Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Here's a couple I half-remember.

One is about a semi-random freedom fighter in Roman times who randomly impressed a brother/sister pair, then eventually woos the sister but feels embarrassed about having a lower status or whatever. Meanwhile the protag's sickly sister romances a Roman soldier behind her brother's back, which pisses him off because he loving hates Romans but eventually the book ends with the brother inviting the Roman guy over to gently caress his sister.

Another is some random middle-class woman in medieval times being bored with everything because she's too smart or whatever, then realizing her soulmate was the stable boy who lost toes to frostbite because he was the only other person in the universe to really notice the crucifixion of Christ, and also some random important guy decides to marry them together and give them some land to save the world or whatever.

Also I remember some dipshit magician guy recruiting people, including a random woman turned love interest who is actually a princess at the end because why not.

I don't actually care to remember what these books are since I'll never revisit them, but if you want to reminisce about books you barely remember and want to talk about them, this thread is as good as any!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
I remember reading a short story in middle school about a guy who's traveling and comes upon a bed-and-breakfast run by an old woman whose hobby is taxidermy. At the end of the story, it's implied that the old woman has been poisoning her guests with cyanide and stuffing their bodies. The story ends with the guy drinking poisoned tea that smells faintly of almonds. I can't remember the name of the story or if it was any good, but that's how I know that cyanide smells like almonds. I could probably Google it easily enough, actually.

Fake edit: "The Landlady," by Roald Dahl.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I remember reading a short story in middle school about a guy who's traveling and comes upon a bed-and-breakfast run by an old woman whose hobby is taxidermy. At the end of the story, it's implied that the old woman has been poisoning her guests with cyanide and stuffing their bodies. The story ends with the guy drinking poisoned tea that smells faintly of almonds. I can't remember the name of the story or if it was any good, but that's how I know that cyanide smells like almonds. I could probably Google it easily enough, actually.

Fake edit: "The Landlady," by Roald Dahl.

Holy gently caress I think I read this one at some point, it actually sounds familiar.

I read a ton in my school years, both for fun and for assignments. A lot of them I've long since forgotten, but I can think of two that stuck with me in vague ways. Alas Babylon by Pat Frank, about a small town in the aftermath of nuclear war. And The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen, about a Jewish girl who time travels to learn of the Holocaust. The latter I had forgotten the name of until a goon thread helped me with it a few years ago.

I think the first I read for an assignment and the second I read on my own, but it's interesting what stuck in my ADHD-addled brain and what didn't.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
A few years ago, I had the pleasure of finding my half-remembered otherwise-forgotten reading. I'd read it in 8th grade at a school librarian's recommendation, in the year our school adopted Accelerated Reading, and I didn't especially care for it. I wasn't much of a reader, and had exactly no interest in YA, especially the YA of 1995-96. But I had vague memories of that book, about a girl and an alien sneaking around a spaceship, and after some searching, found Alien Secrets by Annette Curtis Krause. It wasn't half bad!

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
There was a CYOA where a family moved into a small town where, unbeknownst to the family, once a year the dead would rise and tear apart the flesh of some living. They didn't kill and eat every human being that they came across, there was a segment with the reader/their sibling going to school among the living dead, but they did kill quite a few. I remember a segment where the protagonist had to hide in the bathroom stall while they reached up from underneath. I think it was called Ghoul Day or something but searches dont bring anything up.

It was a pretty grim book, I tried to find the happiest ending and the best in terms of fewest deaths was where only the mother turned into a ghoul.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
My middle-school library was pretty crap for actual books, but great if you were the weird kid who liked reading musty-smelling Readers Digests from 1941-1943. The two books I actually remember reading there were: A Rag, A Bone, and A Hank of Hair, which I was obsessed with so I reread it a bunch and practically memorized it; and a book that I *think* was called Divorced, Beheaded, Died. I dont remember anything at all about that one except that it's where I learned the litany of Henry VIII's wives and that basically every woman at the time was named Anne or C/Katherine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I read it in elementary, not middle school, but I read a book about a kid who gets stuck in a time loop at summer camp and goes through a bunch of possibilities to "solve" the loop and then it turns out the reason he had to keep repeating the day was just because he promised his mom he'd brush his teeth but hadn't been brushing his teeth

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just remembered The Whipping Boy existed thanks to this thread. A total Prince and the Pauper knockoff.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

We read House of the Scorpion in middle school but gun to my head I know nothing about it.

