Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

...were those Star Wars laser sound effects during the tank sequence?

That's probably enemies with Rocket Launchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I... uh... may not be able to beat the Control level on original hardware :negative:

I'm not even getting close, really. This level sucks rear end on 00 Agent, not just because of the infamous "Protect Natalya" objective but because every time you fail, you have to go through ten minutes of bullshit. A loving drone gun pointed at the elevator you start in? That whole room with the assholes who spam grenades? I need health to survive the section with Natalya hacking the loving computer, so I need to take these annoying early parts of the level slowly, but I get impatient because I want to get to the loving objective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYeA65nh0Jc

"Then all you have to do is defend Natalya from the second floor" Yeah, and when I'm doing that, one of the hat-wearing assholes shoots me from the side and the guys going for Natalya just slip through, and if one of them gets past me it's all over. I know this is a skill issue, but holy poo poo.

I guess I'll have to do this on Xbox, because I at least know I can beat the level there. Or maybe I'll just try another spot instead of spawncamping the enemies, which is definitely a good strategy if you're competent at video games and can actually kill the dudes quickly but might not work if you're a dumbass like me.

edit: Complaining on the internet (and trying a different spot on the lower floor) helped! :getin:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 26, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Ahh, the classic mantra: Bitch and Ye Shall Receive

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Probably my least favourite level in the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Probably my least favourite level in the game.
I think Control is everyone's least favorite level in the game. I was stuck in this level for weeks, maybe a month when I was a kid.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I know I beat Control on 00 as a teenager. I full cleared the game including all the cheats, so I must have. But I have not the slightest recollection how.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

We just had way more time and patience when we were kids. Devote a whole weekend to obsessively trying to clear one level? Sure, it's better than homework.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I definitely remember running Facility over and over and over and over, for what I am certain was at least a thousand attempts, to clear that damned Invincible cheat. You know, the one that not only required you to play perfectly, but also required a randomly placed NPC to be in one specific location out of several possible ones (I think it was actually 2 out of 5 possible locations that would work?) right near the end of the level.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I definitely remember running Facility over and over and over and over, for what I am certain was at least a thousand attempts, to clear that damned Invincible cheat. You know, the one that not only required you to play perfectly, but also required a randomly placed NPC to be in one specific location out of several possible ones (I think it was actually 2 out of 5 possible locations that would work?) right near the end of the level.
I remember wondering how that one was even technically possible and never even attempted to do it when I was a kid. Fortunately, they eventually published the button codes in magazines, so I was able to get all the cheats I wanted without having to be any good at the game.

25 years later, after beating the main missions on Xbox, I decided to go for the invincibility cheat unlock out of curiosity (and because the codes don't exist on Xbox as far as I know). Took a few attempts but I eventually got it, and it didn't take more than 15 minutes.

Now, invisibility on the other hand... yeah, I'm still not going to bother. You saw how bad I am at navigating Archives, and invisibility is kinda boring anyway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's really fascinating because Bond Invisible didn't present me with much difficulty at all. 30 or 40 tries maybe.

As for Invincible, I also puzzled over how it could be possible for a while before I realized that it only takes three remote mines to blow up the ten tanks, and strategic (and perfect) use of the other two is what makes it possible.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

DMorbid posted:

I think Control is everyone's least favorite level in the game. I was stuck in this level for weeks, maybe a month when I was a kid.

It's the ulimate example of what I said afew days ago about a game that's supposedly about a secret again but has you gunning down swarms of fuckers in a big open area. It's the antithesis of what a spy should be.

Akratic Method posted:

We just had way more time and patience when we were kids. Devote a whole weekend to obsessively trying to clear one level? Sure, it's better than homework.

These days I'd rather read a book in my big blue chair with my cats in my lap, then occasionally bitch about the controls of the game online.

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's really fascinating because Bond Invisible didn't present me with much difficulty at all. 30 or 40 tries maybe.

As for Invincible, I also puzzled over how it could be possible for a while before I realized that it only takes three remote mines to blow up the ten tanks, and strategic (and perfect) use of the other two is what makes it possible.

I figured that out, but I still couldn't do it. I didn't try that hard for cheats because they were essentially help for people who had proven that they didn't need it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They were the forerunners of cheevos.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JustJeff88 posted:

It's the ulimate example of what I said afew days ago about a game that's supposedly about a secret again but has you gunning down swarms of fuckers in a big open area. It's the antithesis of what a spy should be.

