Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I can't help but throw a name into the ring - how about Hubert Von Vestra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

wheatpuppy posted:

LOL, Imminent Disaster has changed the settings on the thermometer to Celcius.

:laugh:

Also, the newly crowned BORT GRUNGUS seems desperate to escape. He's been magnetized to the front of the ReptiPro and drat near leapt into the hand of the person who opened it. I hope he's alright? Very energetic but that egg looked like a bloodbath.

Just want to echo my thanks for doing this. It's always a joy.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

:ohdear: I hope she'll make it. I'm sorry, that must have been very stressful to witness. Just when it looked like we were getting through this year without issues, too...

Any chance of random feed store chicks this year like other years past?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I'm so happy that #6 hasn't given up yet. I hope she survives. You'll have to name her Jesus Christ or something, considering this all happened over Good Friday.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

stab posted:

Lazarus or my fav, LASER US

Cheepsus
Birdgin Mary
Crucichickxion
Communion Wafer
Li'l Christ
Holy Ghost

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I haven't seen Hubris this interested in my screen since she was a kitten.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Chaosfeather posted:

Although short, her life was much more comfortable and full of love than many others. Thank you for doing your best.
This.

Thank you for trying. I'm glad she got to spend time with her siblings and stomp on mealworms and have cozy little naps while spread out on a lens-cleaning cloth like a picnic blanket. I'm glad you gave her a chance.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

The chickens are cute there I said it

:mods:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Vampire chicks confirmed :ohdear:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I love when they do the heron thing.

mmm normal chicken here I wonder what it'll do-

ZOOP

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

A CRAB IRL posted:

MORE CHICKS

:hai:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god :neckbeard:

That feisty little Silkie!! That absolute tumbleweed of a mama hen!! And a new hatch?! It's Christmas in April!!!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Cannot wait for Swiffer Pix. Love this absolute mop of a chicken. #TeamSwiffer

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

And photo (if not video) evidence must be provided if you don't want to be reported :hai:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

What do you do with the eggs that don't have embryos? Do you eat them or throw them away?

In general, do you eat the eggs from your flock? How do they compare to normal eggs?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Thank you so much for the continued updates and pics. I know you mentioned Chickam is expensive - is it possible that you could set up a donation page for folks to chip in? Especially if it meant more hatches this year... :laugh: but even if it didn't, it's given me so much joy over the years that I'd love to throw in :10bux:.

Also, requesting even more updated pics of Swiffer now that she's recuperated and is enjoying her time as a spoiled hen :kimchi:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

God she looks so soft and fluffy, thank you so much for the update. I'm so glad she has a big buff boyfriend, too.

Honestly even if she never regrows her head feathers, it's kind of a nice look with the feathers around her neck looking like a high collar. Somewhere between an elegant baroness and a turkey vulture.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Velvet Sparrow posted:

*sigh...*Their first night out with the adult flock, and this morning we found Scraunch hanging upside down by one foot, she'd hooked it in the roost (don't ask me how!). She's now in the brooder box, recovering. Some scrapes, nothing seems broken. She's an unhappy girl, though. Resting & sleeping, she's had electrolytes and has a dish of assorted goodies in front of her.
Gonna just mostly let her rest.
Idiot chickens.:derp:

Seems unlikely that a chicken could do that to themselves on their own. If you ask me, it sounds like...

:crossarms: Fowl play.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Velvet Sparrow posted:

They do bond--and conversely, decide they suddenly HATE THAT ONE GRAY HEN, fight for three days and then forget all about it.
But they form new attachments quickly in whatever flock they end up in. A Head Rooster will have a Head Hen (it's never his choice, SHE decides she's top dog), and once in a while they really get along well and genuinely care for each other. It's very sweet.

Awwwwww.

Can you tell us more about affectionate chickens and what kind of attention they enjoy? Do they enjoy scratches on the head, the wings, et cetera? Any areas that are like "absolutely not" for most chickens, or chickens who had really weird places they liked being touched (or weird things they enjoyed in general)? Are they as warm and soft to hug as they look?

Were it not for my cat and my ADHD I would definitely have gotten some kind of pet birds, I think. I just wanna go to someone's farm and snuggle the birds.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The thing chickens enjoy most is FOOD. Live mealworms are honest to God like Crack for chickens, they go insane for them. I tried the dried ones for my birds and they wouldn't touch 'em.
They like being cuddled in your lap and petting more than scritches (weird because parrots LOVE scritches). You have to use one arm to support the bird because as you pet them, they completely relax, close their eyes and almost pass out, and will slide off your lap otherwise. Chickens also love to sit in your lap and hog all of your attention, setting up a perimeter of MINE so other chickens like to jump up and oust them. You get to see the pecking order in full swing, there. All an upper chicken has to do is give that uppity youngster in your lap a single look, and they scramble to get down.

'Absolutely NOT' is the fluffy buttage area--the vent. Whenever we do have to do anything back there in No Man's Land, the hen will turn and give us SUCH a look of disbelief.

Chickens are 100% as warm, soft and fluffy as they look. Holding one and petting it is the best stress reliever I know. Knocks a bad day right outta the park.

EDIT--The brooder box has been revamped, the chicks have a LOT more room to chase around now!
I didn't reply to this earlier because honestly I couldn't think of a reply that isn't this, and usually SA frowns on low-effort posts like reaction images:

Just wanted to say thank you for satisfying my chicken curiosities. I wanna pet a chicken so loving bad. TBH especially with how stressed people are in today's society, farms should just let you pay $20 to come chill with their animals for an hour. I guess I'm describing a petting zoo but I think the ones around here are mobile petting zoos that come to your party or whatever (and are understandably expensive).

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Do you have any pics you'd like to share of your grown-up chickens? :kimchi: I'd love to see the infamous Bobbie. It's okay if they're not fancy and posed for the camera, I'm just fascinated by Chicken Life.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I'm sorry for all the chickam trauma you've had to go through these past few years.

Like, I imagine it's impossible not to bond to a chick you have to hand-feed every 2 hours for literal months. I can't imagine how difficult it was to have this happen right when she seemed to be getting better. Especially after what you went through with #6. :smith:

I mean, I'm sure you've had things like this happen before as a result of livestock life just kind of being like that, but... yeah. I just... imagine there are times it's really hard. Certainly more than I could handle. Thank you for doing everything you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Seconding that Chickam has helped me a lot over the years and anyone who can donate absolutely should, Velvet Sparrow is the best.