Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

if you liked the big ideas in 3BP I'd suggest Greg Egan (the GOAT, but be forewarned that his work is pretty much all big ideas and very little connective tissue), Ted Chiang, and Greg Bear (his non-IP stuff obviously)

Yeah, I thought of Greg Bear's duology The Forge of God and Anvil of Stars, explores some similar themes. I.e. the first interstellar contact takes the form of a xenocidal attack launched by a paranoid civilization. Then the consequences.

Greg Egan is... I really like his stuff, but I understand he's not for everyone... most "hard SF" writers will come up with an idea based on some half-baked science idea and run with it without looking too hard at the finer details; Egan will bloody well show you his math.

Ted Chiang is in the running for finest short-story writer in the SF field today. He's not very prolific and has not published anything long-form at all, just two collections' worth of short stories so far... but they're very very good short stories.

Groke fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The switch between translators in book 2 is real apparent, that cat sucked, glad they went back to the og for the third

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

not dark forest, but similar depressing take on colony ships being the last humans alive in the universe is Tau Zero by Poul Anderson. scratches the same itch of applied theoretical physics causing a massive change in human society, in this case a colony ship unable to brake once in lightspeed and traveling in time until the galaxy burns out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

if you liked the big ideas in 3BP I'd suggest Greg Egan

Not smart enough, I'm afraid

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

zoux posted:

Not smart enough, I'm afraid

If you've already tried and bounced off his later novels I strongly urge you to check out the short story collection, "Axiomatic." Before Egan started building towering math edifices into his work he still had the one two punch of the wow what a cool idea/ unnerving or horrifying subtext that made 3BP enjoyable. In particular, I think "Learning to Be Me," "The Safe-Deposit Box," and 'Axiomatic' are the best in that collection.

Plus "The Moral Virologist" is a good, clean, funny anti-fundie bash.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

not dark forest, but similar depressing take on colony ships being the last humans alive in the universe is Tau Zero by Poul Anderson. scratches the same itch of applied theoretical physics causing a massive change in human society, in this case a colony ship unable to brake once in lightspeed and traveling in time until the galaxy burns out

great book

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

If you've already tried and bounced off his later novels I strongly urge you to check out the short story collection, "Axiomatic." Before Egan started building towering math edifices into his work he still had the one two punch of the wow what a cool idea/ unnerving or horrifying subtext that made 3BP enjoyable. In particular, I think "Learning to Be Me," "The Safe-Deposit Box," and 'Axiomatic' are the best in that collection.

Plus "The Moral Virologist" is a good, clean, funny anti-fundie bash.

big time agree on this one, axiomatic rips

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Groke posted:

Yeah, I thought of Greg Bear's duology The Forge of God and Anvil of Stars, explores some similar themes. I.e. the first interstellar contact takes the form of a xenocidal attack launched by a paranoid civilization. Then the consequences.

Greg Egan is... I really like his stuff, but I understand he's not for everyone... most "hard SF" writers will come up with an idea based on some half-baked science idea and run with it without looking too hard at the finer details; Egan will bloody well show you his math.

Ted Chiang is in the running for finest short-story writer in the SF field today. He's not very prolific and has not published anything long-form at all, just two collections' worth of short stories so far... but they're very very good short stories.

I read a short story collection by Egan or Bear or perhaps someone else about 20 years ago that I want to revisit, but cannot remember what it was called. I remember one story involved a spaceship avoiding combat by slingshotting around a blackhole but suffering from relatavistic effects, and another story about gas planet aliens who communicate by smell or colour (I think) - it was all mind bending stuff, as most was from the POV of superevolved or alien protagonists. Does anyone know what book I'm looking for?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The black hole sounds like the forever war by Joe haldeman.

Ted Chiang is good, but ... maybe a tiny bit overrated? I feel like his absolutely lovely top tier prose obscures the basically pulp simplicity of his stories, like ooh get to the top of the tower and UR BACK AT THE BOTTOM WOW or where the two super intelligent people have a legitimately cool super brain fight, then one of them wins, oh well . Or Arrival, which does have a good twist but once you clock what's happening structurally and nod to yourself it's a little shrug worthy.

