Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

skasion posted:

At some point in childhood (more probably elementary school but don’t really remember when) I read a series of unsubtle Christian fantasy stories about a kid who got a magic flying bicycle representing his moral innocence or some poo poo, which the sinister forces of Satan (represented by a shady guy who took orders from an evil telephone) wanted to take from him.

I don’t really remember much about this except for one scene where the shady guy failed to steal the bike one too many times, and the evil telephone started to tell him how bad he was at his job and how his rear end was on the line, so he threw it out the window where it immediately exploded. For some time after this I was very loath to answer the phone

And there were also scary evil bicycles that were powered by animal sacrifices. And there were Hellraiser demon chains.

Book 3 spent most of its time infodumping the mechanics of a demonic social credit ranking system and the conflict was about the new protagonist having to choose between his Jesus bike that kept him off the ranking or a scary evil bike that put him right at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009

Slam Pajamas posted:

There was a CYOA where a family moved into a small town where, unbeknownst to the family, once a year the dead would rise and tear apart the flesh of some living. They didn't kill and eat every human being that they came across, there was a segment with the reader/their sibling going to school among the living dead, but they did kill quite a few. I remember a segment where the protagonist had to hide in the bathroom stall while they reached up from underneath. I think it was called Ghoul Day or something but searches dont bring anything up.

It was a pretty grim book, I tried to find the happiest ending and the best in terms of fewest deaths was where only the mother turned into a ghoul.

This sounds like a CYOA version of the very first Goosebumps book; Welcome to Dead House.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
Anyone else read the one where students try to overthrow teachers and a dog girl fights an art teacher in plate mail? It ended with a bunch of kids being zombified and enslaved by another group of kids who were obsessed with cars, title was like “the war between the teachers and students”

Also: VEGEMORPHS

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

WarpDogs posted:

you nailed both. I'll grab a copy of the former for my kid, but I wish the latter had remained a title I had forgotten lol. reading the plot summary of the books is unlocking memories that probably should have stayed dead

the good news is that the names are somehow way more ridiculous than I remembered

my god

I read nothing else in that screenshot, but laughed hysterically that somebody named all their characters SaDiablo

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I read a poo poo ton of hardy boys, but I remember nothing other than that they were ghost written and that one (I think there were 2 regulars?) of their friends was named Chet Morton. I don't even remember the main characters names.

I read the stupid Hardy Boys and Tom Swift 90s crossovers, and they were so forgettable that I remember one of them had a sci-fi bit near the end that really fascinated me, I remember thinking it was cool, and I have absolutely no memory of what that bit was.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Fourth grade: A book with a green cover that was about a Native American. I don't think it was an historical novel, so not Hiawatha or Squanto. I remember nothing about this book except for the cover, which was set in a forest and featured a Native American character squatting in front of something he was examining on the ground.

Around the same time, I read Maniac Magee about some orphan kid living in a poor area. He made a name for himself by successfully untying a rope with a legendarily tough knot and other adventures I don't quite remember.

Eighth grade: The Pigman. Don't remember much except something about a rafting trip?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Fourth grade: A book with a green cover that was about a Native American. I don't think it was an historical novel, so not Hiawatha or Squanto. I remember nothing about this book except for the cover, which was set in a forest and featured a Native American character squatting in front of something he was examining on the ground.

That's gotta be Sign of the Beaver, of which I also remember nothing except the cover and the title which we all sniggered over. A Day No Pigs Would Die is another one where we thought the title was fuckin' dumb and I don't remember a thing about it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

That's gotta be Sign of the Beaver, of which I also remember nothing except the cover and the title which we all sniggered over. A Day No Pigs Would Die is another one where we thought the title was fuckin' dumb and I don't remember a thing about it.

That's it! Looking at a summary now, I can't help but wonder how stereotypical the Native American stuff was, even though it still seems to be recommended reading.

e: Apparently it's based on a real story, so that's interesting. I think my class mostly just found it dull reading, iirc.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

In maybe like fourth or fifth grade we had to read one about a frontiersman or trapper or something and literally the only thing I remember from it is one dude exclaiming something like "Geeze, Jim, you're pigeon-toed!"

I think I also remember a book that might have been about William Tell? I literally remember nothing about it other than a vague sense of like a 50s-era conception of the late middle ages.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Around the same time, I read Maniac Magee about some orphan kid living in a poor area. He made a name for himself by successfully untying a rope with a legendarily tough knot and other adventures I don't quite remember.

I bet he did so in a way that made Alexander very disappointed.

Silentlocke
Feb 13, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I read a book in like 5th grade about someone making friends with someone from 'another dimension' or something. the person from another dimension was mostly invisible and unnoticeable, but for some reason, when they stepped into a pool, people could see their outline in the water. Read it in 1995 or so.

Any clues anyone?

It feels like it could be Eerie Indiana #4: Simon and Marshall's Excellent Adventure?

Here's one, a kid goes to a reform school or summer school and finds a cave with a tiny ancient city in it that he spends weeks uncovering from the sand it was buried in while making friends with the nerdy awkward kid and it ends with the bully destroying the city with a derringer he took from the awkward kid that can only be shot by pressing a decorative jewel on the handle rather than the trigger.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Eighth grade: The Pigman. Don't remember much except something about a rafting trip?

