Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Robert Deadford posted:

So happy that you showed off the dual AR33, the most random of things to find in a late level, especially after the RCP90 from Train didn't make its way into higher difficulties.
Even weirder is that you find the dual AR-33's at the literal end of the level, when all you have left is the exit and/or one last pump control room to deal with (depending on whether or not you found the hidden passageway).

Now for the two bonus levels, both of which are extremely difficult and also weird in general. Like, the player's guide for Aztec suggests that it is somehow after the events of Moonraker with the byline of (paraphrased) "...while Hugo Drax's remains still float in outer space...", and yet Jaws still works for Drax's organization despite, you know, his betrayal at the end being a big twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
How does wearing sunglasses affect the Beret Power Scale?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

In GoldenEye, sunglasses are generally reserved for the very strongest of men. I don't remember off the top of my head if only the blue beret guys wear sunglasses in this level or if the others do as well, but the official beret power rankings (from weakest to strongest) are as follows:

Black: One ZMG, 50% accuracy bonus, least armor
Red: Two ZMGs, 60% accuracy bonus, more armor
Blue: Two ZMGs, 80% accuracy bonus, most armor

All of them also have increased action speed and reactions, but I don't have the exact numbers for those.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 5, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also now that the main game has been cleared I can share these funny death/moment montages someone recorded a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sKMnjxtKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmRPvIAu6wM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ffiy6S6Kh0

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 8: Legends

We're not playing 007 Legends, thankfully, just doing the bonus levels based on various Roger Moore films to finish up the single player portion of the LP. The Legends LP I refer to in the video is of course this one by Jobbo Fett: https://lparchive.org/007-Legends/

AradoBalanga posted:

Like, the player's guide for Aztec suggests that it is somehow after the events of Moonraker with the byline of (paraphrased) "...while Hugo Drax's remains still float in outer space...", and yet Jaws still works for Drax's organization despite, you know, his betrayal at the end being a big twist.
I just watched Moonraker while the 4K version of the video was processing on YouTube, and yeah, Aztec is apparently supposed to be some sort of weird followup to the film and takes place in Mexico instead of Brazil like in the movie, although it does do a fantastic job recreating some of those sets. As you said, Jaws being there doesn't really make any sense if you've seen the film (and gunning him down feels kinda cruel, although it *is* Jaws so he was probably just stunned and walked away offscreen), but it's pretty obvious the priority here was just to make a couple of cool bonus levels based on the old films and not worry about continuity too much.

I also forgot to mention in the video that Egyptian is a multiplayer level as well. Apparently, it's only available for two players (the game limits which levels are accessible based on the number of players, with the more complex maps being unselectable if there's four or, in some cases, three players), and I don't know how well it works as a two-player map because I've never unlocked it until this year. I'd show it off in the multiplayer videos, but I haven't beaten the Switch version on 00 Agent and really don't feel like doing another 00 Agent playthrough just to unlock this one multiplayer level in a version I'm not going to play very much.

Speaking of multiplayer, I feel like I should clarify that when I say the old Bonds were in "early versions" of the game, I of course mean during development. There is no released version of GoldenEye that has the models in, although the textures can still be accessed with Gameshark codes. On the day the team had to remove the Bonds, they had a big deathmatch (first to 100 kills, which also isn't a mode you can play in the final game so either that option was taken out or they just kept score manually) which was won by Mark Edmonds - playing as Moore - by one kill.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 7, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Was there a multiplayer Aztec level? The name sure sounded familiar, but watching the playthrough didn't ring a bell at all. The internet is giving me conflicting info about whether or not it was in there.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Was there a multiplayer Aztec level? The name sure sounded familiar, but watching the playthrough didn't ring a bell at all. The internet is giving me conflicting info about whether or not it was in there.
No. Egyptian is unlockable as a multiplayer level (which I just added to the update post because I forgot to mention it on commentary) but Aztec isn't, except maybe with some sort of hacking shenanigans.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah, ok. Must just be some weird half-remembered thing from reading about the game at some point, I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I remember Gamesharking to play multiplayer on Cradle, which is definitely a thing to do if you love sniping duels.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Statue and Cradle were planned as multiplayer maps but eventually cut, apparently because the splitscreen performance was abysmal. The spawn points and weapon pickups are still in the code, so you can reactivate the levels for multiplayer with Gameshark codes and see how badly they run. Cradle in particular already struggles quite a bit in single player mode, so I can't imagine it being very pleasant.

The rest of the levels may or may not be accessible with the right codes but don't have any of the spawn points or weapon locations or anything. I assume some enterprising modders have figured this stuff out, but by default Statue and Cradle are the only cut multiplayer levels you can actually play with just Gameshark codes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ah, ok. Must just be some weird half-remembered thing from reading about the game at some point, I guess.