Idk, I will give him another go and maybe I'm missing some layers but he is no Borges, and I think the level of praise had me expecting him to be on that level?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i enjoyed exhalation, pretty much all of the stories were novel and interesting and well written, but yeah, it wasn't lifechanging or anything. i'm happy with "just" a good book though

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah they are Good for sure, I just don't quite get the level of praise he receives. Possibly something to do with having crossover lit cred because he writes well? Coming at something that's been massively praised is always a bit of a crapshoot though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'm so wary of short story books after reading Liu Cixin's crappy short story book.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i'm so wary of short story books after reading Liu Cixin's crappy short story book.

try reading one that isn't by Liu Cixin!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Yeah they are Good for sure, I just don't quite get the level of praise he receives. Possibly something to do with having crossover lit cred because he writes well? Coming at something that's been massively praised is always a bit of a crapshoot though.

he used to work as a journalist, so my guess is that when he started his fiction writing career he already had a rolodex of useful writing industry contacts when it came time to promote his stuff
it's not totally undeserved -- he's pretty good imo -- but I think that's why he blew up so big and so fast despite having an extremely small body of work for an sf writer

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Syenite posted:

The hard sci-fi was neat but I also remember the author being really obviously misogynistic and homophobic in several places so

I liked the books but poo poo like the big alien plan to defeat the humans by literally feminizing all the men with mass media read like Jordan Peterson fever dream.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
You know what? gently caress you. (Removes your capacity to exist in a dimension of depth)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

You know what? gently caress you. (Removes your capacity to exist in a dimension of depth)

Arghghhh myyy dimmmeeennnnnsiooonnnsss

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
That’s my secret, Cap: I’m always two-dimensional.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Famethrowa posted:

Picked this one up last night and reached the 33% mark. I adore the science writing, it manages to be both nerdy hard sciencey and poetic at once

but it has some really (and unintentionally) hilarious characterization and dialogue lol. your average conversation, almost verbatim:

"ah, is that the spaceship? the one which you have been assigned officer to?"
"yes, it is, the same spaceship you are a constable on. however, unlike me, your past remains a mystery"
"indeed. perhaps that is because I am not a Swede, for as we both know, Sweden is head of the new world order after a period of conflict and strife, for Sweden was big enough to enforce order without being too big to be threatening. though the world government is perhaps not as stable as you think"
"perhaps. let us be romantic partners now, for we will need to procreate to sustain a human colony."

but then he gets to talk about space and the prose suddenly turns into "And the Milky Way belted heaven with ice and silver, and the Magellanic Clouds were not vague shimmers but roiling and glowing; and the Andromeda galaxy gleamed sharp across more than a million light-years; and you felt your soul drowning in those depths and hastily pulled your vision back to the snug cabin that held you."

it's actually pretty charming, because you get the sense Poul Anderson just wants to talk about space and spaceships and science stuff, and humans are just the somewhat unnecessary vehicle to get there

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Poul Anderson was an odd duck, sometimes you get these weird political opinions (kind of 1950s-1960s conservative BUT starting from a Scandinavian origin rather than an American one) and sometimes he goes way out poetic. He had several loosely-connected stories set in the future long after a nuclear war, where the less-damaged parts of the planet begin rebuilding civilization... and one of the most advanced and not-horrible future societies is basically Polynesian. That, from a white guy writing in the 1950s-1980s.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My will to finish the series died with the human fleet at the end of book 2 as the alien probe thingy just kool-aid man'd its way through them all in a matter of minutes. I didn't much care for the stilted characters or their motivations and didn't find much of it engaging, so I dipped.

