Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I stopped taking Adderall 15 days ago because there has been an ongoing national shortage for almost a year that has lead to me spending 2-3 days going through withdrawal every month plus my psych's office was a huge pain in the rear end to deal with and got even worse, and I haven't been able to do anything for those 15 days except sit and stare off into space and make a post occasionally. This allegedly clears up after week 3 but it's really lovely

I still smoke a weed though, a lot of a weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

credburn posted:

I've never heard anyone addicted to weed but here I am smoking more than anyone I've ever heard of, and I can't seem to stop. I don't even get high, or even stoned really; I just no longer feel the urge to smoke. I am sure it's hosed up my memory, my brain. I can't stop, and will probably be the first to die from some THC overdose.

There's been a whole lot of studies showing addictive properties of weed ever since the average potency and availability shot through the roof. It's hard to get addicted when you're smoking hippie-grade reggie 24/7 but when you're chuffing 10x extracts every 15 minutes or whatever it's much more clear.

This paper is 5 years old now but it's a good look at how all this super insane potency extract stuff isn't very good for us overall
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6312155/

quote:

The marijuana of old used to be classified as a hallucinogen and was thought to not cause addiction because there was no identified withdrawal syndrome. This has changed and with the increased potency of THC there is a definite recognized withdrawal syndrome which includes increased anger, irritability, depression, restlessness, headache, loss of appetite, insomnia and severe cravings for marijuana.9 It has been reported that 9% of those who experiment with marijuana will become addicted; 17% of those who start using marijuana as teenagers will become addicted; and 25–50% of those who use daily will become addicted.10 A 2015 study carried out in the UK found that high-potency cannabis use is associated with increased severity of dependence, especially in young people.11

The average THC content of weed in the 60s and 70s (when most studies on weed addiction were done) was 2%, and these days we're smoking poo poo that's anywhere from 20% (flower) to 60%+ (extracts like RSO), and that's not even taking increased availability into account.

e: I have also always struggled to stop smoking weed and had severe anxiety and nausea issues whenever I quit. I don't think I've been able to go longer than one day without getting high for the last ~15 years, during which time I have mostly been high 24/7. I recently threw away my pipe and switched to a different lovely piece that can only do very very tiny bowls and wastes a ton of weed in the process and it sucks poo poo and I can't really get high but it has forced me to cut way the gently caress back. It gets me juuuust high enough to get rid of the nausea without ever making me feel "high"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 11, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

This paper is 5 years old now but it's a good look at how all this super insane potency extract stuff isn't very good for us overall
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6312155/

Also I want to point out that this paper is not saying "weed is bad and dangerous", it's saying "the commercialization of weed is bad and dangerous", capitalism incentivizes the uptick in potency and in frequency of use, and largely the weed that we are being sold these days is weed that was scientifically designed to get us high as gently caress and to make us want more (by being memorably-potent), and that competition for higher potency has led to the prevalence of dangerously-potent products. Old studies and knowledge about the safety of weed were used to relax regulations for the weed that's sold today, even though it is, to quote my friends and I 10 years ago, "more like weed crack for weed crackheads" (I say this lovingly as someone who gets high as gently caress every day). And, well, actually what the paper is really about is how we need to change that attitude because the perceived safety of it is drawing adolescents to it and it is proven at these potencies to be negatively impactful on the actual physiological brain growth and development of people under the age of 25-30.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 11, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

Right, mostly I just didn't know that there could be actual physical withdrawal symptoms

There's all kinds of wild stuff that happens these days because of crazy strong weed, like Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome where after ingesting too much weed for too long it builds up in your digestive tract and makes you vomit so frequently that you develop a phobia of vomiting and get severely dehydrated until you stop using it and can literally kill you from dehydration and electrolyte imbalance if you don't
https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/c/cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome.html

It's not understood why it only affects some people, but it's a very real thing

e: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29768651/
Here is the paper about people dying from smoking too much weed while having CHS

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 11, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Every single person I know who got into vape carts eventually had to stop using them because they made their lungs hurt like hell. I don't think that's necessarily popcorn lung but I'll never touch a vape cart again