Maybe you're having de_Aztec flashbacks. :v: I know I was.

Also was it just me or was Egyptian super small compared to the other maps? Or did we just not see all of it?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I didn't show off every single room, but Egyptian is a small map and seems to have been designed just for the Baron Samedi duel and multiplayer. While a lot of the maps were designed as environments first and FPS levels second, especially early in development, this clearly wasn't one of them.

edit:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 6, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Didnt realize the main game was so short

Then again, I really only played multiplayer at a friends house

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Didnt realize the main game was so short

Then again, I really only played multiplayer at a friends house
You can get through the campaign in just a few hours if you know what you're doing, but what you didn't see in the LP was the hours upon hours of failed attempts on some of the harder levels (*cough* Aztec *cough*). 00 Agent absolutely does not gently caress around.

I'm pretty sure playing through the game even on Agent took me at least two months when I was a kid. The fact I didn't understand English very well didn't help matters, and neither did the fact I was terrible at video games.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Even as a native English speaker as a kid, I was what, 7 when this game came out? And I struggled a lot with figuring out objectives or even basic stuff like opening doors.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A video late on this response, but I remember and enjoyed The Legend of James Bond 007 for the Nintendo Game Boy.

What a wonderfully bizarre little game that was.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

Even as a native English speaker as a kid, I was what, 7 when this game came out? And I struggled a lot with figuring out objectives or even basic stuff like opening doors.

:same: this game taught me a bunch of cool spy words

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Multiplayer, Part 1

Time for some online split screen shenanigans on the Switch! Gameplay starts at 6:50 if you want to skip my explanations of the various modes and options (but you'll miss my reaction to ChaosArgate's character choice), and 8:20 is when ChaosArgate gets his controls sorted out.

This is all we managed to record this past weekend because my internet decided to die and wouldn't stop having issues even after coming back online, but we'll get back to it soon enough. I expect there to be three multiplayer episodes, enough to show off all the levels (except Egyptian, which I haven't unlocked on the Switch and probably won't). Now, while I'd absolutely love to do a multiplayer episode with more than two players, you can see the Switch Online netcode is having enough problems handling the two of us on opposite sides of the Atlantic, so adding more players into the mix would most likely just cause the whole thing to poo poo itself.

Also, one thing I didn't mention in the video is the fact you can actually hear the unused level BGM in multiplayer! In this video, we hear the action themes for Streets (which I think you can hear for just a few seconds in the Streets mission) and Bunker 1 (which isn't used because the level actually uses the Bunker 2 music as its action music), or "Streets X" and "Bunker I X", in Temple and Caves respectively.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 9, 2023

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You know, Oddjob being confused for Knick Knack makes sense given that all of the other bonus Bond villains in multiplayer are from Roger Moore's films (Jaws from both "The Spy Who Loved Me" and the aforementioned "Moonraker", Baron Samedi from "Live and Let Die", and Mayday comes from Moore's last film "A View to a Kill"). So having a random Sean Connery villain is really out of place, unless there were plans for other Connery villains to appear that got scrapped/shut down because Eon Productions was shortsighted and dumb. Hell, I'm amazed Jack Wade (or Felix Leiter for that matter) didn't sneak in as a multiplayer bonus character.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Apparently, Jack Wade was intended to appear in some capacity in the campaign, but that had to be scrapped because Joe Don Baker hadn't allowed his likeness to be used. At least he didn't threaten to beat anyone up like he did when Mystery Science Theater 3000 made fun of one of his films a few years earlier.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

DMorbid posted:

Apparently, Jack Wade was intended to appear in some capacity in the campaign, but that had to be scrapped because Joe Don Baker hadn't allowed his likeness to be used. At least he didn't threaten to beat anyone up like he did when Mystery Science Theater 3000 made fun of one of his films a few years earlier.

They could have even done two Joe Don Bakers! Shame.

(he is also in The Living Daylights as the villain)

Enjoyed the multi-player very much, especially the line about pressing the buttons. A key strategy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mirotic posted:

(he is also in The Living Daylights as the villain)

Oh my god, how did I forget that? I think that was even the "good" Dalton one, I guess it's been long enough that I've forgotten pretty much all about it.

But yeah, a little N64 Joe Don Baker or two running around in the game would've been awesome.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

At least they had the sense not to include Sheriff J.W. Pepper from Live and Let Die and The Man With the Golden Gun. :bahgawd: (jesus christ why was that guy in two films)

Seriously though, according to Brett "B" Jones, the inclusion of Oddjob, Baron Samedi and Mayday was mainly because Jones wanted to add some PoC characters and another female character into the game, and these three fit the bill nicely.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

DMorbid posted:

At least they had the sense not to include Sheriff J.W. Pepper from Live and Let Die and The Man With the Golden Gun. :bahgawd: (jesus christ why was that guy in two films)

Oh gods, don't remind me. Like Golden Gun would've been one of the best Moore one if it wasn't for him in my eyes.
I mean it still is, but those parts just so bad.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh this is going to bother me if I don't say it.

