Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hey, it’s Chickam time again, and this is our 15th year, yay!

You can watch the hatch, with sound and chat, here:
https://www.youtube.com/@jackshenhouse/live

Want to help support Chickam? Wow, we LOVE you, thanks!
Go to my Jack's Henhouse chicken info site, scroll down to the bottom, and you can click on a big blue Paypal button if you want to make a donation:

http://jackshenhouse.com/

What The Hell Is *Chickam* You Ask?
Why it’s a live webcam feed of baby chicks hatching in my ReptiPro incubator, in my dining room! After the hatch, we’ll move the cam to the brooder box for the next 8 weeks, it will run 24/7, with sound, so you can watch the chicks grow up! You will also hear our family, since the chicks are taking over my dining room for the next 8 weeks.

If you have a question, fire away!

Hope everyone is ready for some hot chick action, ‘cause we’ve got eggs pipped and chicks on the way…

How Many?
This year, we started with 28 in the incubator, a variety of standard and bantam sizes. All of the bantam eggs are from our flock, but this year we bought some mixed-breed eggs from a neighbor in our valley. Unfortunately, when I candled the neighbor’s eggs, most were cracked—it seems he has an egg eater in his flock. So out of the 28 eggs, 25 eggs were from from our flock, the remaining 3 were from our neighbor’s hens.
After ten days I candled the eggs, 10 eggs were duds and were removed. On Lockdown day (three days before hatch) I candled again and removed three more late quitters. Two more eggs are questionable, but I left them in the incubator to give them every chance.

That leaves us with us with 11 eggs that have embryos! 9 are ours, 2 are from the neighbors. So a possible hatch of 11, though it will likely be less than that. Mother Nature ultimately makes the call and sometimes pulls the plug at the last minute. Bantam eggs like to hatch a day or so earlier then the usual incubation period of 21 days, though!

Of these eggs, eggs from Spork #6 (Barred Rock, Chickam class of '21), Sesame #7 (Smokey Pearl, Chickam class of '22) and Brick #4 (bantam Cochin/d'Uccle mix, Chickam class of '19) all have embryos! Only one other bantam egg besides Brick's has an embryo, and it might be a late quitter.

I kinda blame so many duds (and possibly the early quitters) on our extra-harsh and cold winter. Even though we gathered eggs 2-4 times a day, they were always very cold. Several feet of snow on the ground since December 31st, and we still have low 40's days/low 20's nights (I think we've only broken 50 degrees two days since Jan 1).

We're once again using our brooder box that we broke down and built last year:

So Club Flamingo is ‘Go!’

Thanks to two very generous Goons, devicenull and pisciesbobbie we were able to update and add new equipment this year! You can read all about the cool new stuff on my blog:
https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/

Will There Be A Mama Hen This Year?
Nope. Not this year, no one has gone broody. Again, I blame this long-rear end winter that’s been hanging on like an angry ex.

What’s With The Missing Sequential Numbers Of Eggs?
I candled (shined a bright light through each egg in a darkened room to see if there was an embryo inside) the eggs 10 days in and again on day 18 of incubation and removed some duds, that’s why you’ll see a break in the numerical sequence of the eggs.

In addition to being numbered, the neighbor’s eggs are marked with an ‘N’ at the large end of the egg. Also, each egg is marked with an X on one side and an O on the other, this is for us to keep track of which egg was turned every time we turned the eggs—5 times a day for three weeks, by the way, because I wanted no life other than OMG EGGS for the last three weeks.

What’s Taking So Long?! And ICK!
Patience, little one. When chicks hatch they pip first (peck a small airhole), then hours later (sometimes up to 24 hours later) start to ‘unzip’ their shell (peck in a line as they rotate in the shell) then finally kick free all at once. It’s hours of waiting with a sudden payoff at the end, but once they start to unzip they can be out of the shell anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour later—or anywhere in between. And YES, they are icky and slimy and lay around like wet noodles when they first hatch, don’t worry they get cute and fluffy as they dry and get stronger. Also, hatched chicks can be quite rough and step on each other, or flip over onto their backs and have trouble righting themselves—they’ll be okay, no damage is done; so don’t worry. We monitor them carefully and will lend a hand where needed. Ditto for any that require assistance hatching. And chicks will run around and then crash out and sleep HARD--they aren't dead! Once dry and strong we move them and the cam to the brooder box.