Someone in another thread mentioned The Cheese Stands Alone which flipped a switch in my brain. I looked it up on Wikipedia and drat that poo poo was wilder than I remember

Also one of the first dense books I read was about a girl who gets kidnapped by pirates or something and then is eventually accepted among them or something. There's definitely a lot of books like this now but I do wish I could remember this one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Doc Fission posted:

We read House of the Scorpion in middle school but gun to my head I know nothing about it.

This is the one with drug lord making clones for replacement organs I think. Tex-Mex Never Let Me Go

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Doc Fission posted:

Someone in another thread mentioned The Cheese Stands Alone which flipped a switch in my brain. I looked it up on Wikipedia and drat that poo poo was wilder than I remember

Also one of the first dense books I read was about a girl who gets kidnapped by pirates or something and then is eventually accepted among them or something. There's definitely a lot of books like this now but I do wish I could remember this one.

That pirate girl one might be The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

wheatpuppy posted:

That pirate girl one might be The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi.

Googled this and one of the covers looks extremely familiar! I'll check it out. I read it in 5th grade and I remember liking it but could never fully remember the title or anything so hopefully it's this one. Thanks :)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I read a book in like 5th grade about someone making friends with someone from 'another dimension' or something. the person from another dimension was mostly invisible and unnoticeable, but for some reason, when they stepped into a pool, people could see their outline in the water. Read it in 1995 or so.

Any clues anyone?

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

Some book about a kid with a gambling problem and eventually he gambles away his finger or something.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
First, an elementary-aged book. It was about a kid who owned some sort of toy castle set, only the knight toy came alive and I think they did a portal fantasy into the castle and... defeated an evil mage or something? Literally the only scene I remember with any clarity is the knight sitting on a toy chest with his back against a wall so that he couldn't be ambushed, and the boy was like "wow being a knight sounds so cool, i'm going to be that when i grow up"

Second, more of a YA book. It was fantasy, but not high fantasy because it focused on dark magic characters and maybe was set on earth. I think the main character might have literally been Satan who was raising a half-daughter lol. Two things I remember:

1. The magic system was jewel- and level-based. The darker and "deeper" you'd go down a jewel the more powerful the magic, and if you dove too quickly you'd shatter the jewels and uhh that'd be bad, I think

2. The names were insane and incredibly embarrassing, even to an edgy high school nerd. I think there was a character named something like Daemon Satan Lucifer, and he had a brother named Gabriel Darkness Lucifer, or some combination of those words.

Much later in life I "read" My Immortal and I'm like 60% sure that the fanfic was partially inspired by this book I'm describing, though my book was more emo than gothic, if those terms mean anything anymore. I associate it strongly with the bands AFI and Evanescence

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

WarpDogs posted:

First, an elementary-aged book. It was about a kid who owned some sort of toy castle set, only the knight toy came alive and I think they did a portal fantasy into the castle and... defeated an evil mage or something? Literally the only scene I remember with any clarity is the knight sitting on a toy chest with his back against a wall so that he couldn't be ambushed, and the boy was like "wow being a knight sounds so cool, i'm going to be that when i grow up"

Second, more of a YA book. It was fantasy, but not high fantasy because it focused on dark magic characters and maybe was set on earth. I think the main character might have literally been Satan who was raising a half-daughter lol. Two things I remember:

1. The magic system was jewel- and level-based. The darker and "deeper" you'd go down a jewel the more powerful the magic, and if you dove too quickly you'd shatter the jewels and uhh that'd be bad, I think

2. The names were insane and incredibly embarrassing, even to an edgy high school nerd. I think there was a character named something like Daemon Satan Lucifer, and he had a brother named Gabriel Darkness Lucifer, or some combination of those words.

Much later in life I "read" My Immortal and I'm like 60% sure that the fanfic was partially inspired by this book I'm describing, though my book was more emo than gothic, if those terms mean anything anymore. I associate it strongly with the bands AFI and Evanescence
I know this isn't the "ID that book" thread, but I am gonna guess Castle in the Attic and Anne Bishop's Jewel series, respectively.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I read it in elementary, not middle school, but I read a book about a kid who gets stuck in a time loop at summer camp and goes through a bunch of possibilities to "solve" the loop and then it turns out the reason he had to keep repeating the day was just because he promised his mom he'd brush his teeth but hadn't been brushing his teeth

I love this sort of obnoxious shaggy-dog kidlit. It makes me think of this Bruce Coville story where some kids are getting stalked by a monster and finally end up cornered, and then it turns out one of the kids left their jacket somewhere earlier in the day, and the monster has been chasing them down to give it back, with a big "your JACKET, kid :rolleyes:" reaction.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I remember reading some very weird drama about teenagers which was different from anything I had read before - fairly certain it was a sort of proto-YA book. I think it had a character called Lydia in it?