Ohh, man, The Pigman. I remember that in middle school and it was a distressingly sad book. I think it was one of the first books I ever read that had an unambiguously bad ending.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It was elementary school but it was a book about a vampire bunny or something that sucked on carrots

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It was elementary school but it was a book about a vampire bunny or something that sucked on carrots

Bunnicula?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Looked it up and yeah it was Bunnicula Strikes Back lol

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

lol the cover looks like a poo poo post

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Bunnicula was my dude.

I read the Pit Dragon Trilogy in middle school. I remember the bones of the plot. I know there's a new one since I read them but I'm worried it won't hold up to y own fond memories of it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Silentlocke posted:

It feels like it could be Eerie Indiana #4: Simon and Marshall's Excellent Adventure?

Here's one, a kid goes to a reform school or summer school and finds a cave with a tiny ancient city in it that he spends weeks uncovering from the sand it was buried in while making friends with the nerdy awkward kid and it ends with the bully destroying the city with a derringer he took from the awkward kid that can only be shot by pressing a decorative jewel on the handle rather than the trigger.

Is that the one where the tiny cityfolk worshipped snakes and the bully ends up poisoned by ancient snake venom?

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Summer of the Monkeys - A boy recaptures some monkeys that escaped from their circus train.

Adam of the Road - A medieval minstrel boy has his dog stolen.

And one I read on my own that I can never remember the name of: a kid gets a gift from some lost relative and inside it contains some self replicating crab creatures. The crab creatures build some weird tower/machine in the basement and can stop time. Eventually the government sends some g-men to collect the creatures and it ends on a cliffhanger. I liked the book but really hated that it ended on a cliffhanger.

edit: it was called The Boxes

TK8325 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 17, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

UwUnabomber posted:

Bunnicula was my dude.

There was a cartoon series too.

I know this because in 2018 I was unemployed and goin' through some poo poo so I watched the gently caress out of it on Cartoon Network that October.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Youremother posted:

Ohh, man, The Pigman. I remember that in middle school and it was a distressingly sad book. I think it was one of the first books I ever read that had an unambiguously bad ending.

I remember liking the book quite a bit when it was assigned, but now I remember very little aside from the female character lecturing the guy on smoking and the rafting trip. I'm going to have to reread it if I can get my hands on a copy.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I remember reading a book about the creation of a space colony on some planet where they had a bunch of hydrogen storage that got messed up.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

dangerburrd posted:

Anyone else read the one where students try to overthrow teachers and a dog girl fights an art teacher in plate mail? It ended with a bunch of kids being zombified and enslaved by another group of kids who were obsessed with cars, title was like “the war between the teachers and students”

https://www.amazon.com/Between-Pitiful-Teachers-Splendid-Kids/dp/0380578026

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

This thread just reminded me of this book called On My Honor where two kids go swimming in a river and one drowns so the other goes home and tries to fake like nothing happened (??)

I also remember Sign of the Beaver because I think the kid teaches himself Latin at some point and I was amazed that someone could do that

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

This thread just reminded me of this book called On My Honor where two kids go swimming in a river and one drowns so the other goes home and tries to fake like nothing happened (??)

oh man this just unlocked a memory, so I guess I read it too. In fact I remember an entire shelf in my classroom, probably 6th grade or so, where there was a genre of book of like... two childhood friends, one dies, the other deals with it in a variety of ways

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Holy hell this is it, thanks

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Near the beginning of primary school the teacher read us this book about a kid escaping from a concentration camp and travelling across Europe to get back to his family. I vaguely remember his friend starves to death and there’s a cool dog and some bad dude tries to hand him in to the Nazis? Seems kinda heavy for six year olds

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Now that I think about it, The House With A Clock In Its Walls. I think it had a sequel, and I may have read the sequel first. I remember nothing about it except a kid meets a creepy old dude who becomes a mentor figure, and the old dude lives in a house that has a clock in its walls. The clock won't stop ticking! Something supernatural happens. Apparently there's been a movie made in the last few years.

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur

WarpDogs posted:

you nailed both. I'll grab a copy of the former for my kid, but I wish the latter had remained a title I had forgotten lol. reading the plot summary of the books is unlocking memories that probably should have stayed dead

the good news is that the names are somehow way more ridiculous than I remembered

my god

The names are truly absurd but I still love Black Jewels. The latest one just came out in March and her other books are pretty good too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

istewart posted:

Now that I think about it, The House With A Clock In Its Walls. I think it had a sequel, and I may have read the sequel first. I remember nothing about it except a kid meets a creepy old dude who becomes a mentor figure, and the old dude lives in a house that has a clock in its walls. The clock won't stop ticking! Something supernatural happens. Apparently there's been a movie made in the last few years.

yeah, I think that was a whole series? I remember reading a couple of the later ones with the cool old witch lady - in one of them, a lady wishes to be young and beautiful forever and gets turned into a tree.

oh man I loved that book. It's very kind of standard 80s YA fiction but there's something very strong about the writing and characterization that I remember being really fond of. Other adventures included being really fast and good at running, befriending a bunch of zoo animals, and solving racism.

