Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I would like to suggest Synergy as a name this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
LOL, Imminent Disaster has changed the settings on the thermometer to Celcius.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Goatse and Gallant posted:

So what does it mean to have a broody mama hen and how would that work if you had one this year? Do you still keep and hatch them in the incubator and move them over to mama later, or is it all mama butt if one is involved? So would we see a lot of mama butt right now if you had one?
Also, how do you know a mama hen feels like ready to be a mama, what's different about them vs those who want to focus on their career and have enough problems already as it is, so they don't have the financial stability to become a mommy and rather stay alone?

Are there advantages or disadvantages about having a mama hen vs not having one? I assume in nature this couldn't happen/would mean no chicks at all, even though I'm aware chicks are domesticated so their brooding and reproduction cycle is probably a bit altered compared to the wild original hot chicks and fluffy cocks :geoduck:

I am not a chicken-haver, but watching this stream in prior years has taught me that you can hatch eggs in an incubator and then sneak the wee fluffballs under a broody hen and she'll just accept them as hers. (See also: the many adorable videos in the Cute thread of hens contentedly roosting on kitten/puppy piles.)

You can tell a broody hen because she'll ... brood. Won't want to get off the nest, chases off other hens, sometimes they sing a special little "I am hatching eggs" song.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Love the name suggestions, LOL.

We're moving #6 into her own wire enclosure, just for a day or two until she gets stronger and we're sure the others won't peck at her. She'll have her own food, water and heat lamp.

Name her PatChick McGooHen.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I don't remember if I put in a suggestion earlier, but I would like to submit Arc Reactor for this naming round.