Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

OldAlias posted:

off by 1 oop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OldAlias posted:

alley oop

ban this fool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I still do real work for a living but I'm also in charge of a team and it sucks when everyone above you is actively hostile to the staff everything depends on. Hierarchy really seems to engender sociopathy.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i agree with everything that’s already been said, and will add two points:

first, be sure you’ll actually enjoy (or not hate) the job. giving up hands-on work would bore me too much, so i’m in a hybrid role where i have 2 direct reports but am still able to dedicate some time to working on stuff myself. if i didn’t — if i had, say, 5 or more direct reports — i would feel substantially more frustrated and less fulfilled. the right balance is different for everyone

second, be prepared to lose sometimes. you can have the absolute best intentions as a manager, but sometimes higher ups will override you, or give you circumstances that make it possible to succeed. feels bad, but that’s how it is. i try to act as a shock absorber for my reports in those cases but you can definitely burn yourself out trying to be too protective

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I went from being purely tech focused in one of our three products sets, to director for the entire region. I am responsible for training, mentoring, transformation, all estimates, customer lunch and learn dealies, dropping in to fix everything technically and politically when someone fucks up or just reaches their limits and seemingly 1000 other things besides

all of this is why yesterday I cycled until my legs would not function and today I’m having manic/pedi, facial, massage, acupuncture and cupping before I go home, roast a chicken and make some delicious pea soup I can alternately survive on during the week, before going to the gym and then sleeping

what I’m trying to say is ohmyfuckinggodsomeonesavemefromthis

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

why

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Assuming that is directed to me, the answer is :10bux:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can only assume cupping is .. like .. hmm how do I say this without directly mentioning your testes .. hmm idk. I can only assume it means someone gently cupping your balls

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I can only assume cupping is .. like .. hmm how do I say this without directly mentioning your testes .. hmm idk. I can only assume it means someone gently cupping your balls

it means someone creating a vacuum in a cup, by using fire or mechanical means, then taking said vacuum cup and sticking it to your body

First it looks like this

then it looks like this

e: but that thing you mentioned works too

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
coping through cupping: a management story

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m a manager

matti
Mar 31, 2019

cupping is to draw blood

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

matti posted:

cupping is to draw blood
code:
        /
       /
      /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

shitface posted:

it means someone creating a vacuum in a cup, by using fire or mechanical means, then taking said vacuum cup and sticking it to your body

First it looks like this

then it looks like this

e: but that thing you mentioned works too

this looks dumb as hell — signed.