Tau Zero does sound fun so maybe I'll give that a go.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent
I thought that the dark forest analogy was the most interesting part in that it counters the pollyannaish idea of advanced aliens being necessarily peaceful, offers a plausible explanation for the Fermi Paradox, and explores a fundamentally paranoid viewpoint that I believe is characteristic of some portion of Chinese polities. On the other hand, the writing plods along cadaverously (I forgive it for this because it is translated), the characterization is almost non-existent aside from that one cop guy, characters are discarded the moment they are no longer useful, the gender politics are fully reactionary, and many of the science fiction concepts have been done before or are only mind-blowing to a fully stoned person. What if... we made everything 2d? Wow! My pupils are so dilated right now!

I suspect that some of the western attention to this series relates to the explicit criticism of the Cultural Revolution. Some of the story beats might also be designed to appeal to a non-science fiction reading mainstream Chinese readership. On the other hand, I take the opposite view about the Wife Guy: he is charged with saving the world in as mysteriously a way as possible, and so he just fucks around selfishly until even the aliens discount him as a threat, then performs a coup de grace.

Months after reading these, I find myself wondering about series and exactly why I did not enjoy it and whether it is because it conforms to a non-Western story arc or fails to focus on things that I expect it to based on cultural factors. Some of the themes are fully invisible to a western reader, like I perceive that the urban/rural divide is a recurring theme, but there is more there than I am comprehending. Ditto the idea that environmentalism is portrayed as anti-progress or even traitorously anti-humanity, but I don't think I really understand the subtext. I have also read that the series relates to a folk tale about digging a mountain flat over several generations, which as a western reader obviously did not resonate.

e: spellink

friendlyfire fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 1, 2023

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Arrath posted:

My will to finish the series died with the human fleet at the end of book 2 as the alien probe thingy just kool-aid man'd its way through them all in a matter of minutes.

that part whipped rear end

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Given so many people seem to go to bat for these books makes me wonder about the current state of genre fiction.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
You might enjoy this goldmined thread of genre fiction literary critique:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833655

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

Spazzle posted:

Given so many people seem to go to bat for these books makes me wonder about the current state of genre fiction.

When you only read one science fiction book, it's probably pretty mind blowing!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I don't want to say these books were bad, just bland and covering material that had been done many times. Not that books can't retread old ideas in new ways, but they are old ideas.

I always wondered if I was just missing some critical context. Maybe the stilted nature of the story comes from it being an allegory about Chinese society or something. But people never make arguments like that, they just go off about how cool and mind-blowing they found the books.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

theyre good

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

do NOT believe this person, they are prancing on you

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I enjoyed the first book, more or less, and really liked some of the moments of the second book (dark forest concept most especially), but kinda disliked most of the rest of the book. Never got around to the third, I think I started it and didn't see anything I liked.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

one thing that struck me recently is how Three Body uses some hard science trappings, but the drama and setpieces seem to draw from shonen anime and manga in tone.

the attack zipping through all the ships and they seem to explode in unison, the dramatic confrontations with the wallfacers, the relationship between the protags and their adoring wives

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Probably manhua but yeah I can see that.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Probably manhua but yeah I can see that.

fair point. I'm not familiar with manhua beyond cultivation stories, and I know there is some crossover between manga/manhua/manhwa, but shonen probably isn't the right term. (but then manhua adaptations still get called anime?)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Famethrowa posted:

one thing that struck me recently is how Three Body uses some hard science trappings, but the drama and setpieces seem to draw from shonen anime and manga in tone.

the attack zipping through all the ships and they seem to explode in unison, the dramatic confrontations with the wallfacers, the relationship between the protags and their adoring wives

That's actually a really good point.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

Don't forget the melodramatic badass ninja robot that lives in a treehouse and walks around with a katana at all times and slices people in half.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GABA ghoul posted:

Don't forget the melodramatic badass ninja robot that lives in a treehouse and walks around with a katana at all times and slices people in half.

Lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The more I remember about them the more wack these books were

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The more I remember about them the more wack these books were

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

lol goddammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

What adoring wives lol?