And it's super pedantic.

But the quote in Goldeneye is "No glib remark? No pithy comeback."

Actually now that I'm typing this that difference could have been entirely by intent in which case forgive me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Oh this is going to bother me if I don't say it.

And it's super pedantic.

But the quote in Goldeneye is "No glib remark? No pithy comeback."

Actually now that I'm typing this that difference could have been entirely by intent in which case forgive me.
Yes, that was completely intentional. "Pithy thread title" just sounded kinda weird.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finally got to the actual video, and :hellyeah: that's where the real nostalgia is. So many weekends spent playing hours straight of 1v1 with my best friend til we couldn't stare at TV any longer, some of my favorite memories from back then. It didn't even matter that a lot of my runs went like ChaosArgate's in the second round even without the golden gun in play, on account of me not being so great at the game :v:

I mentioned way back at the start that I love the idea of paintball mode, and I still do. But I'd forgotten that the bright colors and distinct patterns actually help me with orientation - it's a lot easier to keep track of your location and where other people are shooting from with those, compared to generic bullet holes. It instantly jumped out while watching the video, I remember appreciating it way back in the day.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh my god, how did I forget that? I think that was even the "good" Dalton one, I guess it's been long enough that I've forgotten pretty much all about it.

But yeah, a little N64 Joe Don Baker or two running around in the game would've been awesome.

I like both Dalton movies but The Living Daylights is the one I re-watch more, so yes? :shrug: He's definitely more memorable as Jack Wade.

And I suppose Jaws fills the "tall character" slot because Scaramanga otherwise should have been in imo especially with the Golden Gun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I kinda feel like I have to rewatch that and maybe License to Kill. Jeff Bezos should approve of this thread, as it has netted him at least an additional 8-12 bucks this year

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I feel like he's a lot less memorable in the living daylights because the dude playing Necros stole the bad guy spotlight something fierce.

Just goofy rear end agent 47ing around dressing up in silly costumes and throwing exploding milk grenades. All while in setting jamming to his theme in the movie.

Personally I kind of wish Dalton got more of a run, because he made an excellent straight man to the absurdity around him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I couldn't sleep very well last night, so I decided to run through the Switch version on 00 Agent to unlock Egyptian for multiplayer so we can show that off. :shepface:

Admittedly, I cheated my rear end off with NSO's save states and, occasionally, the in-game button codes for invincibility and such (which don't block progress, unlike the cheat menu ones) so I could get through the campaign fast. I figured I'd make things easier for myself since I just wanted to unlock the level and have already beaten the game legitimately on both Xbox and N64.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Multiplayer, Part 2

Getting "Most Honorable" and "Most Cowardly" at the same time actually makes sense if you know what each award is determined by. Here's the full list.

When you see a white horizontal line appear on the bottom left, that's just the edge of the text box that says "your internet connection sucks" that is getting cut off by fitting the actual gameplay into a 16:9 aspect like I did on the N64 (in that case, using the RetroTINK 5X's various zoom and scale options to retain the correct aspect ratio and integer scaling by cutting off what would be the overscan area on a CRT). You may have noticed the slight letterboxing in the Xbox videos and the last multiplayer episode because I couldn't be bothered to adjust the image in post. I still probably wouldn't have bothered, but I had to send the raw footage through Handbrake to fix a small problem caused by the clip's variable frame rate and I figured I might as well let Handbrake do this as well.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 16, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Definitely count me among the people who are not physically capable of Not Screenwatching.

Peripheral vision is a thing, I can't just *not* see it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, when I was playing this with people back in the day, we never even considered having any rules against screenwatching or anything like that. Being able to see other players' screens was just how splitscreen multiplayer worked and we didn't think anything of it.

When we recorded these episodes, I definitely wasn't actively trying to look at ChaosArgate's screen, but I also don't have 100% tunnel vision and I can't not recognize different parts of Facility based on the color of the walls I see in my peripheral vision.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
screenpeeking was part of the game and if you were good at it you dominated maps. :shrug:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Multiplayer, Part 3

The GoldenEye 007 LP concludes with the last set of split-screen deathmatches, and we're going SLAPPERS ONLY in the grand final! But of course, before that, there's still plenty of explosion-related shenanigans to be enjoyed.

I'm not sure why it took me almost three weeks to finally get around to uploading this. :effort:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh man, all those multiplayer gimmicks. But slappers only reigns supreme, I'm not sure I've played another game mode so many times that hit both silly and annoying so hard. Oh well, thanks again for playing through all this, it's been a real nostalgia trip.