There was also a series where (some) people could turn into a animals. The first couple of books it was like mice and rabbits and stuff. But then it went off the rails and became vampires and unicorns. This was definitely YA, and I remember even back then realising the scenes where everyone stood around talking and occasionally attacking each other were bad.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
When I was in 5th grade the class read a book about a wagon train party getting slaughtered and the book is written from the perspective of a brother and sister, and all I remember was the graphic depictions of the dead bodies during the first chapter. What a cool book for kids!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

On like 6th grade for a book report, I wanted to read a James Bond novel - my dad had all the Bond books and the titles called to me even before I knew who James Bond was. My teacher was like "Uhhh, it might be a little too grown-up for you, but if your parents are cool with it, ok" and my dad hadn't read them in years and was just like whatever.

Anyway the only thing I remember from the book was a naked, oiled up lady dancing and grinding on a big hand until the hand was all lubed up too.

I think it was The Man With the Golden Gun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Antivehicular posted:

I love this sort of obnoxious shaggy-dog kidlit. It makes me think of this Bruce Coville story where some kids are getting stalked by a monster and finally end up cornered, and then it turns out one of the kids left their jacket somewhere earlier in the day, and the monster has been chasing them down to give it back, with a big "your JACKET, kid :rolleyes:" reaction.

I had no idea it was a thing lol. I think I only read the one

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I read most of the A Series of Unfortunate Events books as a kid and I remember nothing about them! All that's left is a vague feeling that it was an alright book series.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

cheetah7071 posted:

I had no idea it was a thing lol. I think I only read the one

There were at least 2, "Help I'm Stuck in the First Day of" -Summer Camp and -School.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

I read most of the A Series of Unfortunate Events books as a kid and I remember nothing about them! All that's left is a vague feeling that it was an alright book series.

It was sick. He loses his mind in book 5 and it becomes like, YA Lost.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

There was a book we read in class when I was quite young that I wish I could remember the name of because it was the first time I ever encountered the idea that writers could put layers of meaning into their work.

It was something about a boy wizard/mage fighting some big evil guy, or maybe he ended up in a magical world from his normal world; I really don't remember the details except that the kid's name was Grey and/or his eyes were grey or something. My teacher made a big deal about how important grey was to this world and how that represented the conflict between good and evil. It was the first time in my life a teacher ever approached a book from something beyond the literal plot.

I was completely incredulous and argued with him (arguing with a teacher! :ohdear: ) because grey was just a colour, his name was just his name, and authors couldn't possibly put all this hidden meaning into the words they wrote like that - why wouldn't they just say it? How could they even write if they had to put all this extra stuff into every sentence? :colbert:

I so clearly remember how shocked and almost outraged I was about the idea that there could be hidden meaning in books and that authors would deliberately conceal important things without just saying them.

Achievement Award
Mar 22, 2023

When I was in the 7th grade, I found a paperback in the school library with a spooky ghost illustration on the cover that had an innocuous/forgettable title like "ghost stories" or "tales of the supernatural" or something, but which turned out to be a collection of extremely hosed up ghost sex/torture erotica. I remember reading it very intently over lunch period (appalled, of course), then the bell ringing out of nowhere.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Enfys posted:

It was something about a boy wizard/mage fighting some big evil guy, or maybe he ended up in a magical world from his normal world; I really don't remember the details except that the kid's name was Grey and/or his eyes were grey or something. My teacher made a big deal about how important grey was to this world and how that represented the conflict between good and evil. It was the first time in my life a teacher ever approached a book from something beyond the literal plot.

I remember that one. It was British, and the first time I came across their spelling of tire. I recall nothing else.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I remember reading The Chrysalids back at school. I don't recall much about it, really. Mostly that it was post-apocalyptic and mutants were shunned by the non-mutants, but the protagonist teen left home to side with the mutants and... they escaped to New Zealand at the end, I think?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

At some point in childhood (more probably elementary school but don’t really remember when) I read a series of unsubtle Christian fantasy stories about a kid who got a magic flying bicycle representing his moral innocence or some poo poo, which the sinister forces of Satan (represented by a shady guy who took orders from an evil telephone) wanted to take from him.