Here's mine. Collection of short stories, sci-fi, all about teens in the future. I remember one story had a bunch of rock and roll gangs fighting each other. Another had like a really grim dystopian future where someone's grandpa gets executed for trying to burn a flag in protest? Actually I think there were two dystopian futures, but the other was just a girl visiting an old widow nearby? I can't remember very well.

Silentlocke
Feb 13, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

Is that the one where the tiny cityfolk worshipped snakes and the bully ends up poisoned by ancient snake venom?

I think I remember something about snake fangs arranged around tiny obelisks?

istewart posted:

Yeah, written by John Bellairs who wrote more than a dozen YA books from the late 60s to his death 1991 and some coauthor friends wrote like ten more.

Silentlocke fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 14, 2023

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I remember reading the ghost of Thomas Kemp but not what it was about. Ditto Carries War, that didn't leave much of an impression. There was one of those "prods/micks in love" books but I remember I didn't like it much. And I will never forget the searing hate for Knowledge of Angels.
I'm pretty sure you could narrow down age and location based on this but eeeehhh

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
TerribIe boarding schooI story where aII the girIs were named things Iike Mary Miriam Mandy, Jennifer Joan Jane, and AIice Amy Agnes

That is aII I remember, those stupid 3 names starting with the same Ietter characters

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

In primary school, that would have been kindergarten through the third grade, there was a picture book that I absolutely loved. It showed a city sheet from its inception through time, up to the twentieth century and finally ending with what it might look like in the future. I especially adored the nineteenth century picture, with its gas lighting and horse carts. Whenever we went to the library, I was sure to pull it out and pour over the pictures.

No clue at all what the book was called now or anything that would help me locate a copy.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ortho posted:

In primary school, that would have been kindergarten through the third grade, there was a picture book that I absolutely loved. It showed a city sheet from its inception through time, up to the twentieth century and finally ending with what it might look like in the future. I especially adored the nineteenth century picture, with its gas lighting and horse carts. Whenever we went to the library, I was sure to pull it out and pour over the pictures.

No clue at all what the book was called now or anything that would help me locate a copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vog1shTL6f0

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

After I’d posted here, I posted in the Book Barn and that was suggested. I will say, the art style looked a good bit like that and I do remember the pictures spanning both pages, but it couldn’t have possibly been that exact book. It was published at the end of 1998. I was in high school by that time. My primary school years were between 1988 and 1992.

I have the vaguest recollection that it was set in Providence, RI, or if not Rhode Island, then at least some place called Providence. I wish I could remember anything about the story it told, but truth be known, I doubt I ever read a word of it. I was in it solely for the pictures.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Vaguely remember reading a book called UFOs and Oranges about a couple of kids who hitch a ride on a UFO and fight somebody with bows and flaming arrows, apparently the state of the art in weapons tech for the interstellar set. Then they go home. Can’t remember how oranges were involved.

Fake edit: Oranges and UFO’s (sic) not UFOs and Oranges.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

skasion posted:

Chet is the fat guy. The other buddy is Biff iirc

biff hooper i think. biff isnt his real name either its a nickname. also sometimes showing up tony napolitano who usually shows up cuz his uncle or whoever acquired a shrunken head for his curio shop which kickstarts a plot of some kind. iola is chets sister and franks gf is named callie shaw. i remember full names for some reason

quote:

I’ve heard that the early books are noir-inspired and anti-cop and some of them were later redacted to be more pro-establishment. A lot were also Sax Rohmer level racist

sorry for necro. i guess the anti cop thing comes from how they solve all their crimes themselves? iirc the early books had a more sinister, dangerous vibe as criminals loved freaking them with weird poo poo and sometimes theyd end up in a creepy old house or on some frozen lake risking hypothermia. if you have more info on like the anti cop stuff & the redactions wouldnt mind reading. read a fair slew of these growing up

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

In grade 7 I read a poo poo ton of the Mack Boland, Executioner books. What I remember from all of them: he killed mobsters, loving descriptions of firearms, and they took like half an hour each to read.

Around the same time I also read through a large portion of Louis L'Amour's books. Those were much better, still a firearm fetish, and took like 2 hours each to read. Cowboys, sometimes with love interests.

And that's about all I remember about those books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

And there were also scary evil bicycles that were powered by animal sacrifices. And there were Hellraiser demon chains.

Book 3 spent most of its time infodumping the mechanics of a demonic social credit ranking system and the conflict was about the new protagonist having to choose between his Jesus bike that kept him off the ranking or a scary evil bike that put him right at the top.

Yes, I totally read all of these from our church library. I remember being super creeped out by the evil bikes (I forgot about the animal sacrifices!). Also by the ending where the one bad kid is like the only survivor running around with everyone else frozen (raptured?)

Also from our church library I remember reading about a missionary family that were always doing weird and creepy stuff, like going down into a cave with poisonous bats. One time the boy had to fly a plane blind, I think?