Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Name one "Pigeon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

#6 is still with us, alert and active, doesn't appear to be in pain or suffering. We'll see how she does today.

The Club Flamingo crew is doing great.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Submitting the name Warren

edit: I love Jacks Henhouse

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 8, 2023

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Well...#6 is still with us, VERY perky, alert and active.

Her prolapse is about 80-90% gone, and I was able to trim away most of the dried umbilicus material. We reapplied the Prep H & gave her a few drops of the vitamin/electrolyte water, which she drank eagerly. For now she's going to stay in the incubator until she's stronger and able to get around better, and I want her navel to be closed before she goes in the brooder box. She sees the other chicks in the brooder and is yelling to join them.

We're not going to name her yet, since she may well have internal issues such as her organs not being fully formed/functioning, so may die no matter what we do.

But I'm cautiously optimistic!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Go #6!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh cool, always enjoy this thread!

Best of luck to #6! We somehow never had one make it out of the shell like that over the years, hope they'll continue recovering.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh cool, always enjoy this thread!

Best of luck to #6! We somehow never had one make it out of the shell like that over the years, hope they'll continue recovering.

This was a first for me, as well. Threw me for a loop, because the kid was out feeding the animals and I didn't want them to see how bad #6 was. I had to stand there knowing I had about 1 minute to make the decision to euthanize #6 or not. It sucked.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Threw this up on the side screen and someone jumped up on the desk two minutes later.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks Velvet Sparrow! I got to see a chick kick out for the first time after all these years.

More wet than I thought.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I'm so happy that #6 hasn't given up yet. I hope she survives. You'll have to name her Jesus Christ or something, considering this all happened over Good Friday.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm so happy that #6 hasn't given up yet. I hope she survives. You'll have to name her Jesus Christ or something, considering this all happened over Good Friday.

Lazarus or my fav, LASER US

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Let #6 be Number Six and seek freedom.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

stab posted:

Lazarus or my fav, LASER US

Cheepsus
Birdgin Mary
Crucichickxion
Communion Wafer
Li'l Christ
Holy Ghost

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

I'll recommend Stigmartha again. Mostly because I can't get it out of my head since it occurred to me.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Love the name suggestions, LOL.

We're moving #6 into her own wire enclosure, just for a day or two until she gets stronger and we're sure the others won't peck at her. She'll have her own food, water and heat lamp.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Love the name suggestions, LOL.

We're moving #6 into her own wire enclosure, just for a day or two until she gets stronger and we're sure the others won't peck at her. She'll have her own food, water and heat lamp.

Name her PatChick McGooHen.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

She's a name, not a number!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Captain Hygiene posted:

Who are you

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XO1pF2IG9I

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

Tiny Myers posted:

Iscariotte -- must you betray me with a peck?

Nameless_Steve fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 9, 2023

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

#6 is so tall!

I see the others are already discovering corn. :love:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Why is the dark chick in the penalty box?

Edit:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Somehow I didn't see this until after I posted.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 9, 2023

Mazenki
Nov 19, 2010
Hooray! Whatever happens, I hope #6 has a good time just being a chicken (and not in the incubator) for a bit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Watching every body chase after a single piece of corn in a conga line is one of many reasons to love chickam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
#6 definitely needs to have her name chosen from her own private pool rather than the general one. Here's hoping she pulls through!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wheatpuppy posted:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Seems to me at this point #6 already has a name everyone recognizes: #6.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Got another Chickam afficionado checking in, I had to push the TV back so she could watch comfortably

I don't recall the can of chicken soup from years past...what's up with that?

e:

coronatae fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 9, 2023

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Someone else was pretty interested for a minute too

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Love it. I don't know why none of the cats we've owned have really cared about the TV, they just ignore anything like bird videos that we've put on. The one exception was one of the younger ones sometimes getting all excited to swat at Mario as he jumped and ran across the screen :v:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Watching every body chase after a single piece of corn in a conga line is one of many reasons to love chickam.

Great picture!

As to the can of soup: one year people were saying they needed something for scale, so I went and just grabbed a can of soup because it's something most people know when it comes to size.

Later I realized it was a can of chicken noodle soup.

Thoroughly unintentional, but now placing one has become Chickam canon.

We're still dosing them with drops of the vitamin ick water. I'll be cleaning #6 up a bit more to remove egg goo. In a bit we'll be taking pictures of the chicks, I'll post a link when they're done. They'll also get vaccinated for Marek's Disease today (it must be done pretty quickly after they hatch), which is SUPER stressful on them. I'll give them mealworms afterwards for an apology/boost.
But expect the chicks to have low activity levels this afternoon into tonight, they'll naturally sleep a lot after all this.

EDIT-- Since Six is so weak, we're postponing vacinations until tomorrow (the stuff is all mixed at once and must be used right away).

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 9, 2023

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I've suggested my stupid name for probably 5 years in a row, and finally big Bort G is making things happen

I am now invested in the life and progress of a chick with a green spot on its head halfway round the planet from me

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Surely #6 will go on to be known as Sixer, yes?

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Foreign Substance posted:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

A CRAB IRL posted:

I've suggested my stupid name for probably 5 years in a row, and finally big Bort G is making things happen

I am now invested in the life and progress of a chick with a green spot on its head halfway round the planet from me

...which is as it should be. :v:

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's pretty good :ocelot:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I've never cheered a sixer so hard

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

If sixer pulls through I am going to need a sixer comedy sixxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CHICKAM SPREE