These days I'd rather read a book in my big blue chair with my cats in my lap, then occasionally bitch about the controls of the game online.

I figured that out, but I still couldn't do it. I didn't try that hard for cheats because they were essentially help for people who had proven that they didn't need it.

It's actually pretty accurate to bond tbh. World's worst spy, but anywhere he goes there's a trail of carnage, explosions, and the bodies of people M sent him after.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

They were the forerunners of cheevos.

That is a very good way to put it - I don't like achievements either.

FoolyCharged posted:

It's actually pretty accurate to bond tbh. World's worst spy, but anywhere he goes there's a trail of carnage, explosions, and the bodies of people M sent him after.

That's basically it. He's a lovely spy because if he were any good he would solve things in subtle and non-violent ways, but it makes for :airquote: good :airquote: films.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JustJeff88 posted:

I was just thinking about how this is still around in some sense while doing reruns of the Resident Evil 4 remake to unlock some of the cheat-like weapons and accessories. Like, the accessory cat ear headgear :buddy: that gives you infinite ammo is locked behind doing a fast run in the hardest difficulty with limited manual saves and no NG+ carryover of weapons and items. There's basically no chance I could pull that off even with infinite ammo, and if I could do it normally, I'd have such a level of mastery that I probably wouldn't care about it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JustJeff88 posted:

That is a very good way to put it - I don't like achievements either.

That's basically it. He's a lovely spy because if he were any good he would solve things in subtle and non-violent ways, but it makes for :airquote: good :airquote: films.

He's a hatchet man. His job title is the special killer man that's given permission to kill. His spycraft is terrible across the books and the movies because that's not his specialty. Him being a crude murder man that has to shoot his way out of repeated mistakes does make good books and movies, just not the heavy espionage thrillers you seem to want them to be.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

The controls, while not perfect by any means, are absolutely fine unless you're using the wrong layout and/or the stick range is wrong like in the Switch version. I assure you I would not be doing this LP - certainly not on loving 00 Agent - if the controls were as horrendously unusable as you've been suggesting. "Oh but DM, you keep missing your shots!" Yes, that's because I'm a dumbass who's bad at video games. :eng99:

With the right layout it just plays like a console shooter, especially on the Xbox. Of course, some folks would consider "console shooter" and "completely unplayable" the exact same thing and are more than happy to shout that from the rooftops, but we're not having any of that poo poo in this thread.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of me being bad at video games!

Episode 5: Derailed

Train kept a-rollin' all night long, or something to that effect.

Upon further inspection, the drone gun in Depot only does 1.5-2 bars of damage so it's not *quite* as vicious as I made it out to be. I'd already lost one bar before that, and because the top bars are bigger for some reason it looks like you're losing more health than you actually are.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 27, 2023

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Love me some Train, with or without an RCP-90.

Goldeneye is the kind of game where on the lower difficulties, it's a fun blast but it gets all of these puzzle-like aspects at 00 Agent - positioning to shoot without being shot at, the whole thing with closing doors so you can hear them opening behind you, ammo conservation, health preservation. I totally understand how frustrating it can be, but I loved it. Working out how to beat Train on 00 Agent - and Control - was fun for me, in 1998.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Back in the day, on our small TV, I always thought the D5K Deutsche was called DSK. I didn't make the connection that it was supposed to be an MP5.
But man, I'm really wanting to play this game again.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I could have sworn to god that there was an RCP90 on 00 Agent Train.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nope! It's specifically removed on 00.

Lynneth posted:

Back in the day, on our small TV, I always thought the D5K Deutsche was called DSK. I didn't make the connection that it was supposed to be an MP5.
But man, I'm really wanting to play this game again.