NOW FOR THE BEST PART: YOU GUYS GET TO NAME THE CHICKS!
Egg number has no bearing on what name they get, it’s just whoever hatches first gets named first. Post your name suggestions here, ONE per Goon, please--be advised we already have chickens named things like ‘Dinner’, ‘Burger’, etc.--so use your imagination and give us some good/weird/fun chicken names! This year we’re also tossing names of fonts into the hat—Wing Ding, Garamond, etc. If your name suggestion has been used in the past I’ll let you know and you can repost a new name. These are CHICKENS after all, and should have silly names. As each chick hatches we will draw a name for it out of a hat!

I’ll list the eggs that have pipped and hatched here, with their progress and names, mama hen if known is noted. Neighbor’s eggs are marked with an ‘N’ on the end:

#1—Neighbor’s—(Large dark pink/brown)—
#3—Neighbor’s—(Large/medium light brown)—
#4—Brick (Small, tan bantam)—Pipped 4/6 6PM, hatched 10:30PM, named 'Garibaldi', (blue color spot).
#6—Spork (Medium pink/brown)—Pipped 4/7 at 12:30AM, assisted hatch at 6:30PM--has health issues, may not make it.
#7—Sesame (Large dark brown)—
#9—(Large long pointed olive green)—Pipped 4/6 at 3:30PM, hatched 4/7 4:30AM, named 'Brian' 'Mooncake' (purple color spot).
#10—(Large light blue)—
#11—(Medium olive green)—Pipped 4/5, 10:30PM, Hatched 4/6 11:45AM, named 'Imminent Disaster'.
#14—(Medium light blue)—Pipped 4/6 6PM, hatched 8:50PM, named 'Bort Grungus' (Green food color spot).
#17—(Bantam)—Possible late quitter, left in.
#21—(Large/medium dark brown)—
#22—(Large dark pink/brown)—
#23—(Small/medium light tan)—Pipped 4/6 10:40AM, hatched 4/6 at 4:15PM, named 'Scraunch.
#24—(Small/medium light pink/brown)—Pipped 4/5 10:30PM, hatched 4/6 at 2PM, named 'Dubious Intentions'.
#27—(Small/medium light pink/tan) — Possible late quitter, left in.

EDIT: 4/22 Thanks to a local poultry club swap, we now have three NEW chicks! :henget:
Pictures here: https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2023/04/morehens-disease-flare-up.html
The older Polish mix is 'Triffid'
The Silkie frizzle is 'Wingding' by ynohtna
The little splash blue laced red Wyandotte is 'Eggroll' by Spagett

I also picked up 6 bantam calico Cochin (Frizzles and smooth coats) eggs that will go in the incubator for a second round of Chickam!

CHICKAM ROUND 2!
These eggs are *supposed* to hatch Monday, May 15th.
All of these are from our flock, except for one possible Calico bantam Cochin egg, #4.
#4--Calico bantam Cochin, purchased egg, one of the 'maybes'.
#9--Another 'maybe'
#10--Pipped 5/13, 5PM (at the small end of the egg, the wrong end, may need assistance), 5/14 hatched 11:10AM, no assistance needed! Named 'Cao Cao' by Chaosfeather.
#12--
#16--Pipped 5/13, 5PM, unzipping. Hatched 5/14 3:45PM. Named 'Deliciousaurus' by Leperflesh (on behalf of Pickled Tink).
#17--Pipped 5/13, 5PM. Hatched 5/15 12:30AM. Named 'Spam'. Blue leg band on right leg.

BTW—please keep the YouTube chat CLEAN. Lots of kids watch Chickam every year, likely moreso during the pandemic than ever. We have zero tolerance for over-the-top bad language, racism, hate or other things of that nature and will kick & ban anyone not being a decent human being.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Velvet Sparrow posted:

BTW—please keep the YouTube chat CLEAN. Lots of kids watch Chickam every year, likely moreso during the pandemic than ever. We have zero tolerance for over-the-top bad language, racism, hate or other things of that nature and will kick & ban anyone not being a decent human being.

Lol how does racism come up in a chicken hatching chat? Nevermind i know the answer to that.

