

Ah, yeah. Not yet for me. :(

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hover over this lil guy

efb

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tarkus posted:

Ah, yeah. Not yet for me. :(

It only shows on the website for me, but on mobile if I go into history I can still generate new images it just acts like GPT is talking instead of showing image generating spinning and the prompts. There's no way to browse them as a set you have to click each image on mobile and no way to see the prompt without asking for it. (you can of course hop on web and check in that same chat session)

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yeah, it shows up on nothing. Could be because I'm from Canada. I know google isn't allowing bard in Canada right now because of a tiff they're having.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, it shows up on nothing. Could be because I'm from Canada. I know google isn't allowing bard in Canada right now because of a tiff they're having.

I am in the USA and also dont have DALL E in my plugins, despite having beat features enabled.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

So I now have the GPT-V, The Dall-E3 and now the speech/chat on mobile. Has anyone tried it (the speech) yet? It's.... interesting.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tarkus posted:

So I now have the GPT-V, The Dall-E3 and now the speech/chat on mobile. Has anyone tried it (the speech) yet? It's.... interesting.

I didn’t turn it on as I’m not sure what’s is use it for. What do you use it for that you couldn’t just use voice to text for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

CarForumPoster posted:

I didn’t turn it on as I’m not sure what’s is use it for. What do you use it for that you couldn’t just use voice to text for?

It will actually carry on a dialog with you. It's not great... yet. But that kind of stuff concerns me.