Hell, same. We also pronounced it "douche" because we were 14.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Train levels are the best part of any FPS.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I think the most uncanny thing about the N64 version is how the faces feel like they're a higher resolution than everything else, so they're sort of swimming out of the blurry surroundings like a surfacing fish.
From the last page, but I thought you should know you are partially to blame for this for mentioning GoldenEye faces swimming like a fish and putting this horrible image into my head:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:stonklol:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

DMorbid posted:

From the last page, but I thought you should know you are partially to blame for this for mentioning GoldenEye faces swimming like a fish and putting this horrible image into my head:

it's beautiful

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That's perfect... ly terrifying.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The main issue with Depot is that it is a massive level, and since this is the era before developers would throw in the "here's the big hint about the objective(s)" markers, you don't know which warehouses are the ones you need for the objectives until you blunder inside them. It's not a bad level, per se, but just being this wide area that you are meant to wander aimlessly around in makes it a tedious experience. It would be a nice multiplayer level and IIRC, the planned Xbox 360 release would have included it as one, in addition to a few others that got scrapped for the original N64 release like the Frigate level of all things.

:staredog:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Don't worry, the Aztec level is currently punishing me for my crimes against... err... whatever Seadwayne there is a crime against. Most things, I think.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 6: Controlling Transmission

Time for the mission everyone remembers for all the wrong reasons! I really struggled with this for a while but started doing way better when I went to the lower floor instead of trying to spawncamp the enemies. The episode title is of course a Killer Instinct reference.

Speaking of Killer Instinct, here's that theme song I mentioned in the video.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Oh god this level, I think I'd blocked it out in my memory.

I think as an idiot child I was stuck on this for weeks, on easy.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact, Boris in fact runs to, and despawns while standing directly on that body armor in the little hidden room.

But yeah, not only does Natalya get mad if you shoot him... you're denying him a far, far funnier end, for those who've seen the movie.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, Control Center is just...not fun. Back when I was a kid, I had no idea about the different enemy AI for hats vs no hats, so I just fired all over the place trying to kill enemies before Natalya died. Just an unfun level altogether.

Fun fact about Xenia's "boss fight": one of the things that the official strategy guide (which I recently discovered I still own) mentions in their tips about Jungle is that Xenia can't shoot on a diagonal while on the bridge right before she spawns in, meaning you can trigger Xenia, rush back across the bridge and fire on her at angle from one of the sides and kill her. It's probably a weird case of hardware limitations working in your favor, but it is an interesting alternate tactic to dealing with Xenia.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

If you pay close attention, the fact that enemies use the same guide-rails to determine where they can walk and where they can shoot comes in handy quite a lot. In the Control video, you can see how they never target the player while on the stairs: because they can't walk off the sides of the stairs, they can't shoot across the sides of the stairs either. It's a super helpful limitation to know about, to the point that I think I might have learned that from the official player's guide.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm a little surprised you didn't use your spare two remote mines on the Natalya defense to blow up some of the guards that like to hang at the top.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

I'm a little surprised you didn't use your spare two remote mines on the Natalya defense to blow up some of the guards that like to hang at the top.
I don't need any more things to keep track of during that whole mess. Ideally, I'd just sit in front of the stairs they all spawn from, as is shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYeA65nh0Jc

But it wasn't working for me on this run because I kept getting distracted by guys shooting me from the sides, so I watched another video and did exactly what they did.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 007: Licence to Kill

Using the UK spelling for Licence here (also not to be confused with the multiplayer mode or the custom challenge mode). In the last main plot episode, we pursue Trevelyan through the caverns and fight through the Janus antenna cradle (which sadly doesn't blow up and land on Alec like it does in the film) on our way to the last showdown.

One thing I forgot to mention is that there are actually two more body armor pickups in Cradle so in theory you can go for those if you're struggling, but the catch is that both pickups are at the end of their own Walkway of DeathTM like the first one and you'll probably end up losing all of that armor immediately as you try to make your way back because there's no cover on those walkways.

Another thing I wanted to show but just wasn't able to get to happen is Trevelyan blowing himself up with a grenade if you stand in the right spot outside one of the shacks. I really tried, but he just wasn't doing it. Maybe the XBLA version removed that.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 4, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, I forgot it had those weird credits. So bizarre, it reminds me of their Donkey Kong Country fakeout credit roll, but then it just turns into actual credits. But also all in front of the two 3D models in their kissing animation :psyduck:

Anyway, thanks for running through it all, it's been a lot of fun to see the campaign since I remember it less than multiplayer. Looking forward to whatever else you'll be showing off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
So happy that you showed off the dual AR33, the most random of things to find in a late level, especially after the RCP90 from Train didn't make its way into higher difficulties.

Onwards to the real bullshit!