I remember the first year you did this! Very cool to see the process. Thank you for going through the trouble every year!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
This is cool

If Smugworth really wants my vote for mod they will endorse this thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

N. Senada posted:

This is cool

smugworth dropped out of the running since he couldn't bear the shame of the latest scandal

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

#11 has hatched! :v:
We'll be choosing a name in the next 60 minutes or so.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

smugworth dropped out of the running since he couldn't bear the shame of the latest scandal

My dead zone plan worked, I see

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Name a chick Blaziken, please.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This is legit high-intensity hatch action. I got sucked in right away and now I'm involved.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Once again requesting a chicken be named Space Cop.

Good luck little guys!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Here's what I play at my live events when we have to pause due to technical difficulties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBE9EQ7gXKI

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

HELL YEAHHH CHICKAM!!!
This is my favorite time of the year, let's hope it's going to be a bit better then but with just as brave and cute chicks as last year!!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

new livestream at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GrG4AR-5DY

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Requesting Super Mario as a name

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Did you happen to fix the humidifier issue from last year? I remember there was an issue with like a regulator or something

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

I would like for one of the chicks to be named Stigmartha

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"
Geddy Lee is my name suggestion for another year.

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002
It's not spring until Chickam is streaming!!!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

They’re so EARLY :prepop:

Also yay!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Did you happen to fix the humidifier issue from last year? I remember there was an issue with like a regulator or something

I made all KINDS of changes this year to try and correct what went on in 2021 and 2022. New equipment, took the ReptiPro apart and cleaned it's innards, changed how I handled the eggs, used a higher incubation temperature.
So this year is kind of a test...I wanted to do a small test hatch in January, but our winter was so awful and cold that I couldn't (also we kept getting power outages so it was too unreliable).

I'm kind of clenching my teeth to see how things work out this year, I'm a nervous wreck.

EDIT--#24 is making progress unzipping!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 6, 2023

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Once again requesting a chicken be named Space Cop.

Good luck little guys!

Counterpoint nukie

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#24 is about to hatch!

We have a name for #11!
'Imminent Disaster', named by Wonky Bird! :v:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I would like to suggest Synergy as a name this year.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They made it!! It was a huge judo kick that finally did the job.

I'd like to propose Toobie as a name!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#24 has speed-hatched, and is named 'Dubious Intentions' by one of the kid's friends!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Welcome to the big cruel world little chickens.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I want to pick them up and pet them so bad. :3:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Please name one loss.jpg. TYIA.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'll toss Velvet Vera in the hat.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
I'd like to add JayJay to the hat

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

N. Senada posted:

This is cool

Is it too late to put Smugworth for Moderator in the hat of names

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Yay chicks!

throwing For The Horde into the ring for a name!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#9 has pipped, and #23 is unzipping very quickly!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

One is bustin out right now

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Is it true that chicks breaking out of the shell helps strengthen their bodies and get them flowing, and you shouldn't really help them out unless they're seemingly trapped?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Is it true that chicks breaking out of the shell helps strengthen their bodies and get them flowing, and you shouldn't really help them out unless they're seemingly trapped?

The big reason you don't help unless you have to, is because it's bad to open the incubator during the hatch. Chicks require a minimum of 99.5 degrees and 65% humidity in order to hatch, and opening the 'bator lets all that heat and moisture out.
Luckily the ReptiPro unit we use recovers VERY quickly and gets back up to the right temp/humidity within a minute or so, it's a lot more forgiving.
I help chicks if they've pipped and/or unzipped partway and haven't progressed for hours and are getting too weak to hatch, or if they've pipped at the wrong end of the egg.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

drat 65% does that mean that mother chicken asses are super sweaty on day 21 or something?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The big reason you don't help unless you have to, is because it's bad to open the incubator during the hatch. Chicks require a minimum of 99.5 degrees and 65% humidity in order to hatch, and opening the 'bator lets all that heat and moisture out.
Luckily the ReptiPro unit we use recovers VERY quickly and gets back up to the right temp/humidity within a minute or so, it's a lot more forgiving.
I help chicks if they've pipped and/or unzipped partway and haven't progressed for hours and are getting too weak to hatch, or if they've pipped at the wrong end of the egg.

If 15 years has anybody made the joke "go away I'm 'batin"

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#23 has hatched and is named 'Scraunch' by City of Glompton!

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Please name a chick BORT GRUNGUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Submitting the font name Luminary this year!

Can’t believe there are already three hatched :toot: