Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Well if we're naming like that, I'm going to put Baleful Look into the hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Toxic Mental posted:

drat 65% does that mean that mother chicken asses are super sweaty on day 21 or something?

It means mama hen clamps her butt down tight on those eggs during the last three days, LOL. At that point she stops turning the eggs, which sends a signal to the chicks to rotate into hatch position. She feels the chicks moving around and locks down on the eggs, also once the chicks do the internal pip into the air cell so they can breathe, they start peeping--another motivator for mama hen to tighten her set.

I sincerely hope hens do not have super sweaty asses, I NEVER want to see chicken buttsweat.

VVV It gets weirder. Once I started to learn about chickens and how they hatch eggs...wow.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 7, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It means mama hen clamps her butt down tight on those eggs during the last three days, LOL. At that point she stops turning the eggs, which sends a signal to the chicks to rotate into hatch position. She feels the chicks moving around and locks down on the eggs, also once the chicks do the internal pip into the air cell so they can breathe, they start peeping--another motivator for mama hen to tighten her set.

Dinosaurs are so frickin' weird.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Okay, I just checked the eggs.
#9 had pipped, but now also #4 (Brick's egg) and #14 are pipped! I'm not sure if they'll hatch tonight or tomorrow, though.
As I checked the rest of the eggs, several peeped at me. :v:

I did a quick health check on the three hatched chicks and they all look great, no problems!

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

A CRAB IRL posted:

Please name a chick BORT GRUNGUS

I vote this name. Please name one of them this.

Or name one Eggroll

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Scraunch has discovered that she can cram in behind the hygrometer. DON'T PANIC if you look at the cam and don't see her, or only see part of her. She isn't stuck, and there's nothing back there she can hurt herself on.
She's just being a little weirdo. We're watching her!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Please name a chick Neil Breen and put a little black tank top on them, please and thank you

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I can't help but throw a name into the ring - how about Hubert Von Vestra?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
LOL, Imminent Disaster has changed the settings on the thermometer to Celcius.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

wheatpuppy posted:

LOL, Imminent Disaster has changed the settings on the thermometer to Celcius.

:laugh:

Also, the newly crowned BORT GRUNGUS seems desperate to escape. He's been magnetized to the front of the ReptiPro and drat near leapt into the hand of the person who opened it. I hope he's alright? Very energetic but that egg looked like a bloodbath.

Just want to echo my thanks for doing this. It's always a joy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OH loving sweet it's chickam time! I saw you getting the video ready a few days ago or something. I'm going camping tomorrow though so I'm gonna miss most of the hatching but anyway I hope you'll name a chicken Delicousaurus.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Oh hell yes, best event of the spring!

Name one Thomas Dolby

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#4 has hatched, and is named 'Garibaldi' by my cat is norris!

We're warming up the brooder box and in about an hour the oldest two or three chicks will be moved into it.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 7, 2023

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Velvet Sparrow posted:

#23 has hatched and is named 'Scraunch' by City of Glompton!

:henget: yay Scraunch, happy hatch day :love:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#6, Spork's egg, has pipped!
I checked #9 and expanded her pip a bit, she's fine.

The three oldest chicks: Imminent Disaster (the messy-looking one giving me some quality Stink Eye--I'll clean her up tomorrow), Dubious Intentions (dark chick with tan face) and Scraunch (blindingly blond)--have been removed to the brooder box and are doing great! You can just see the tip of mama flamingo's beak watching over them.
Club Flamingo is open for business!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 7, 2023

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

So what does it mean to have a broody mama hen and how would that work if you had one this year? Do you still keep and hatch them in the incubator and move them over to mama later, or is it all mama butt if one is involved? So would we see a lot of mama butt right now if you had one?
Also, how do you know a mama hen feels like ready to be a mama, what's different about them vs those who want to focus on their career and have enough problems already as it is, so they don't have the financial stability to become a mommy and rather stay alone?

Are there advantages or disadvantages about having a mama hen vs not having one? I assume in nature this couldn't happen/would mean no chicks at all, even though I'm aware chicks are domesticated so their brooding and reproduction cycle is probably a bit altered compared to the wild original hot chicks and fluffy cocks :geoduck:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Club Flamingo is open for business!

So drat cute, even at this stage

VS, how many grown up chickens do you have now?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We're warming up the brooder box and in about an hour the oldest two or three chicks will be moved into it.

yes! My favorite boring font is now a beautiful peeping baby!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Velvet Sparrow posted:

my cat is norris posted:

yes! My favorite boring font is now a beautiful peeping baby!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJ6KDJSma0

Not Babylon 5's Security Chief? :ohdear:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

she can be an homage to BOTH!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Sorry about Chickam going down, but at least it was only our Internet and not the power. Stupid wind. It's back now, and #9 has hatched! A big, noisy redhead, very active! We'll pick a name in a few hours when everyone here wakes up.

All of the chicks are doing great so far!

spookygonk we have 42 adult chickens right now.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Millicent is a quality chick name imo

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Hooray! Chickam again!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

So Bort now has a green food color spot on the top/back of her head--she looked too much like Scraunch--and has been moved to Club Flamingo.

I'm waiting to hear back from the Goon I promised naming rights to for #9. If I don't hear from him by the end of the day I guess we'll choose a name from the hat.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 7, 2023

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
So cuuuute.

Looking forward to Club Flamingo shenanigans.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Too late to throw in names? If not, Hank

Thanks again for the feed and including us in the process!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Please name one Little Alex Horne.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Boo, the two chicks in the incubator are hiding behind the thermometer!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Please name one Little Alex Horne.

This is very good.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Always so happy when chickam season rolls back around. Thanks for doing this again, Velvet Sparrow!

If names are still being thrown in the hat, I'd like to suggest Katsu.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

All six chicks have been moved to Club Flamingo, we still have one unhatched chick left to go, #6. Once she's out of her egg we'll move the cam to the brooder box.
No new pips on the remaining eggs, I'm pretty sure this hatch is done. But the eggs will stay in the ReptiPro through the weekend just in case there are any stragglers.

Since several of the chicks look VERY alike, I've put food color spots on the back of the head/neck of three of them: Garabaldi has blue, Bort Grungus has Green, and #9 (who gets named shortly) has Purple.

All of the chicks are perky and alert, eating and drinking! :v:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Okay, I moved the cam to the brooder box and restarted the stream.

Bad news: #6 was getting pretty badly shrink-wrapped, so I had to get her out of her shell. When I popped her out, her navel still had a bit of yolk sac attached and hadn't fully closed. She was very active, alert and peeping, eyes open, so I cleaned her up the best I could, applied Preparation H (yes, THAT stuff, it helps prolapses like this) to the site and placed her back in the incubator.
Now it's up to her if she'll make it.

Meanwhile, the other six are all in the brooder and doing great.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

:ohdear: I hope she'll make it. I'm sorry, that must have been very stressful to witness. Just when it looked like we were getting through this year without issues, too...

Any chance of random feed store chicks this year like other years past?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Goatse and Gallant posted:

So what does it mean to have a broody mama hen and how would that work if you had one this year? Do you still keep and hatch them in the incubator and move them over to mama later, or is it all mama butt if one is involved? So would we see a lot of mama butt right now if you had one?
Also, how do you know a mama hen feels like ready to be a mama, what's different about them vs those who want to focus on their career and have enough problems already as it is, so they don't have the financial stability to become a mommy and rather stay alone?

Are there advantages or disadvantages about having a mama hen vs not having one? I assume in nature this couldn't happen/would mean no chicks at all, even though I'm aware chicks are domesticated so their brooding and reproduction cycle is probably a bit altered compared to the wild original hot chicks and fluffy cocks :geoduck:

I am not a chicken-haver, but watching this stream in prior years has taught me that you can hatch eggs in an incubator and then sneak the wee fluffballs under a broody hen and she'll just accept them as hers. (See also: the many adorable videos in the Cute thread of hens contentedly roosting on kitten/puppy piles.)

You can tell a broody hen because she'll ... brood. Won't want to get off the nest, chases off other hens, sometimes they sing a special little "I am hatching eggs" song.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

i've been running this in the background this year (it's been a chaotic time, so it's nice to take a break and look at the lil ones) and just wanted to say we know you do your best for all of the little ones, so thank you for taking good care of them and giving them the best opportunity at being happy lil birds.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Thanks everyone. Just once I'd like -zero- Chickam drama, but by now I know it's not to be.

We did check our feed stores for hatchery chicks, but all they have right now is older ones--I think they're wisely avoiding people buying cute fluffy chicks for their kids for Easter, then dumping the half-grown bird somewhere when it's no longer cute or the kid tires of it. Hatchery chicks are handy to help teach the new chicks how to eat, drink and chicken.

BTW, #9 is named 'Brian'! Brian has a purple color spot on the back of her head for ID.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 8, 2023

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

chickens should learn to fly better, imo

waste of wings

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chief McHeath posted:

chickens should learn to fly better, imo

waste of wings

Give'em a week or two and they'll be going on Chicken Adventures trying to escape Club Flamingo.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Upper left corner of the box appears to be Da Hatching Zone for some reason :nyoron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My gf suggested they be named after 'chick flicks,' so please throw Love Actually in the hat for any stragglers.