I don’t really remember much about this except for one scene where the shady guy failed to steal the bike one too many times, and the evil telephone started to tell him how bad he was at his job and how his rear end was on the line, so he threw it out the window where it immediately exploded. For some time after this I was very loath to answer the phone

This is also kind of mixed up in my head with Michael Chabon’s Summerland, a no doubt deeply personal magical-realist tome about being really into comparative mythology and baseball as a kid. I liked the gods and stuff but the baseball was a turn off.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 11, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There were a whole bunch of "James bond but for kids books" that were very popular and I enjoyed a lot, the author even visited our school and gave a talk. The plots were all about some kid who was a super spy with lots of gadgets and stuff. I think he eventually became more successful writing some other sort of book or something.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There was one book that I only had on audiobook book but listened to a million times in the car, my parents must have hated it. It was about a school (maybe?) where the bad guys were teaching the children fake science in order to ?????

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

There was a well-loved compilation volume of ghost stories in the 6th-grade-and-up section of the library at my K-8 elementary school which had had its binding replaced at some point. On the replacement cover, a former student-volunteer librarian had drawn a fairly capable cartoon ghost with a sharpie, and inscribed the title as "Gosts, Gosts, Gosts"

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009
So many of these, except I remember the titles more often than the plots. Looking back, I guess I read lots of fantasy.

the "My Teacher Is an Alien" series (esp. "My Teacher Fried My Brains") -- just like it says on the tin, as far as I recall

The "Dark is Rising" series -- chosen one must stop evil... somehow. My main memory is that it makes Wales and the Welsh language sound cool

The Indian in the Cupboard (which ended up being a series too?) -- a boy's plastic toys coming to life, eventually morphing into like somehow the boy could also get teleported/time-traveled back to the Wild West where the real people inhabiting his toys were being transsubstantiated from? At one point his consciousness is inserted into a teepee?

The Magic Grandfather -- this was sad, maybe, somehow? The grandfather was definitely magic in one way or another.

The Gift of Magic -- was this Lois Duncan? master of preteen drama and thrillers?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

coldtaxi posted:

The Indian in the Cupboard (which ended up being a series too?) -- a boy's plastic toys coming to life, eventually morphing into like somehow the boy could also get teleported/time-traveled back to the Wild West where the real people inhabiting his toys were being transsubstantiated from? At one point his consciousness is inserted into a teepee?

Had forgotten about that one, but can now distinctly remember the cover. There was one of those green toy soldiers too I think

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I read a poo poo ton of hardy boys, but I remember nothing other than that they were ghost written and that one (I think there were 2 regulars?) of their friends was named Chet Morton. I don't even remember the main characters names.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I read a poo poo ton of hardy boys, but I remember nothing other than that they were ghost written and that one (I think there were 2 regulars?) of their friends was named Chet Morton. I don't even remember the main characters names.

Frank and Joe

Chet is the fat guy. The other buddy is Biff iirc

Iola is Chet’s sister who Joe dates. In an edgy 90s reboot of the Hardy Boys which I once read in a bed and breakfast, she is killed by a car bombing in the first chapter and the Hardy Boys go on a campaign of bloody revenge.

I read a lot of these. Most very forgettable. My school library had kept up with the series through the ages, it was like a slice into the recent history of chapter book publishing formats. My favorite was the jersey devil one I think. Not sure why

I’ve heard that the early books are noir-inspired and anti-cop and some of them were later redacted to be more pro-establishment. A lot were also Sax Rohmer level racist

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Antivehicular posted:

I semi-remember Bruce Coville having some interesting/entertaining stuff. The only semi-specific thing that stayed with me though was I think a short story from one of his "scary" anthologies. Some kid is in a snowstorm and wishes that the snow would never stop, and it gets granted. It snows and snows and piles up and the adults are despairing and I think it was left inconclusive but you could assume that everyone either froze to death or suffocated in snow-buried houses. Kind of a Twilight Zone ending for a kid's story.

Edit: Did some googling, was "Snow" in Book of Nightmares 2 and was actually written by Al Sarrantonio.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

wheatpuppy posted:

I know this isn't the "ID that book" thread, but I am gonna guess Castle in the Attic and Anne Bishop's Jewel series, respectively.

you nailed both. I'll grab a copy of the former for my kid, but I wish the latter had remained a title I had forgotten lol. reading the plot summary of the books is unlocking memories that probably should have stayed dead

the good news is that the names are somehow way more ridiculous than I remembered

my god

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I have heard grown people very earnestly discuss the Black Jewels books and I don't know how they can fuckin' do it. Just... how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
As a kid in the school library I found a novelisation of the movie Seven, but like a really slim one with a writing style for like YA readers. I'd never seen Seven and it was kind of hosed up. I remember thinking it was a really weird thing to find at age 11 on the shelf next to the loving Iron Giant